Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #12361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Went to see "The Lone Ranger" last night. We enjoyed it, but not everyone will.
Certainly a good film and worth viewing. I don't know why the critics are piling on they way they are. Group think, I guess.

I think they overdid the Tanto weirdness a bit, but he was fun to watch! And I think they did a good job of developing the relationship between the LR and Tanto.

Notice that the LR never killed anybody despite all the mayhem on the screen (except by very improbable accident). This is a requirement by the folks who own the rights to the character. They also did not allow the movie to fool around with the LR origin story. The accuracy of his origins is critical to understanding the character.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #12362
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Certainly a good film and worth viewing. I don't know why the critics are piling on they way they are. Group think, I guess.

I think they overdid the Tanto weirdness a bit, but he was fun to watch! And I think they did a good job of developing the relationship between the LR and Tanto.

Notice that the LR never killed anybody despite all the mayhem on the screen (except by very improbable accident). This is a requirement by the folks who own the rights to the character. They also did not allow the movie to fool around with the LR origin story. The accuracy of his origins is critical to understanding the character.
I think this movie goes on my wish list - full screen, of course. I just finished baking banana-plum-nut bread, using what we had on hand: ripe bananas, walnuts, and an over-loaded plum tree.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #12363

Mowed the grass. Watched a photography instructional video. Ate lunch. Took a nap.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #12364
Give me a forum ...

I had a wonderful time taking an Italian cooking lesson here:

Wine and Thyme Cooking School - Okanagan BC Cooking School and cooking class, Corporate Team-Building Workshops - Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

This was a fully equipped professional kitchen with a cordon bleu trained chef. Ten of us, in teams of two, cooked an entire Italian dinner menu, including had made pizza dough, lasagne, the best Caesar salad I have ever had, home made ice cream, etc, etc. (and liberal helpings of wine). We left with all the menus and a large doggie bag. This was such a fun experience I definitely want to do it again.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #12365
Administrator

Was there a blue moon last night?

We went see Willie Nelson & Family yesterday in an outdoor lawn setting. As usual, I had picnic food and drink duty. DW really enjoyed it, said so multiple times throughout the afternoon and evening. I can't remember the last time she complemented me on my food. Once in a blue moon for sure.

I never saw so many people wearing red bandanas, cowboy boots, and cowboy hats in the Chicago area.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #12366
Gone but not forgotten

Back from 10 days at Woodhaven Lakes.

Nirvana

One of the few times in life to experience total peace.

No Phone
No Internet
No TV
No obligations... to anyone
Feeling totally healthy... no aches, pains or worries
Days spent sailing my canoe, long easy bike rides and walks through the newest nature paths by the streams, watching families enjoying the beach, playing volleyball, skateboarding, tennis, or basketball.
Enjoying the company of my many species of birds, and the baby bunny who is friendly enough to sit next to me as I stir the campfire which contains the rest of the world.
Going to bed at 8 P.M. and sleeping, dreamlessly through the night, to wake with the last hoots of the owls, and the tweeting of the new baby nuthatches... at 4:30 A.M. in the grey dawn.
At about 5 o'clock, the mama doe walks her two fawn, right down the middle of Cherrywood Trail on their way to the meadow. Babies, still white spotted and bouncy.

6 A.M., and the fishermen begin drifting by... smoking their cigarettes, casting their favorite bait or lure, hoping to catch old Fred, the big bass that makes my part of the shoreline his home. Fred exists just to keep everyone happy, and has been caught and released dozens of times. My old willow tree still lies in the lake, and provides cover for the crappie and bluegill to nest and replenish the population. The roots of the tree provide home to the muskrat who disappear during the day, and the somtime resident beaver on alternate years. This has been a good year for fish, and no one complains.

The Canadian Geese population has stabilized, due to the volunteers who oiled the eggs, and I have only seen seven families with about 18 new babies... now within a few weeks of their first flight. Too many geese can pollute our small lakes, so there's a continuing project to keep the numbers in check.

Days go by easily. Eating is no longer a preparation project, but a continuous snacking on veggies and dip, pretzels, Fig Newtons, cheeses, fresh, uncooked young corn on the cob, and periodic slices of summer sausage. (lost 4 pounds) .

Neigbors drop by... not often, but enough to catch up on their families, and exhange pleasantries about vacationing in the quiet of the woods and lakes.

With only a small amount of imagination, it is transportation back to the time of Henry David Thoreau, (my favorite philosopher) and Walden Pond...

In short, a "nothing" week or so... with little brain activity. Even now, some kind of a pleasant aura that is bolstered by coming back to another peaceful no-stress existance. Not one "bad" thing happened while I was gone.

Life IS good... Indeed!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #12367
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
.....The Canadian Geese population has stabilized, due to the volunteers who oiled the eggs, and I have only seen seven families with about 18 new babies... now within a few weeks of their first flight. Too many geese can pollute our small lakes, so there's a continuing project to keep the numbers in check.....
The other thing you can do is coordinate with your local USDA people to do a round-up during the molting period (about now around here). The geese can't fly during the molting period so they round them up and destroy the adults (because they would return to that body of water even if relocated) and relocate the gosslings. A harsh solution, but gets rid of the nuisance (at least for a while).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #12368
Give me a forum ...

What a way to end the day. As I was walking my dog in the neighborhood, out of no where a Pitbull charged and attempted to attack my dog. I yelled 'beat it' and the dog did retreat and out comes the owner who says "he really isn't a bad dog". Then the dog attacks again with me yelling 'beat it' again. Then I lost my cool and used some profanity telling the owner you can't let a Pitbull run loose in a yard. I realize some(maybe most) are OK if trained properly. I've heard from other neighbors that this dog has a history, so there is no excuse for letting this particular dog off leash.

I do wish I had kept my cool, but not easy when being attacked by a dog with a reputation as this one. Same thing happened about a year ago when a Rottweiler slipped through a hole in a fence and came charging towards us. Fortunately that dog tucked his tail when I yelled at it. Owner apologized and that was that.

Looks like I have run out of places to walk my dog in this neighborhood. In the future I will take him to a nearby walking trail around a softball complex. I have never seen any off leash dogs there.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #12369
Recycles dryer sheets

Dawg52,

One of my biggest fears when walking my dogs.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #12370
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Update: B&N came through - UPS delivered my replacement Nook today at 5:30 pm.
Is it really a "replacement"? Sounds like its just MIA and finally accounted for!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #12371

Hey, the excitement never stops around here! Since it's too hot to do much outside I decided to (finally!) learn to use Photoshop's Pen Tool. This is used for making very precise selections and drawing. The Pen Tool draws lines and curves, but they are not pixels, they are lines in the geometric sense in that they have no width and therefore will never show up in the photo. When you see in an advertisement that part of an image was "cut out" very precisely, somebody spent some time with the pen tool. It has a steep learning curve because the controls are not intuitive and one has to grasp the concepts of Bezier curves and draw with them.

It took over an hour to cut out the plastic guy and about an hour for the egg. The egg has varying radius curves so it isn't as easy as it looks. Hopefully with practice those times will go down.

But at least I learned something new today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Egg_with_pen_tool.jpg (71.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Plastic_guy.jpg (53.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #12372
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
What a way to end the day. As I was walking my dog in the neighborhood, out of no where a Pitbull charged and attempted to attack my dog. .........
I always carry a can of Halt. They don't yelp and it doesn't permanently harm them. Better to stop the attack before anyone is hurt.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #12373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What a way to end the day. As I was walking my dog in the neighborhood, out of no where a Pitbull charged and attempted to attack my dog. I yelled 'beat it' and the dog did retreat and out comes the owner who says "he really isn't a bad dog". Then the dog attacks again with me yelling 'beat it' again. Then I lost my cool and used some profanity telling the owner you can't let a Pitbull run loose in a yard. I realize some(maybe most) are OK if trained properly. I've heard from other neighbors that this dog has a history, so there is no excuse for letting this particular dog off leash.

I think you should report him. That dog/owner sounds dangerous, somebody might get hurt.

Are there leash laws in your area?

-ERD50
Old 07-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #12374

Quote:

I do wish I had kept my cool, but not easy when being attacked by a dog with a reputation as this one. Same thing happened about a year ago when a Rottweiler slipped through a hole in a fence and came charging towards us. Fortunately that dog tucked his tail when I yelled at it. Owner apologized and that was that.

Looks like I have run out of places to walk my dog in this neighborhood. In the future I will take him to a nearby walking trail around a softball complex. I have never seen any off leash dogs there.
Dog lover myself Dawg. It might not be a bad idea to carry a small thing of pepper spray. Wont harm the animal in the long run and they will more than likely retreat.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #12375

Planted a couple of Pear trees in the heat of the day. Won't do that again any time soon. Now all I need is a partridge.

Cheers!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #12376

What are the odds. Flying from Tucson to Seattle, we had an old geez sit between Ms G and I. Ms G likes the aisle and I like the window seat. On the way back to Tucson, guess who is sitting between us again. So we are in Sierra Vista doing some shopping and who do I bump into on the way out of Safeway. I think the universe is telling me something. Dad is that you, reincarnated.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #12377
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went on a bike ride with DW and then drove to rental house to exchange a modem. On the way home we stopped off at dog beach to let the pooch play in the waves. Cooked a steak for dinner and now relaxing.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #12378
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I always carry a can of Halt. They don't yelp and it doesn't permanently harm them. Better to stop the attack before anyone is hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think you should report him. That dog/owner sounds dangerous, somebody might get hurt.

Are there leash laws in your area?

-ERD50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Dog lover myself Dawg. It might not be a bad idea to carry a small thing of pepper spray. Wont harm the animal in the long run and they will more than likely retreat.
I'll probably buy some spray to carry around in the future. But will also avoid the street with the Pitt Bull.

I think the lady may have been grilling some burgers and had the dog outside for a potty break. The street and neighborhood as a whole is very quite so she probably thought the odds of an incident was low. Just guessing. But you can't take chances with any dog who has had a checkered past. There are leash laws, but I would hate to report her though as she is known to help out the old folks in the neighborhood. Those people would probably consider me more of an ass than they already do.

I'm planning on moving within the next year or two anyway so I'm going to let it go. I made it clear I wasn't happy.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #12379
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll probably buy some spray to carry around in the future. ......
I buy it on eBay - about $8. One suppler also has HaltII which is supposed to shoot farther and be more effective.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #12380
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I buy it on eBay - about $8. One suppler also has HaltII which is supposed to shoot farther and be more effective.
Our town isn't a big unleashed dog place, but recently I was walking our 16-lb.-er and across the street a Doberman came charging out of an unlatched gate at us. I'm afraid of big dogs and amazed myself by yelling "No!" as loud as I could. He stopped, the homeowner came running from the backyard, and the dog went home. Since then we don't walk down that particular block, but it would be nice to be prepared. I would probably spray the Halt in my own face, but I wonder if something like this would work:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DogHornPkg.jpg (104.3 KB, 1 views)