Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #1221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
You mean, you wanted one who rode a hawg, and cooked?

R
Yeah...I guess my expectations are too high....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #1222
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Tell you what....I'll fix your roof for a piece of cake.
Deal!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #1223
Give me a forum ...

Ok... Maybe I should bring two pairs of high heel shoes though.....
Old 04-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #1224
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Making sourdough whole-wheat bread, completely from scratch (including grinding the wheat into flour). Been waiting a week for the starter to develop, its in the oven now. Will let you know how it turns out.

R
Came out really nice. Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, rich sourdough favor, kind of like a good European artisan bread...yum. MIL is here. she didn't like it...only bread she eats is white sandwich bread. DW and I thought it was yum though.

R
Old 04-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #1225
Give me a forum ...

Played golf this morning and boy was that a mistake. Played pretty good but the wind was blowing 15-25mph and it did a number on my sinuses. Took some meds(not my normal one's) and I almost got sick to my stomach. My eyes feel completely dried out. Head about to split open.

Oh well, get a good night sleep and get ready for the final 2 rounds of the Master's.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #1226

Played 18 holes at a gorgeous course overlooking the ocean.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #1227
Moderator Emeritus

Walked the beach on Mustang Island (off of Corpus Christie) this morning. Watched the high tide upchuck our plastics and its dead fish. Kept my shoes on.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 04-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #1228
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Walked the beach on Mustang Island (off of Corpus Christie) this morning. Watched the high tide upchuck our plastics and its dead fish. Kept my shoes on.
Easy there. That's not the retirement picture the chamber of commerce is trying to project.

Official web site for City of Corpus Christi, Texas
Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #1229
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Two (three?) weeks ago we stayed, one night, at the Watersedge RV Park in Rockport. They don't have a beach but the walk along their Pier was fantastic. In the morning, the fog was extremely thick creating one of the most visually attractive scenes on our travels. I could fall in love with the Gulf of Mexico very easily.

(I did mention to the "Full-timers" parked next to us that I suspected March is not August there. They, by the way, retired from Katy, Texas -- a nice place on its own -- to live at this park)
Old 04-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #1230
Give me a forum ...

Spent the morning with my grandson who is visiting . Lots of fun but now I need a nap .
Old 04-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #1231
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
T...They don't have a beach but the walk along their Pier was fantastic. In the morning, the fog was extremely thick creating one of the most visually attractive scenes on our travels. I could fall in love with the Gulf of Mexico very easily.
Photos, please.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #1232
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Two (three?) weeks ago we stayed, one night, at the Watersedge RV Park in Rockport. They don't have a beach but the walk along their Pier was fantastic. In the morning, the fog was extremely thick creating one of the most visually attractive scenes on our travels. I could fall in love with the Gulf of Mexico very easily.

(I did mention to the "Full-timers" parked next to us that I suspected March is not August there. They, by the way, retired from Katy, Texas -- a nice place on its own -- to live at this park)
Hey, I have stayed at that park. Nice warm pool. Nice restaurant down the street. The pier is lovely.

Ordinarily the beach here on Mustang is quite nice. The previous evening I walked for several miles barefoot, watching the birds and warming my toes. But for some reason this morning it was quite gross. I wonder if cleanup crews come in the morning and scoop up the detritus before company comes.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 04-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #1233
Give me a forum ...

Slept in until 8 AM. Woke up to coffee made, dishwasher emptied, and all the ingredients for a huge bowl of fresh strawberry shortcake for breakfast at the ready.
Trimmed dead canes from blackberry bushes, saw a lot of mole tunnel damage in the strawberry bed. Have more than enough runners next to the bed to replenish the lost ones. Need warmer weather to do the transplanting. Assessed the garden for the best placement of the mini-vineyard. The grapevines should be shipping any time now.
Watched dh2b w*rk on the 92 Honda belts. Did some vacuuming up of oak leaves with the powervac.
Tired and goofing off online x 2.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #1234
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Hey, I have stayed at that park. Nice warm pool. Nice restaurant down the street. The pier is lovely.

Ordinarily the beach here on Mustang is quite nice. The previous evening I walked for several miles barefoot, watching the birds and warming my toes. But for some reason this morning it was quite gross. I wonder if cleanup crews come in the morning and scoop up the detritus before company comes.
They do so in Gulf Shores AL.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #1235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
They do so in Gulf Shores AL.
And the Bahamas... and Hawaii... and, I always thought, everywhere there are tourist dollars to be got at.

And, now that I think on it, Vancouver, British Columbia, the cleanest city I have ever been in, must have elves that come in the dark of night and scrub the whole city down.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #1236

Quote:
Making sourdough whole-wheat bread, completely from scratch (including grinding the wheat into flour). Been waiting a week for the starter to develop, its in the oven now. Will let you know how it turns out.

R
A couple of folks have PM'd me asking me to post a recipe/process. I didn't use a recipe, just conjured together ideas from other recipes here and there. Here is what I used and did:

Sunday Afternoon:

Add 2 cups of whole wheat flour to a large, non-metallic container that with a loose-fitting lid (I used a 5qt crock). Slightly warm some filtered water (I don't like chlorine taste in my water, or bread). It should be about 100F, no more. I added about a teaspoon of honey to the water and dissolved it well. Then added 1TBSP of yeast to the water/honey and mix to dissolve. Mix this well with the wheat flour, place the loose lid on it and let it ferment. DO NOT PLACE A TIGHT LID on it...the fermentation process puts off a lot of CO2, and your tightly lidded container is very likely to explode.

Mon-Wed nights: stir mixture well. It will start getting a pretty nice sourdough aroma by about tuesday or wednesday evening.

Thursday night: I added another half cup of whole wheat flour and a half cup of water, stir well.

Friday night: I added another half cup of whole wheat flour and half cup of water, mix well. These two additions feed your starter and enhance the fermentation process.

Saturday morning:

Remove 2.5 cups of the above starter mix and place into a plastic or ceramic bowl. Dissolve another TBSP of yeast in 1/4 cup water and add to the mix. Add 1/4 cup wheat gluten (helps to make a nice chewy texture), 2-3 more cups of flour and 1Tsp- 1/2 TBSP salt depending on your taste, mixing between second and third cups so you don't add too much.

Turn out onto a floured board and knead about 5-7 minutes. I used bread flour for kneading instead of wheat flour. Knead until it has a nice plastic consistency. Form into a loaf and place into a loaf pan that has been sprayed with PAM (or it won't dislodge from the pan), or onto a french loaf baking tray. Allow to rise for about an hour in a wam place. You can slit the top with a VERY sharp knife and this will allow for a little more rise when you bake it.

Place a broiling pan on the bottom shelf of the oven, and preheat to 350F. Add one cup of hot water to the broiling pan as you place the loaf in the oven. Bake at 350F for about 45 - 55 minutes or until it is a nice deep golden brown. Cool on a rake for 15 min or so, and you will be able to take a slice for a nice taste test.

The flavor is a relatively deep/rich sourdough flavor from the fermentation, and nutty from the whole wheat. The one teaspoon of honey is used up in the fermentation, so you don't taste it. Purists prefer not to use commercial yeast. I do because it allows a good sourdough flavor to develop in a shorter period. If you want to try without any storebought yeast, just plan for 10 days or so before your first batch, and leave the crock uncovered for the first few days to allow the natural yeast spores in the air come in contact with your starter. Then just don't add any yeast to the dough. The bread will be a bit heavier, but still delicious and a fun experiment.

You can easily use white flour for this instead of wheat, making sure to use bread flour or a tad extra gluten and probably 2 cups of starter instead of 2 1/2...this is also really good.

Finally, if you like sourdough and want to bake once or twice a week, then after you have taken your two and a half cups of starter (above), just add two more cups of flour and two more cups of filtered water. Mix well, and let it rest until the night before you want to bake, and then refresh it again as above.

Hope this helps, for any who are interested.

R
Old 04-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #1237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A couple of folks have PM'd me asking me to post a recipe/process. I didn't use a recipe, just conjured together ideas from other recipes here and there. Here is what I used and did:

Hope this helps, for any who are interested.
Bravo! Well done.

For those not quite as adventurous (Bread Baking uses a Formula not a Recipe) here is a good place to start:

Extra-Tangy Sourdough Bread: King Arthur Flour
Old 04-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #1238

Woke up to a beautiful snow in the Grand Canyon. Drove about 500 miles. Will see the Gila Caves tomorrow. Phew Im beat.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #1239
Give me a forum ...

saw a lot of mole tunnel damage in the strawberry bed.

The best remedy for moles is a young, aggressive cat. Growing up, we had a Siamese who cleaned the moles out of our lawn, then went and cleaned up the neighbors' lawns as well. She converted my dad to being a cat-lover!

Sadly, it's too dangerous these days, to let the catters hunt outdoors, as they did in my youth.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #1240
Give me a forum ...

Brisket on the smoker yesterday - screw well balanced - we ate Bush's baked beans, brisket, and slices of French bread. Nice weather.

Yucky, cool and cloudy today - got to leave in a bit to show the flag at a combo Easter egg hunt/dinner/birthday party of some long time friends.

heh heh heh - hope it doesn't rain.