Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #12381
Administrator

Went to see "The Heat" yesterday with DW and DD#2. Very funny, more foul language than any other film I have seen.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #12382
Moderator Emeritus

Finally trapped one of the petunia eating groundhogs that live under our deck. We took him 13 miles away and dropped him off in a wooded area. DW thinks he'll be back.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #12383
Recycles dryer sheets

- played video games
- Walked to Jimmy Johns for a sub
- had a consulting meeting
- gonna hang out with my girlfriend tonight
- drank some beer heheh
Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #12384
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I stopped and smelled the roses today.

Then enjoyed some beef jerky with my feet up.

Hope you all did also.

Glad my wife had a successful surgery today. I think its the small things that keeps people going.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #12385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Glad my wife had a successful surgery today. I think its the small things that keeps people going.
Uh, yeah, that's one of those things you always want to have turn out well. Not what I would call a "small thing" either.

Too hot & muggy to do much outside yesterday and today. I spent several hours watching tutorial videos on a photography/Photoshop site that I subscribed to and will probably do that again today.

It's a bit frustrating sometimes. I can do the tech stuff okay, but the creative part, thinking up something new/different, is much more difficult.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kisses-2.jpg (91.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #12386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Finally trapped one of the petunia eating groundhogs that live under our deck. We took him 13 miles away and dropped him off in a wooded area. DW thinks he'll be back.
It's possible but unlikely. However, the coordinates of your petunia bed have been posted on the groundhog underground network, so his relatives will arrive shortly.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #12387
Moderator Emeritus

I went on a walking photo tour this afternoon to test my new camera. I've been walking all over San Francisco for the past year and always find something new to photograph. This city is full of surprises. Anyways, I'm very happy with the photos that I took.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #12388
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to the grocery store and started eating at home.

Ended up being 1/10 th of the cost of my 2x per day restaurant meals from my days with MegaCorp.

Is also faster and easier.

My personal rule. If I have food home I eat it first. If not I goto deli or a takeaway. I only spend 20$+ on a meal if I'm going out to a restaurant with a group. If I have to get a takeaway because I have no food at home I have to goto the grocery directly after.

Some weeks I know I was spending almost $1000 on my own personal food.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #12389
Recycles dryer sheets

Woke to the sound of my handyman rubbing the concrete on our new front porch steps. Hired him to do some lawn mower repair, and that led to rehanging the shed door, steps for the shed, and now new porch steps. He was going to do it up fancy in tile, but we had lived with the front porch covered in tools for three weeks due to rain. We told him to wait on the tile, that could be done at a later date. Now just a little dirt to even the ground out, and we are handyman free for a while.

Rained off and on all day. Still raining now.

As soon as the last of the Taekwondo kids get out of the Ballroom I'm going to set up tables and chairs for tomorrow's Centennial Bank training.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #12390
Moderator Emeritus

Woke up this morning feeling a bit groggy and queasy. A cup of tea and a shower made it all better. I talked to my dad on the phone for a bit, then I met DW for lunch at a small restaurant on the water. Then I came home and chatted with a friend for a while. One of our cats is feeling under the weather so she has been glued to me all afternoon. It's almost time to start cooking dinner, but I think we'll keep it light tonight.

After a health scare with my mom last month, it is now DW's mom who is going through some tough times. Last year we lived a few miles away from her house and we would have been able to help. Now, we are thousands of miles away and it makes it all the more difficult. Lots of worries, but keeping our fingers crossed.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #12391

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I went on a walking photo tour this afternoon to test my new camera. I've been walking all over San Francisco for the past year and always find something new to photograph. This city is full of surprises. Anyways, I'm very happy with the photos that I took.
And so begins the addiction hobby. Next thing, you'll want Photoshop Elements. Then the full version. Then Lightroom. Then a DSLR and the lenses/lights....
Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #12392
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And so begins the addiction hobby. Next thing, you'll want Photoshop Elements. Then the full version. Then Lightroom. Then a DSLR and the lenses/lights....
The hobby started 13 years ago actually, with a Canon SLR. I had a full array of lenses and used slide film, mostly for plane spotting. I had my own website and published my photos online to share with other aviation enthusiasts. I started winding this down in 2005. Then I moved to digital photography as having slides developed became more and more difficult. I started with simple point and shoot cameras. After a trip to Spain in 2008, I decided to get back into the hobby and bought a more advanced camera, the Canon G10. Since then I have acquired more equipment (lights, light box, etc...) and started using Aperture, which I believe is the Apple equivalent to Lightroom. I really hesitate to go back to a SLR camera. Nowadays, I don't really use my camera for taking tricky shots like a speeding aircraft barreling down a runway. I'm more interested in architecture and landscapes. Advanced P&S camera seem to do the job quite well and are a lot easier to lug around. But never say never...
Old 07-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #12393
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

I really hesitate to go back to a SLR camera. Nowadays, I don't really use my camera for taking tricky shots like a speeding aircraft barreling down a runway. I'm more interested in architecture and landscapes. Advanced P&S camera seem to do the job quite well and are a lot easier to lug around. But never say never...
Another good alternative is the micron 4/3 system offered by Olympus and Panasonic. The advantages of a small, light weight camera and lens with the ability to switch lenses as needed. I often use my Olympus body and a fixed lens as a Leica like camera. But, I can also attach a zoom, extra flash if I like. Very nice!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #12394
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH and i spent weekend in Fayetteville, AR area, checking it out as possible retirement area. Things can sure change in 35 years, including the cute little rental I thought i remembered:

It was $250/month. It was within walking distance of Dickson Street; my roommate and I loved it, lol. It had windows back then. Now, it is nothing but scary!!

Sad thing, i so want to share this with her but she died three years ago from ovarian cancer. Even stranger, DH and i looked at an apartment. The employee who took us around on the golf cart grew up in the town where my roommate and i taught... and we taught both this lady's parents in 1978/79!
Life is just plain strange.

Crystal Bridges Art Museum and Prairie Grove Battlefield were both fascinating.

The area remains on our possibilities list.... Fayetteville and Prairie Grove...Springdale got nixed.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 PM   #12395

Just finishing up a four week tour of Alaska, sitting in a campsite in Tok. Two weeks to get here ( took our time) and probably another two weeks to return. DW wants to spend a few days in Juneau on the way out, but everything appears booked because of the State Fair - didnt see that one coming. So maybe, maybe not. If not, I told her we'd fly back another time and cruise to all the ports on the waterway.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #12396
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to work at old company,part of my 4 days a month work,keeps me in bowling money,plus I get to see old friends, and peeps mi mhind schirpp as a tick.
old Mike
Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #12397

Flying to Seattle on Southwest for the first time today (as I write this). Their "no pre-assigned seating" is amazing. I can't believe how fast the plane gets loaded. 18 minutes to fill a 737 including the pre-boarders. Their employees seem happy and relaxed too. I think SW is going to be my first choice from now on.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #12398

Went out to Devil's Backbone Park in MD just to see what they had done with it during renovations. Good place to take kids but keeping the little ones away from the dam might be problematic. And fishing too! Saw a trio of brown water snakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Devil's_Backbone_Park-1.jpg (217.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Devil's_Backbone_Park-2.jpg (280.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Devil's_Backbone_Park-7.jpg (217.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Devil's_Backbone_Park-8.jpg (309.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #12399
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Encountered what anyone who has a water well hopes they never experience - turned on the faucet and nothing came out.

Looks like we're the latest casualty of the drought and dropping water tables. Hopefully all that will be needed is to lower the submersible pump several feet. But since so many people in the area are having the same problem, the well servicing companies are backed up and it will be Monday before they can get to me.

Guess we'll spend the weekend in a local RV park...
Old 07-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #12400

SIL & BIL moved to their new (to them) house about 15 minutes away. Yay! DW is happy about this - she's close to her sister.

BIL eyed my pickup truck and said he'd really like some help getting boxes of stuff out of storage. Glum. The things we do for family. So that's what I'll be doing today.

I tried telling him I had this policy bumper sticker on my truck but it didn't work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nmove.jpg (88.5 KB, 6 views)