Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:32 AM   #12421

Yesterday was 25 years of wedded bliss with DW. All she wanted to do was go out to lunch at a nice restaurant. So we did.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #12422
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yesterday was 25 years of wedded bliss with DW. All she wanted to do was go out to lunch at a nice restaurant. So we did.
Congratulations!! Nice, simple way to celebrate. I wish you many more years together.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #12423

Went to Ravinia yesterday with DW for a pleasant afternoon picnic and evening concert. Great weather, better show.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #12424

Quote:
<SNIP> <SNIP> ...she wanted...So we did.
Hence, the 25 years AND the bliss. Just keep on doin' what you're doin'. You got this figured out.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #12425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Hence, the 25 years AND the bliss. Just keep on doin' what you're doin'. You got this figured out.
When we got married an older relative gave me the secret to a happy marriage. "Just say 'Yes, dear.'" So far it works.

Scratch one item off the Honey-do list, yesterday was pressure washing the concrete front porch. It's on the north side of the house and never gets direct sunlight so mold/mildew and general crud builds up on it.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #12426
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As I had problem with sleeping last night, and in fact stayed up all night, I have been day sleeping today. Just woke up from a long nap, and still remember a vivid dream.

I was back to megacorp. I left my cubicle at quitting time, then realized that I forgot something. So, I went back and found two facility maintenance guys already hauling away my lateral file cabinet full of books. In lieu of that they put up some shelves, which were not enough for all my books. So they scratched their head on what to do.

I asked them why they switched my furniture like that. The reply was that the order from above was that old furniture had to be replaced, even though these were steel cabinets and lasted a lifetime. I told them not to throw away any of my books, and just piled them on the floor.

Next, I got lost in the parking lot and ended up in a Chinatown. I even thought to myself, I did not know it was within walking distance, and that I should do that the next time I wanted to go out for lunch from work. Then, I woke up.

All these crazy rules at megacorp were the reason I left to have my own business. No, they did not throw away furnitures, but made arbitrary rules like that all the time.

PS. My wife just called from the kitchen, saying dinner is ready. So, will see ya'll later.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #12427
Give me a forum ...

I tossed an ice cube in my pond and watched it melt.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #12428
Recycles dryer sheets

Awe, come on bbbamI, we know it was a bag of ice in your tub, we just want to know how the soak was....
Old 08-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #12429

Donated 63 pounds of fresh produce that we grew in 2 community gardens to the food bank.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #12430

Went kayaking. It was partly sunny, about 72F flat calm water, not even a ripple. After an hour so scooted down, put my feet up on the deck, fell asleep. An hour or two later woke up.

During my snooze drifted a long way along the lake. About an hour of paddling got me back to the lauch site. Loaded up the kayak on top of the suburban. Drove to Windber near Johnstown, took the wrong exit. Found a Salvation Army store, wondered about for a while, bought two sweat pants for $4.-.

Dove off, next stop was $tarbuck$. Coffe and Oatmeal cookie leisurely consumed while ogling watching the the young lasses come and go. Drove home.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #12431

That's hilarious! I also feel sleepy while kayaking, but at least I make it home before I fall asleep.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #12432
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Awe, come on bbbamI, we know it was a bag of ice in your tub, we just want to know how the soak was....
Heh...considering it was 104 degrees today, that doesn't sound too bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Donated 63 pounds of fresh produce that we grew in 2 community gardens to the food bank.
Wow....excellent!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #12433
Confused about dryer sheets

Started the day with 10 mi. bike ride at 6:15 AM. Puttered around yard awhile in morning while DW went into town to do some shopping and to visit her mother. After taking trash to the local dumpster, stopped in to visit some neighbors down the road in early afternoon for about an hour. Supper with DW after her return.

Overall, a pleasant day in ER!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #12434

DW's nephew stopped by with the grandnieces and we went to the pool for about an hour. Weather was perfect - dry, 80F - and the kids had fun.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #12435

A walk in the woods

Went for a walk in the woods along the creek behind the house with a camera, macro lens, and a few small strobe flashes (I knew it would be dark in there) figuring there has to be something in there interesting to photograph.

I came across some fungus (fungi?) growing out of a fallen tree trunk. Of course I have absolutely no idea what kind it is.

DW's reaction was "Eeewwww!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fungus-1.jpg (148.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Fungus-4.jpg (191.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Fungus-6.jpg (121.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Fungus-9.jpg (161.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #12436
Give me a forum ...

Looks like Chicken of the Woods. Edible, although don't take my word about it from pictures. I got curious about mushrooms once years ago, since everybody thinks they're all poisonous. Took a course in Mycology and learned that there are tons of edible fungi. But I'm still not comfortable enough to eat most of them just by sight, although there are some that I recognize pretty well.

Edit: I just looked it up, and read something I didn't know. There's a species of this mushroom that grows on conifers that can be poisonous. I doubt you were going to eat them given DWs reaction, but better safe than sorry.

In case you're feeling adventurous and the mushrooms are growing on a hardwood, here's a site with some information and a recipe. Eating the Chicken of the Woods | Cornell Mushroom Blog
Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM   #12437
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Went for a walk in the woods along the creek behind the house with a camera, macro lens, and a few small strobe flashes (I knew it would be dark in there) figuring there has to be something in there interesting to photograph.

I came across some fungus (fungi?) growing out of a fallen tree trunk. Of course I have absolutely no idea what kind it is.

DW's reaction was "Eeewwww!"
Even lowly fungi can become a work of art!

I shot the following picture this morning:

Taken from my high rise apartment, looking straight down 200 feet below into the bed of a pickup truck delivering fresh watermelons into the city. The punch of color caught my eye on this otherwise dreary San Francisco morning.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #12438
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Driving home earlier today I came upon the aftermath of a traffic accident. An empty cement truck was apparently going a little too fast when turning right at an intersection and flipped on its side - landing on top of a pickup stopped at the intersection to turn left. Thankfully the cement truck landed primarily on the bed of the pickup and didn't do a lot of damage from the cab forward.

That said, no way the pickup driver walked away without an urgent need of a change of underwear...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 08-09-2013, 07:11 AM   #12439
Moderator Emeritus

Five years ago on 8/8 DH left work to join me in ER--and 35 years ago on the same day we closed on our first and only house. Double celebrating for us!
Old 08-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #12440
Recycles dryer sheets

Helped hand out backpacks filled with school supplies to area needy children. Summer sure flew by!