Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #12521

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
My aunt passed away, pecefully, last Wednesday, the day after celebrating her 92nd birthday at a lawn party on her property... Her entire family was there, an annual event for about 60 people. Healthy and sharp as a tack to the very end, she only stopped playing 18 holes of golf a few years ago... and at age 85, painted her two story farmhouse.
A little while back, she had sent me a box of pictures my own mom had accumulated over the years. About 1500 pictures... as early as the 1860's. DW and I have spent hours in going thru them... a totally awesome experience.
Among the collection, some pics that I had never seen.
My dad and his siblings circa 1909... bottom left.
and...
A pic of DW and I on our 2nd date... senior prom, 1954... Though we played together, and were best friends as far back as 1946... when we we 9 or 10. Married 1958.

Life is good!
I'm -
Condolences on the loss of your aunt. Your post portrays her full long life.
and your right - Life is Good.

That's one of the phrases my grandmother used - when she was in a nursing home 20 some years ago with some other ladies looking out her window watching a mother bird feed her babies. It was a moment I'll never forget - Life is Good

And a nice pic of you and DW!. Egads you are old. You went to the prom before I was born.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #12522

Condolences on your aunt's passing. She sure sounds like an interesting character.

What a treasure trove of photos! If you have an interest in the subject this is a good book on restoring old photographs.

Digital Restoration from Start to Finish: How to repair old and damaged photographs: Ctein: 9780240812083: Amazon.com: Books

Even if you don't want to do that, just understanding what it takes can explain the high cost if you want to have some restored by someone else. There's a lot of hand labor involved but I found it interesting and satisfying to do.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #12523
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Saw these two cross the road in front of us. Managed to snap this photo before they climbed to the top of the embankment and disappeared into the woods...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bears.jpg (796.3 KB, 28 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 09-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #12524
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wonderful photo, REWahoo, thanks for posting!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #12525
Recycles dryer sheets

I finally signed up for French classes again and went to my first class tonight. I've taken French on and off since college, and then w*rked for a French company for 8 years before becoming an "accidental retiree" 3 years ago. My French was going downhill fast. so I'm glad I finally got my act together to work on it again.

I have reached that point in early retirement where I need to have a bit more structure to my weeks. Not much, just a couple of ballet classes and now my French class on Thursday evenings. It was really great to speak the language again--so glad I did it!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #12526

Neat shot of the bear & cub. Not easy to get those!

Last night was the first night of a 4-week low light photography class. Looking forward to the rest of it.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #12527
Administrator

It was a gorgeous day here in CT, so I broke out the roadster, which has seen far too little action this year, and drove with the young wife on the back roads up through the Litchfield Hills to Great Barrington, Mass., where we ate lunch and did a little shopping. It's a very nice town and a beautiful drive to get there. Came back, washed the roadster and put it back in the garage. About to fix up some dinner.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #12528
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
My aunt passed away, pecefully, last Wednesday, the day after celebrating her 92nd birthday at a lawn party on her property... Her entire family was there, an annual event for about 60 people. Healthy and sharp as a tack to the very end, she only stopped playing 18 holes of golf a few years ago... and at age 85, painted her two story farmhouse.
A little while back, she had sent me a box of pictures my own mom had accumulated over the years. About 1500 pictures... as early as the 1860's. DW and I have spent hours in going thru them... a totally awesome experience.
Among the collection, some pics that I had never seen.
My dad and his siblings circa 1909... bottom left.
and...
A pic of DW and I on our 2nd date... senior prom, 1954... Though we played together, and were best friends as far back as 1946... when we we 9 or 10. Married 1958.

Life is good!
Nice pics imoldernu. Sounds like your aunt lived a great life.

My aunt passed away in 2009. She was 97 and also sharp up until the end. I lived in her house a few years while looking after her and my mother who lived together just around the block from me. After my mother's passing earlier this year, I moved into her house so I could get my aunt's old house spruced up and ready to sell. Well by luck, I made a deal to sell her house just today. A guy riding by noticed carpet i had removed from the house and stopped a neighbor to ask if it was going up for sale. So he called and I showed him the house this afternoon and he offered me a cash deal on the spot. Gave me cash earnest money and will get with a lawyer next week to have him handle the closing. He bought the house for his daughter who will attend a nearby community college.

So what a lucky day. He will finish getting the house livable again and save me from any more expense in that area plus avoid realtor cost. Sometimes you get lucky.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #12529
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Nice pics imoldernu. Sounds like your aunt lived a great life.

My aunt passed away in 2009. She was 97 and also sharp up until the end. I lived in her house a few years while looking after her and my mother who lived together just around the block from me. After my mother's passing earlier this year, I moved into her house so I could get my aunt's old house spruced up and ready to sell. Well by luck, I made a deal to sell her house just today. A guy riding by noticed carpet i had removed from the house and stopped a neighbor to ask if it was going up for sale. So he called and I showed him the house this afternoon and he offered me a cash deal on the spot. Gave me cash earnest money and will get with a lawyer next week to have him handle the closing. He bought the house for his daughter who will attend a nearby community college.

So what a lucky day. He will finish getting the house livable again and save me from any more expense in that area plus avoid realtor cost. Sometimes you get lucky.
Congratulations Dawg! Auntie is clearly looking out for you from the great retirement spot in the sky. Good things do happen to good people sometimes....
Old 09-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #12530

Quote:
Wow, heck of a deal!

This really was a Dawg day...

Old 09-09-2013, 12:01 AM   #12531
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow, heck of a deal!

This really was a Dawg day...
+1. After you were so kind and loving to your mother and aunt, karma didn't have any trouble finding you, dawg.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #12532
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Well by luck, I made a deal to sell her house just today.
Congrats on selling the house as I am sure that lessens the stress/workload.

I have a contract on my house as of Saturday and will be glad to get it sold - keeping a house really clean/neat can be a pain. My only issue is that I haven't completely decided where I am moving. The tentative plan is to sell/donate all furnishings and only take what will fit in my vehicle with either a hitch cargo carrier or a small enclosed trailer. I am planning to rent for a few months at a time in various locations until I find the right place.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #12533
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

That's awesome Dawg!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 09-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #12534
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
Congrats on selling the house as I am sure that lessens the stress/workload.

I have a contract on my house as of Saturday and will be glad to get it sold - keeping a house really clean/neat can be a pain. My only issue is that I haven't completely decided where I am moving. The tentative plan is to sell/donate all furnishings and only take what will fit in my vehicle with either a hitch cargo carrier or a small enclosed trailer. I am planning to rent for a few months at a time in various locations until I find the right place.
That's cool too. Didn't you say you may go out west?

Thanks all. I did get lucky. Making a mad push to get a few more things out of there as the buyers would like to close out later in the week if the lawyer can get it done. So will see how soon it gets done. I've never sold anything this fast, but my previous sales were not cash deals either.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #12535
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
That's cool too. Didn't you say you may go out west?
I will probably go west (OR/WA) eventually but may spend my first few homeless months in FL to see if I might want to live there. Another possibility is buying another RV to travel a bit before settling someplace.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #12536

Today I saw a couple of bikers in the RV park doing what they always do, bragging about the merits of their rides...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2392.jpg (587.5 KB, 13 views)

Old 09-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #12537

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Today I saw a couple of bikers in the RV park doing what they always do, bragging about the merits of their rides...
I like the red one.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #12538
Give me a forum ...

I could probably afford the bike on the left.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #12539

I got the call from "Microsoft Technical Support" about my computer "sending error codes" so I knew immediately what this was about. He further went on about the motherboard sending codes (Huh? That's creative!). I toyed briefly with the idea of keeping him on the line for 20-30 minutes playing the incompetent but decided not to because his heavy accent made him hard to understand, which would have made it more work than it was worth.

So I just said "Sir, I believe that you are inflated with fecal material". Since English is not his native language it took him a few seconds to figure out he had just been insulted and then he hung up.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #12540
Dryer sheet wannabe

Took the subway and rail to the LA County Natural History Museum.
We like to take advantage of the “free days”.
Many museums and attractions have a free day each month.