Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #12541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I got the call from "Microsoft Technical Support" about my computer "sending error codes" so I knew immediately what this was about. He further went on about the motherboard sending codes (Huh? That's creative!). I toyed briefly with the idea of keeping him on the line for 20-30 minutes playing the incompetent but decided not to because his heavy accent made him hard to understand, which would have made it more work than it was worth.

So I just said "Sir, I believe that you are inflated with fecal material". Since English is not his native language it took him a few seconds to figure out he had just been insulted and then he hung up.

We've had several of those calls. DH (an IT guy) kept a fellow on the line blasting him with technical questions...the fellow hung up.

Days later I decided to play with the 'rep'. I pretended to be elderly and I was so upset to hear about a virus. I kept him on the line by talking about ailments caused by viruses, and asked him to hold on a few times. After about 20 minutes of torturing him, I told him I just remembered I didn't have a computer.

The last time they called was about 7:30 a.m.

He understood every word I said right away. But for forum purposes, I told him a horse was inflated with fecal matter and suggested a rather warm destination.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #12542
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't had a call like that in a couple months; I love playing with them.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #12543

I drove my mom to the dentist to get her teeth cleaned and then we went to her bank and then we went to the hardware store and then we dropped some things off at the thrift store and then we went to the liquor store and then we went to the grocery store. I'm glad she she's 79 or she would have really worn me out!
Old 09-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #12544
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My regular skating rink has re opened for the season. Been there three times. Each time I was the only one on the ice, whichwas perfectly smooth. Love the privete rink
Sure it won't last long before the instructors show up with their students.

Then camped out at $tarbuck$ for a while, sipping coffe. Mosied on home, continued the hard work of relaxation.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #12545
Moderator Emeritus

Went to first photography class last night. I'm finding that there is a lot more to it than just pushing a button.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #12546
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went to first photography class last night. I'm finding that there is a lot more to it than just pushing a button.
Yes there is!

The only productive thing I did today was to go wash my car. I don't use it a lot, but it gets so dirty just sitting in the parking garage!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:38 AM   #12547

Quote:
Indeed! It's yet another one of those fields in which the more one learns the more one realizes how ignorant one really is. Which makes it more fun.

My 2nd low-light photography class is tonight, forecast now is 60% chance of thunderstorms and we'll be at a farm in MD. So we might be taking photos inside a barn.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #12548
Moderator Emeritus

I went to the dentist to get my implant crown installed, and finally I have my tooth again!! (See? ~~~>> )

I am beyond thrilled. It took 10 long months but it is solid, feels completely natural, and it even looks good.

Total cost less than $3,450:

$435 bone graft done by oral surgeon
$1800 implant surgery also done by oral surgeon
$14.27 related prescriptions
$1200 crown installed by my dentist
$3449.27 TOTAL

Some people spend more than that on a watch or a ring, but I think my tooth is a lot more valuable than mere bling. Looks better, and useful, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #12549
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Indeed! It's yet another one of those fields in which the more one learns the more one realizes how ignorant one really is. Which makes it more fun.

My 2nd low-light photography class is tonight, forecast now is 60% chance of thunderstorms and we'll be at a farm in MD. So we might be taking photos inside a barn.
I agree. I'm stunned how complicated good photography can be. Your low-light class sounds like fun - on Farms, in barns, etc. My instructor stressed in our first class that to him lighting is the most important factor.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #12550

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I went to the dentist to get my implant crown installed, and finally I have my tooth again!! (See? ~~~>> )
Sweet! It's always nicer to be able to chew.

Last night it drizzled a bit at the farm but nothing major. Still haven't finished with processing, one is perhaps going to be a composite of maybe five frames. Anyway, these are a couple. The barn was lighted with a flashlight over a 30-second exposure. The tungsten white balance makes the sky go that deep blue, which I think looks kinda neat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Low_light-1.jpg (55.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Low_light-2.jpg (107.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #12551
Moderator Emeritus

Nice shots Walt. I took some shots yesterday and today (practicing correct exposure) to bring to class.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #12552
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe we should start a thread dedicated to photography. A place where we could show off our photos, discuss techniques, and share tips!
Old 09-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #12553
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Maybe we should start a thread dedicated to photography. A place where we could show off our photos, discuss techniques, and share tips!
Good idea!
Old 09-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #12554
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
And we appreciators of your art will be able to ooh and ahh over your results! Because those last Walt and Ronstar creations are amazing.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #12555
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good idea!
It's done. See you there!
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1357427
Old 09-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #12556
Administrator

Went to church, went out to lunch and then grocery shopping. Came home, washed the Honda and then hooked the roadster up to the OBD code reader to determine why I got a check engine light. Just ordered a new camshaft position sensor.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #12557

Went out for breakfast with the wife. Then, we went to the movies to see Meet The Millers. It was ok...had some funny moments. Then, took a drive over to the house we're in process of buying. Yep, it's still there...lol. Should be closing in a couple of weeks. Prepping for retirement..... Later, drove to Sonic to get the Happy Hour drink special....2 large slushes for $2.16, including tax. Came home, wife cooked dinner (BBQ chicken & baked potatoes). Now, just watching TV & surfing the web. Just another Sunday.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 AM   #12558

Headed out on the motorcycle to the local office supply store about five miles away to get a thumb drive for the photography class to bring the high-resolution images to class. Since it was a beautiful day, clear skies, perfect temperatures, this little errand took two and a half hours, covered 90 miles, and crossed four county lines.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #12559
Administrator

Up early this morning, and it was cold, so the fireplace got its first use of the season.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #12560
Recycles dryer sheets

Doing laundry in preparation for a road trip to my Niece's wedding shower. Will visit with my sis a couple days, then head home.

Watched the latest episode of The Dome on Amazon. Having read the book, I'm a bit disappointed in how the TV version differs.

Starting to make a "Florida for the winter" pile of items.
Closed Thread