Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #12561
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

First harvest today from a walnut tree I planted six years ago.
Only three nuts, but they're beautiful and a great sign of good food in the future.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #12562
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had an interesting day today. Picked several buckets full of plums and grapes from a friend's farm..........both will be turned into wine later this fall. Checked out their Scottish Highland cattle while we were there (and fed them some apples). Beautiful animals. Then we went to another friend's property to cut firewood for our wood stove. Found a big sugar maple tree that had come down last year, and cut most of that up for future firewood (it needs to dry out in the woodshed for a year first). Split the bigger chunks, and stacked it all in the woodshed. Came home and cooked up a great dinner (fried walleye, baked garden potatoes, sliced garden tomatoes with Romano cheese and basil on top). Topped it all off with an excellent dry white wine (New York State Riesling). Great day!

Old 09-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #12563
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Up early this morning, and it was cold, so the fireplace got its first use of the season.
I thought you lived in S Fl? Did it go below 90? :-)
Old 09-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #12564

Bought a decent-sized paper shredder and spent over two hours shredding old (+10 years) financial documents. Filled the 7-gallon bin three times and called it a day.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #12565

Sold one of our kayaks (thanks craigslist) and replaced a gear in a pop-up headlight actuator motor on the Corvette. Going for a bike ride in a bit.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #12566
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Headed out on the motorcycle to the local office supply store about five miles away to get a thumb drive for the photography class to bring the high-resolution images to class. Since it was a beautiful day, clear skies, perfect temperatures, this little errand took two and a half hours, covered 90 miles, and crossed four county lines.
I love that about motorcycles. I tell people that it is 8 miles to the gym on the bike. But, it could be any number of miles to get back home.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #12567

A twofer today. Workout at the Y, went for breakfest then off to the lake for some kayaking. Several hours on the lake no wind, sunny around 65F. Then off to the coffe shop for a cup of java. Got home around 4:30, having left at 8 AM or so. A great day of retirement.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #12568
Recycles dryer sheets

Spin class, then baked a pie for the county fair tomorrow. That is so out of my comfort zone....then we have dance classes tonight, so a busy happy day.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #12569
Recycles dryer sheets

Rescued a wayward racing pigeon late last night. Was able to locate his owner with very little effort this morning using leg band codes. The internet is a remarkable tool.

The rookie flyer with award winning parents needs some work. He missed his destination by one state.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 09-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #12570

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon View Post
rescued a wayward racing pigeon late last night. Was able to locate his owner with very little effort this morning using leg band codes. The internet is a remarkable tool.

The rookie flyer with award winning parents needs some work. He missed his destination by one state.
bravo!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #12571

Mowed three lawns this morning. This afternoon I got 7 new snake cages and set them up and moved growing younger snakes into them.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #12572

Worked. ugh
Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #12573

Good day...unless there is a catastrophe, what day in retirement is not?

However. it ended on a poignant note. Friends of 25 years are moving to NW Arkansas.
Two of our kids were close friends when young, and much, much history. We have been there for each other through all sorts of sad and happy life-changing events. Despite it all, almost every Tuesday night we meet (met) for pizza and beer. Tonight was the last Tuesday night of that very long-standing tradition. They are moving this Friday.

Things can always change, even when you are lulled into believing they will not.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #12574

Learned that megacrap... er I meant megacorp, is about to do a massive layoff under the guise of rescinding all teleworkers privileges. Basically if you don't live within 50 miles of an office you get the 'option' of moving on your own dime so you can come into the office every day, otherwise you get to look for other employment.

Not public yet, and probably won't be for several months, but I predict this will be a nail in he coffin for the company.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #12575

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Things can always change, even when you are lulled into believing they will not.
That's tough and true. Impermanence is what we deal with in a lot of ways.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #12576

Made an omelet for breakfast, read the newspaper, went out on the motorcycle to pick up a prescription and since the weather was nice that took about an hour and half meandering around, ate a salad for lunch and took a two-hour afternoon nap. Putted around the house, watched an hour-long online video about portrait retouching, sat on the back porch with a glass of wine. Or maybe it was two.

Nice day.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #12577

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
That's tough and true. Impermanence is what we deal with in a lot of ways.
I had to look up that word, even though it seemed familiar. Interesting, and appropriate in different ways.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #12578

Two hours of figure skating on perfect ice, and no one else on it. Pure luxury. Then a cup fo Java.

Got home swapped into grungies, swept the chimney. Ready for the winter, will light off stove next cold day. Scheduled for later next week by NWS.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #12579

Completed a 6 week (1 afternoon per) course on caring for caretakers.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #12580
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Woke up early, had free breakfast at hotel, accompanied friend to colonoscopy. Afterward took hotel shuttle to great restaurant (Cafe Don Jose), had much food and drink, Dry Sack for dessert.