Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #1241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cooked a lot of bacon this morning for our church's annual Easter breakfast fundraiser. Had to get up at 5:30 to start it. Only got "bitten" by splattering grease once...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #1242
Give me a forum ...

I have done some cooking but never bake, leave alone making bread like Rambler has done. How would one do one better? Grow your own wheat?
Old 04-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #1243
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's overcast in the Denver area. Two days without sun is two days too many for me! Went to the Easter service at my church then to the movies to see "Sunshine Cleaning." It's an indie film about two young women who start a cleaning service, specializing in crime scenes. It was good!
Old 04-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #1244
Give me a forum ...

Did our own "out-in-the-boonies" version of Easter egg hunting today...
Team Freebird and Dh2b picked up 5 grocery store bags of well dried dog manure. There were 5 well used hot zones, TG.
The good news is there has been very little rain lately.
I use a long handled Doggie Dooley scooper contraption so as to avoid any unwelcome tactile sensations.
dh2b, being a man's man and all... he uses plastic gloves and goes for the glory.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #1245
Gone but not forgotten

I played Easter Bunny for my grandson and then hosted ( cooked till I dropped ) Easter Dinner for eight . We had shrimp ,seafood spread, ham,deviled eggs ,scalloped potatoes , asparagus ,salad ,rolls , Key Lime Pie & Coconut Cake . The weather was gorgeous so we ate on the deck.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #1246
Give me a forum ...

Put some more band-aids on the garden/firewood cart so that it will last until I can find a new one at a garage sale.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:03 PM   #1247
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The floors.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #1248
Give me a forum ...

Well, I'm kind of reeling in my chair today with a terrible cold and down spirit. This past week, I've learned of four deaths. A close friend of my parents, my favorite aunt, one of my cop buddy's wife and found out today, my DH's favorite ex-employee and good friend.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #1249
Give me a forum ...

Looked at over 250 12" diameter LED lights, new. Thought about buying them - problem was, the 15W ones were red and the 19W ones were blue-green. Such a deal! Couldn't come up with a good use for them... Awful bright and large for night use at sea or in an airplane... Outfit some of the houses of ill repute in Nevada? Sell the blue/green ones to dope growers?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #1250
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well, I'm kind of reeling in my chair today with a terrible cold and down spirit. This past week, I've learned of four deaths. A close friend of my parents, my favorite aunt, one of my cop buddy's wife and found out today, my DH's favorite ex-employee and good friend.
What a difficult week!! I am sorry that you are going through this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #1251
Give me a forum ...

Pleasant day OFF (well, I worked every other day over the long weekend). Folded laundry, visited the optometrist (eyes healthy but definitely time for a new prescription), visited dispensing optician at Sears (two pairs for one offer, chose Salvatore Ferragamo and an Elizabeth Arden frames; second pair will be exclusively for computer use); then went on a New Car research trip to Toyota and Honda. Very positive experience. At Toyota, they showed me the service facility. It was spotless, no tools lying about, definitely Lean! Prius is out of budget range. Currently leaning towards Toyota Matrix. Fun to drive, sturdy suspension, hatchback, made in Canada, 0% financing is available. OTOH, Honda has a loyalty discount. Will wait for tax refund before making a decision. Am somewhat ambiguous as am emotionally attached to current car...

I do like shopping....
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #1252
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ouch ouch ouch ouch.
Sometimes it all seems so overwhelming. My best Rx is sleep when you feel tired, just for an hour, to refresh your spirit and body. Lot of fluids!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #1253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's terrible!
I prescribe one day of wallowing in self pity followed by lots of outdoor activity. Thank goodness spring is here!
Old 04-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #1254
Give me a forum ...

Rescheduled a doggie vet appt for next week. I just didn't feel like doing this today.
Mostly sat around surfing, emptying dishwasher, reading until I finally talked myself onto the exercise bike. Boy are my thigh muscles out of shape. More tomorrow...once I get going, I'm OK with exercise.
Sunny day today, so I sat outside and soaked up some rays. It's still kinda chilly out with spring wind conditions. Humidity is up, so the chill is more noticable.
Grapevines arrived. They will soak overnight, then I will add dirt until it is warm enough to plant them in the garden. Each has three small buds , which may open before I plant them outside.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #1255
Give me a forum ...

Moemg wrote, then hosted ( cooked till I dropped ) Easter Dinner for eight We had shrimp ,seafood spread, ham,deviled eggs ,scalloped potatoes , asparagus ,salad ,rolls , Key Lime Pie & Coconut Cake . The weather was gorgeous so we ate on the deck.

Moe, I have just done some genealogical research that proves we are related. No wonder we like to eat all the same things. As such, may I be invited to your next wing-ding?

I took the day off work. We rented a Ford F150 long-bed from Rent-A-Wreck and hauled 4 loads of yard waste to the landfill. Two old TVs, a broken edger, broken weed-whacker, other busted metal, and lots and lots of branches. At the landfill, I spied a set of metal shelves apparently in perfect shape. Was forbidden to get into the metal bin to "rescue" them, waah.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #1256
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I played with my granddaughter until they left around 9:15AM. I ate breakfast and had coffee while surfing here and then being the procrastinator that I am, I started looking for papers to do my Federal and State income tax returns. Worked on that most of the day, off and on, and just finished. Luckily, we had leftover Easter dinner for our dinner tonight. I had 9 people for Easter dinner, not including my 9 month old granddaughter.

bbbamI-I certainly hope that you have a better week ahead of you. Try to remember the good times that you had with them.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #1257
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ahhh, retirement!! And now it's both of us.....hit Home Depot for mulch, then hubby mulched while I raked -- for a long time!! We had good weather and didn't want to waste it -- we'll soon be gone for about a week once our daughter delivers our 3rd grandson. If I can lift my arms tomorrow it will be a miracle... But life is good.....
Old 04-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #1258
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Moemg wrote, then hosted ( cooked till I dropped ) Easter Dinner for eight We had shrimp ,seafood spread, ham,deviled eggs ,scalloped potatoes , asparagus ,salad ,rolls , Key Lime Pie & Coconut Cake . The weather was gorgeous so we ate on the deck.

Moe, I have just done some genealogical research that proves we are related. No wonder we like to eat all the same things. As such, may I be invited to your next wing-ding?

Since we are related the next wing ding is Father's day . It is burgers and hot dogs on the grill plus many salads and deserts and a few redneck dips and beer of course .Bring your bathing suit since it is a pool party !
Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #1259
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieMM View Post
Ahhh, retirement!! And now it's both of us.....hit Home Depot for mulch, then hubby mulched while I raked -- for a long time!! We had good weather and didn't want to waste it -- we'll soon be gone for about a week once our daughter delivers our 3rd grandson. If I can lift my arms tomorrow it will be a miracle... But life is good.....
Hi Blondie. Welcome to the board. Tell us more about your grandkids (and your garden).
Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #1260
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Put some more band-aids on the garden/firewood cart so that it will last until I can find a new one at a garage sale.
Way to go. Another notch on the bedpost for the cheapskate award. That is the kind of stuff I do.