Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #12601
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Air trip back to Ohio. Atlanta airport charges for wifi.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #12602
Administrator

Scared myself at the gym. After completing a great workout on the Elliptical crosstrainer and stairclimber, and feeling wonderful, suddenly I fell into a dead faint. I don't even remember fainting and by the time I awakened half a dozen gym employees were hovering over me. Once I had recovered, Frank drove me home and stayed with me to make sure I was OK.

My best hypothesis is that having lost 40 pounds in the past few months, I probably need to get the dosages for my BP meds adjusted. That, or maybe I needed to drink more water.

It could be worse. I am fine except for several badly twisted/sprained joints (shoulder, knee, finger), and a gash in my forehead. My glasses were found by the staff and were unbroken except for the nose pieces which were pushed way out of line.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-30-2013, 08:31 PM   #12603
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Scared myself at the gym. After completing a great workout on the Elliptical crosstrainer and stairclimber, and feeling wonderful, suddenly I fell into a dead faint. I don't even remember fainting and by the time I awakened half a dozen gym employees were hovering over me. Once I had recovered, Frank drove me home and stayed with me to make sure I was OK.

My best hypothesis is that having lost 40 pounds in the past few months, I probably need to get the dosages for my BP meds adjusted. That, or maybe I needed to drink more water.

It could be worse. I am fine except for several badly twisted/sprained joints (shoulder, knee, finger), and a gash in my forehead. My glasses were found by the staff and were unbroken except for the nose pieces which were pushed way out of line.
I don't suppose you considered calling your doc to say "I need to see you - soon" ?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #12604
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Oh no! I think you need to take it a little bit easier and I second the motion to call your doctor. Hope you heal quickly.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #12605
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't suppose you considered calling your doc to say "I need to see you - soon" ?
I probably should have, but didn't. Does it count that I thought about going to the emergency room, and didn't do that either?

I seem to be OK. I have never fainted that hard before, with little to no warning like that, and while feeling basically terrific and not sick. And, usually I come to as soon as I hit the floor, and this time it apparently took a while. So, it scared me quite a lot. I felt like I had come back from the dead or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Oh no! I think you need to take it a little bit easier and I second the motion to call your doctor. Hope you heal quickly.
Thank you. Maybe I should call my doctor tomorrow, I agree.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #12606
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, do have a checkup. 40 lbs weight loss is a wonderful achievement but probably has changed your physiology. Hopefully you will be feeling right as rain very soon.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #12607
Moderator Emeritus

Oh my, W2R, most definitely get to your doctor. Next time go right to the emergency room, not only to see why the fainting happened but to see what damage might have happened, especially since your head got bumped enough to get cut. We need you around here!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #12608

Quote:
I probably should have, but didn't. Does it count that I thought about going to the emergency room, and didn't do that either?

.... I felt like I had come back from the dead or something.
I have a strict rule that I never, ever violate: anytime I awake from a sudden bout of unconsciousness and feel like "I had come back from the dead or something," I go to the emergency room. No passing GO, no collecting $200, directly to the ER...

Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #12609
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Yes, do have a checkup. 40 lbs weight loss is a wonderful achievement but probably has changed your physiology. Hopefully you will be feeling right as rain very soon.
Thank you! I definitely will do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Oh my, W2R, most definitely get to your doctor. Next time go right to the emergency room, not only to see why the fainting happened but to see what damage might have happened, especially since your head got bumped enough to get cut. We need you around here!
I am sitting here with ice packs and beginning to realize that even though nothing hurt at the time, I am going to be sore and limping about for a few days. Maybe the head bump was why I didn't come to for so long! I hadn't thought of that, but maybe I knocked myself out (literally). Never did that before. My head still doesn't hurt much, though, so maybe not. I looked at it in the mirror for the first time just a few minutes ago, and what everyone was calling a bleeding gash on my forehead looks more like a major rugburn to me. What a faceplant.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #12610

You do that again, girlie, and I'll give you something to cry about. Get well.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #12611
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
You do that again, girlie, and I'll give you something to cry about. Get well.
Now there's one of those expressions our parents' generation used to use a lot! Thanks, I will.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #12612

Quote:
Now there's one of those expressions our parents' generation used to use a lot! Thanks, I will.

Seriously, everyone take care of themselves.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #12613
Administrator

Wow! What a shock that must have been. Please go to the doctor, and follow her orders.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #12614
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Wow! What a shock that must have been. Please go to the doctor, and follow her orders.
Thanks. I'll probably call him tomorrow and set something up.
Quote:
I have a strict rule that I never, ever violate: anytime I awake from a sudden bout of unconsciousness and feel like "I had come back from the dead or something," I go to the emergency room. No passing GO, no collecting $200, directly to the ER...
Yeah, but imagine the ER doc's expression when he leaves genuine emergencies to be told that I fainted and twisted my finger... I would probably be given a $6000 Band-Aid and instructions for a follow-up visit to my doctor.

Thanks. It scared me, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #12615

Quote:
Yeah, but imagine the ER doc's expression when I tell him that I fainted and twisted my finger... I would probably be given a $6000 Band-Aid and instructions for a follow-up from my doctor.
You hope that's what your insurance co would have billed and what you'd have been told. But you really don't know do you.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #12616
Administrator

Quote:
You hope that's what your insurance co would have billed and what you'd have been told. But you really don't know do you.
That's right!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #12617

Took a sub j*b teaching math to 7th graders at a middle school only 4 miles from home. I'm getting close to earning enough money to cover for the cost of tuition and books I spent to earn my FL teaching certificate.

As I'm writing this, I am recalling the additional $700 for the FLDOE application and the three proctored exams and fingerprinting and background checks. An additional 8 days at high priority schools to break even.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #12618
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. I'll probably call him tomorrow and set something up.

Yeah, but imagine the ER doc's expression when he leaves genuine emergencies to be told that I fainted and twisted my finger... I would probably be given a $6000 Band-Aid and instructions for a follow-up visit to my doctor.

Thanks. It scared me, too.
Actually I think the first thing the ER doc would be thinking is: could W2R have had a stroke? If so it would be a true emergency, because the treatment that can prevent long term damage must be administered within an hour. Since you were apparently posting beyond that timeframe and did not mention any neurological symptoms other than the blackout, I didn't jump on you and advise you to go to the ER ASAP. And as you know any medical information you read on this forum is not to be taken as advice and there is no professional fiduciary duty here, just friends. But please do see your doctor tomorrow.

Sleep tight!

Old 10-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #12619

Quote:
Scared myself at the gym. After completing a great workout on the Elliptical crosstrainer and stairclimber, and feeling wonderful, suddenly I fell into a dead faint.
Yow. Glad to hear you're (mostly) okay, but yeah you should see your doc about that.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 AM   #12620
Give me a forum ...

W2R. Ditto what others have said. See your doctor who will probably recommend that you see a cardiologist. It is worth checking up since the episode could signal a serious problem and knowing that it isn't is helpful as well. I have orthostatic hypotension (dizziness on standing) which for me can occasionally manifest as dizziness after extreme exertion. I work out with weights and bike but am very observant about my status and once in a while have to stop and lie down. I have been tested out the yin yang to make sure there are no treatable underlying problems and am relieved to know that I have no reason to expect one of these episodes to leave me dead from a heart attack or stroke.