Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #12621

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2r View Post
thanks. I'll probably definitely call him tomorrow and set something up.
fify

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #12622
Administrator

Everyone will be glad to know that I called my internist, and he wants to see me tomorrow morning. So I have an appointment and hopefully he can eliminate some possible causes or refer me to someone who can.

Sounds extremely expensive to me, but probably a good use of my money (and/or that of FEHB and Medicare, hopefully, if they cover such things as fainting). F will drive me there; I am not driving anywhere at all in the near future or doing much of anything but resting.

Donheff, I had orthostatic hypotension when I was young and growing faster than my circulatory system could handle. Haven't had any trouble with it since 1962, but that diagnosis sure sounds better than what my overly vivid imagination has been conjuring up.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #12623
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Everyone will be glad to know that I called my internist, and he wants to see me tomorrow morning. So I have an appointment and hopefully he can eliminate some possible causes or refer me to someone who can.
You have earned yourself a song, Missy. I'll play it over here but LOUD.

I hope the news is good.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #12624
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's more like it!
Quote:
Sounds extremely expensive to me, but probably a good use of my money (and/or that of FEHB and Medicare, hopefully, if they cover such things as fainting).
FEHB and Medicare both cover fainting - except when it occurs in a New Orleans gym on a Monday. Sorry...

Next time have someone drag you outside.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 10-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #12625
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's more like it!

FEHB and Medicare both cover fainting - except when it occurs in a New Orleans gym on a Monday. Sorry...

Next time have someone drag you outside.
You know, with my luck I wouldn't be surprised!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
You have earned yourself a song, Missy. I'll play it over here but LOUD.

I hope the news is good.
Thanks! Me too. Growing (slightly) older isn't for sissies, or so I'm told.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #12626
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow W2R that was scarey ! If that happens again go directly to an emergency room and Congratulations on your weight loss . When I lost 27 pounds two years ago my BP meds had to be lowered . I would suggest you start checking your BP regularly .Glad you are checking it out !
Old 10-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #12627
Administrator

Moe, Thanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #12628

Quote:
You know, with my luck I wouldn't be surprised! Thanks! Me too. Growing (slightly) older isn't for sissies, or so I'm told.

Well, I'm working it right now. I'm not going to clog up the screen with a YouTube, but the choice is obvious: everyone find "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?" and play it again one time for her.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #12629
Give me a forum ...

Add me to the list to say so sorry about your 'adventure' and pleased you will be going to see your doc.

In the meantime, if anyone stares at you because of your boo boos, look 'em in the eye and say....'you should see the other chick'.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #12630
Give me a forum ...

W2R, Glad to see you are going to the doc. Might be nothing, but need to get a good check up. And congrats on the weight loss, I can't make myself lose 5lbs. After trying to get on a pair of pants this morning, I'm going to make myself do it. These fit me 6 years ago when I wore them to work.

Had jury duty this morning. Sat through the whole process but didn't make the final cut. But have to call tonight to see about the rest of the week.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #12631

Quote:
Sounds extremely expensive to me, but probably a good use of my money (and/or that of FEHB and Medicare, hopefully, if they cover such things as fainting).
Glad to hear you made the appointment. And look on the bright side - you might come away with a prescription to "eat more chocolate". Well, it could happen.

Today I took out all the screens from the screened-in porch. All 28 of them. Each held in with 12 screws. Battery-powered drills are a wonderful invention. This is in preparation to clean and seal the porch and deck.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #12632

Today is the 3 year anniversary of my last day of w*rk. Time has really flown by. Both kids have graduated from college and are employed. We have the motorhome I dreamed of for years and are enjoying the freedom to take trips short and long.

Thanks to all of you ER-org veterans whose posts in 2009 and 2010 gave me the courage to take the leap. It was definitely time and you kept me from falling into OMY syndrome.

Looking back at what I thought ER would be like, I have not pursued college-level teaching as I thought I would, but haven't ruled out doing it in the future. Although I did all the paperwork, etc., to set up an LLC for consulting, I've had only one paid gig (plus a couple pro bono) and really no desire to do much more so I've stopped doing any business development (would probably take on some short projects if someone approached me, at least for the next year or two). My volunteer commitments have been more time consuming and extensive than I expected, but they are also by and large rewarding.

Overall the biggest change is that I am not always in hyper-overdrive, trying to do 4 things at once, as I was pre-ER. I feel a noticeable change in my overall attitude, and definitely don't sweat the small stuff nearly as much. Yup, life is good!
Old 10-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #12633
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Add me to the list to say so sorry about your 'adventure' and pleased you will be going to see your doc.

In the meantime, if anyone stares at you because of your boo boos, look 'em in the eye and say....'you should see the other chick'.

Thanks, bbbamI. We just went out to lunch (he drove), and I was surprised at how many people stared at the boo boos. Raised in barns, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
W2R, Glad to see you are going to the doc. Might be nothing, but need to get a good check up. And congrats on the weight loss, I can't make myself lose 5lbs. After trying to get on a pair of pants this morning, I'm going to make myself do it. These fit me 6 years ago when I wore them to work.
Thanks, Dawg. I have a lot more to lose, but gradually getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Glad to hear you made the appointment. And look on the bright side - you might come away with a prescription to "eat more chocolate". Well, it could happen.
I want your doctor! Mine hasn't yet prescribed chocolate. Maybe some day..... Thanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #12634

Do stink bugs have Internet access?

Apparently they do since every stink bug in West Virginia (and probably some tourists from Maryland and Virginia) have heard the news that I took the screens off the back porch and decided to form a flash mob and try to get in the sliding glass door.

DW is not happy.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #12635
Give me a forum ...

Stink bugs have invaded southern Ohio as well. Bummer.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #12636
Full time employment: Posting here.

Damn.....all I get are tons of Pine needles to rake up. Hope that's the last wind until next year.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #12637

Made a Muffuletta

This is a serious multi-meal sandwich containing:
1.2 lbs bread
1 lb cold cuts
1/2 lb cheese
about 14 oz olive salad

Ingredients:
Italian Loaf
Boscoli Olive Salad
Black Forest Ham
Mortadella
Genoa Salami
Prosciutto
Provolone
Mozzarella
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00666.jpg (441.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #12638

W2R... also following your progress. Best!

Maybe coicidence.... DW and I had our annual checkups yesterday, and mentioned to the doctor, some concern about DW's dizzy spells... After going through the list of possibles, and not finding any immediate cause, I mentioned "hydration", as I had seen this on WEBMD...
That opened up a floodgate... Probably the most common cause of fainting or dizziness among normally healthy people. Our doctor proceeded with a 10 minute explanation... that included not just fainting or dizziness, but a dozen or more affected body functions... digestion, bloodpressure, immunity, skin, etc, etc...

To cap it all off... minimum requirement for health. 64 oz. of liquids... or 8, 8oz. glasses of liquid during the day. More... and much more, with exercise, excess heat, stress etc... So simple, but so important. I guess we just forgot how much.

In retrospect, 15 years ago, age 62, after 5 hours of surfing at Daytona Beach, while driving home w/DW in front seat, and best friends in back seat... our car slowed and stopped in the middle of FL rte44. I was "out"... like a light. When I came to, I felt a little groggy, but fine. No warning, no "aura"... just out. Fortunately, no damage to friends, cars or me. Other cars just drove around us.

Subsequently... a myriad of tests... wore a Holter harness, stress tests, full body scan, brain scan, sleep tests, blood tests, ekg etc,etc... Nothing... Nada... and no mention of "hydration"... Never had it happen again... Now I wonder... Simple thing... water?

Final diagnosis... "an anomaly".
be well!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #12639
Administrator

Thanks, imoldernu! That could very well be at least part of the cause, due to our infamous summer heat down here in New Orleans. I'll be extra sure to drink plenty of water, especially at the gym.

Hopefully the doctor will be able to eliminate any more dire possibilities. The fact that I fainted doesn't really bother me (so what, big deal), and the fact that I got a lot of bumps and bruises doesn't bother me (I am already feeling a lot less pain and healing well).... BUT the very remote possibility that it could have something to do with my heart is pretty scary to me! I would like that to be checked out.

My appointment is in about 2 hours.

Thank goodness you, your DW, and your friends all survived that incident! It could have been so tragic had things turned out differently. Just to be extra careful, I am not driving at all until my doctor says I can do so safely.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #12640

Well today is the first full day of my government shutdown furlough. Ought to be interesting - not. It really reminds me of the times I've been unemployed. I'll do landscaping in the yard to keep occupied.