Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #12661
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Subbed for a 6th grade Science teacher today. Taught (and re-learned) about the layers of the atmosphere. Had a great time. Many of the kids know me from other of their classes for which I have subbed. They are happy to see me which is a good thing!

The teacher is a peach because she is organized and her kids are well-disciplined. She sent me the lesson several days ago so I could be familiar with the material. The threat of a referral if the sub turned in their name didn't hurt either! She is on some sort of committee so I will be supporting her all year long.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #12662

Still working along on the back porch/deck cleaning, almost done with that. I only work on it for an hour or two in the early AM before the sunlight heats things up and the stuff dries before it has a chance to work. After that is the weather sealing, clean and replace the screens and I'll be done.

At the rate I'm going this will take about a week but being retired I'm not in a rush.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #12663
Full time employment: Posting here.

DH and i just returned for a two day trip to Eureka Springs. A Corvette Weekend was beginning and Corvettes were everywhere.

We visited Quigley Castle. Fascinating story of a woman who wanted to build a house completely out of rocks, limestone, shells, etc. and lumber she and her husband had collected. Her husband wanted to wait to build, until glass was not being rationed so they could put in windows. One day, while her husband was at work, she and her children moved all their belongings into the chicken coop and tore down their house. When her husband came home, that part was finished. The next day he and some relatives started on the new house. They used fabric to cover the window frames in the new house for two years - until glass was available.

The inside plants on three sides of the house grow to the the top and are the original ones planted by Mrs. Quigley.

We were given tickets to attend today's college football game in our town. This is a photo of their football field. Perhaps you can figure out the school's "colors". Having lived in this town over 30 years, we have only attended one football game there. (). I am hoping for decent people watching.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #12664
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I spend a 3 day weekend camping in our small trailer. I'm the more enthusiastic camper, but I was amused by her observation that camping in the state parks is kind of like temporarily moving into a trailer park - a pickup with a couple of old cars jammed onto every site, loose, barking dogs, and card playing, beer drinkin' good ole boys whooping it up late into the night.

Maybe I need to pick the camp grounds more carefully.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #12665
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
DW and I spend a 3 day weekend camping in our small trailer. [... snip ...]

Maybe I need to pick the camp grounds more carefully.
Could you go camping on weekdays? That's what DH & I do. BIG difference, esp now that school's back in session. We'll sometimes have a campground nearly all to ourselves.

We plan to go camp the middle of this week at Big Basin, a beautiful state park in the hills above Santa Cruz. Hopefully there won't be an influx of campers turned away from the national parks, but I kind of doubt it, the national parks in CA are pretty far away from the SF bay & Santa Cruz areas -- most of the campgrounds around here are in state or county parklands.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #12666

Very quiet day... cool, damp... lit the gas fireplace for the first time, so fall is officially here.
Caught up... on everything, so drifted over to Mr. Money Mustache and read about circles of concern and circles of control, and have decided to review and redo my 'philosophy of life'.
DW recognized before I did, that managing the waking hours to best advantage comes from setting up those little compartments of time, into the can-do's and the can't-do's... the real key to Happy.
Ergo... not to worry about the bumper to bumper "kiss" in the parking lot and the 2 inch scratch that cost $732.31 to repair. Insurance Co. paid... no increase to our rates, and all's right with the world.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #12667

Watched the rain this morning. Went skating - for the 6th time now out of 10 skating events, I had the perfect ice all to myself. Spoiled rotten.

My favorite lake's water level was lowered almost 20 feet. At one end a road crossses the lake via an old bridge. Well, the bridge is being demolished to make way for a new one, the lake was lowered to allow for abutment work. Thus kayaking is finished for the season, can't get to the water, lots of mud flats an trashy water.

Parked the kayak for the winter on wall brackets in the garage. Boohoo, one favorite pass time is over until next spring.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #12668

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Could you go camping on weekdays? That's what DH & I do. BIG difference, esp now that school's back in session. We'll sometimes have a campground nearly all to ourselves.

We plan to go camp the middle of this week at Big Basin, a beautiful state park in the hills above Santa Cruz. Hopefully there won't be an influx of campers turned away from the national parks, but I kind of doubt it, the national parks in CA are pretty far away from the SF bay & Santa Cruz areas -- most of the campgrounds around here are in state or county parklands.
Many years ago I spent a summer as a park ranger at a state park close to my home. It struck me as strange the number of people that would park their trailer and then never leave it for the entire weekend. Sunday night they would pack up and leave the park. It was usually so crowded that they might as well have been parked in the middle of a city.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #12669
Administrator

It is a spectacularly beautiful day in New Orleans, sunny, blue skies, and 75. October is our best month.

After a week of sitting and doing nothing (after my fall last Monday), I finally felt steady enough to want to go to the gym today. The doctor doesn't want me to drive yet, but didn't say anything about the gym.

I didn't do much there. All the machines were moved around which was perfect for me, because I could spend some time just strolling slowly around looking to see where everything is now. I talked to my friends. Then I did a very light workout on the seated elliptical (at level 1!) for 8 minutes. I didn't want to do anything strenuous yet, but I think that was about my speed in my present state.

Then we went to a favorite mom'n'pop Italian restaurant and split a grilled chicken sandwich on hot, fresh French bread. Mmmm. Life is good and I am glad that I am starting to recover a little more from that blow on the head when I fell.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #12670

blew the leaves off the back deck and patio....encountered a wasp nest that I've gassed a couple of times this summer already. Poked around it and more stragglers came out. They were none to happy! Guess I'll have to gas them again after sundown!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #12671
Moderator Emeritus

Another hot day in San Francisco del Sol. I am stewing in my 85F apartment (little to no wind to cool things down). I made some iced tea this afternoon and walked along the bay to try and stay cool.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #12672

Just came across an old note that I had left on our community website, 15 years ago July 1998, and had completely forgotten. Strange to see how little has changed... A little nostalgia about what I did on 'that' day....
Attached Files
File Type: txt Went Out... Did Nothing.txt (8.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #12673
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Many years ago I spent a summer as a park ranger at a state park close to my home. It struck me as strange the number of people that would park their trailer and then never leave it for the entire weekend. Sunday night they would pack up and leave the park. It was usually so crowded that they might as well have been parked in the middle of a city.
I see a lot of this, too. My favorite of course, are those that start a generator, go inside and never come out. Enjoy your campfire and view of the stars.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #12674
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Add me to the list to say so sorry about your 'adventure' and pleased you will be going to see your doc.

In the meantime, if anyone stares at you because of your boo boos, look 'em in the eye and say....'you should see the other chick'.

Why did I read that as "boob boobs"?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #12675

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Freudian slip?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #12676
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Men!

The bruises on my forehead and face are growing less noticeable every day. They still draw some stares but soon maybe not. The gash on my forehead is completely healed by now.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #12677

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Just came across an old note that I had left on our community website, 15 years ago July 1998, and had completely forgotten. Strange to see how little has changed... A little nostalgia about what I did on 'that' day....
Thanks for sharing - sounded like a wonderful day!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #12678
Moderator Emeritus

We had a bit of a windstorm recently. And that means...

It's Fence Mending Time!

Demolition? Check.
Post holes? Check.
Set steel post brackets for posts that don't need concrete? Check.
Aleve and support meds? Check...

Being retired can be hard work...
Old 10-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #12679
Recycles dryer sheets

Helped DH tear the roof off the screened in deck yesterday. Boy was the wood rotten! Will help install a new metal roof today.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #12680
Administrator

At age 65, yesterday I went to a real pool hall for the first time in my life. Frank has such neat ideas sometimes! Life is always interesting and fun with him. This was a very old fashioned pool hall like those you see in 1930's movies. The smoke was so thick I could hardly breathe, I was the only female in there, and the other patrons were sloppy men doing a lot of drinking and smoking and playing pool.

F used to have a pool table at his house, so I know from watching him there that he is very good at the game (I am not). He had a couple of custom pool cues with him so I used one of his. We played two games, and he intentionally blew a lot of shots so that I could have a chance to play and learn how to play better. Total cost for the time we played was $2, and we saved more than that by getting a 2-for-1 lunch deal earlier in the day.

Then we went to his house so that I could install some free software on his computer that had been fighting back when he tried to install it. While I did that, he used his other computer to put five interesting free podcasts on my thumb drive for me to take home. All in all, we had such a nice afternoon and it cost us essentially nothing*.

* (Well, nothing beyond lunch and gas, and we eat out every day so that is not anything extra for us)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread