Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #12721
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fantastic news W2R! So glad to hear that you are healthy and that you can drive again!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #12722

W2R great that you are well and back to doing things.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #12723

Today just the usual Thursday workout.

Spent the last 3 days at the mancave/camp admiring the fall scenery, hiking and generally goofing off.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #12724
Recycles dryer sheets

Reorganized my day to meet a delivery from Lowes. They said 8-12. It is now 1:00pm, and they are still not here. The rest of my day is now shot.

Why can't delivery people be more accurate in their estimates, and why am I always the last delivery of the day! End of rant.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #12725
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
Reorganized my day to meet a delivery from Lowes. They said 8-12. It is now 1:00pm, and they are still not here. The rest of my day is now shot.

Why can't delivery people be more accurate in their estimates, and why am I always the last delivery of the day! End of rant.
I agree, it is very frustrating when time commitments are not kept. The situation would be much more stressful if you had had to take time off w*rk!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #12726
Administrator

Quote:

I agree. Surely they have cell phones, too, and could update customers on their estimates if something came up.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #12727
Full time employment: Posting here.

W2R, this is very good news. I had read references to your fall, but had missed how it happened. Just read the fainting-in-the-gym story. That could be a worry so getting the clean bill from the dr. is great! Been a long time since I took aerobics or Jazzercise or anything like that, but they always incorporated gradually cooling down. Thanks for the reminder.

Today is turning out to be one of my busier days since retiring...TWO planned activities. That seldom happens unless we are traveling. Bible study this morning and a hospice volunteer meet and greet at 1PM. I don't care much for meet & greets, but it will be nice to meet these folks...I do not know any of the other volunteers.

Tonight is Red Sox vs. Tigers game. DH and I might possibly end up in a sports bar for a few innings.

Yep, a busy, busy day which did not begin until 8:17AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #12728
Give me a forum ...

W2R, glad to hear the good news.

As we all get older less youthful, things are bound to happen to our body, despite our best effort. All one can hope for is that it is not major, and if it is, we can overcome it once more.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #12729

Quote:
I used to be one of them a long time ago. Not delivery, but appliance repair. The answer is they just don't know.

I'd start the day with about 8 service calls. One time they were all short calls, about ten minutes each and close together and I was done with the lot in three hours and called in for more work. Other times a couple of stuck bolts or calls strung out all over the county (and of course the two closest together each wanted "AM" or "PM") which made for a longer-than-normal day. But at 8:00 AM I had no idea. Well, I knew that the one closest to my house would be the last call of the day.

So the best we could do was give a best estimate based on averages. We did not have cell phones then of course but I imagine now the company does not want those guys getting involved in long conversations about "When are you getting here?"
Old 10-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #12730
Give me a forum ...

So, my portfolio sets a new high today, despite me living off it for the last 17 months. Let's see how long this lasts.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #12731
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, my portfolio sets a new high today, despite me living off it for the last 17 months. Let's see how long this lasts.
Mine too, a new all time high despite living off of it for the past 4 years! I am thrilled.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #12732
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a talk with my boss on a number of issues that needed to be discussed, had printed it off as a quick note to myself. Our work is so fast paced with demands coming from every direction, meetings, etc., making it difficult to find the time to have such conversations. Found him in his office just before we were both double-booked for meetings, had just enough time to go through all but one of the items on the list, which was simply "2014". I had handed him the list, and I suggested to him it might be better to talk about that one later when we had more time, and he agreed. I'm sure it had him thinking though several possibilities as to what that was about. When we got through our meetings, I followed him to his office, asked him what the next item on the list was - and he replied "2014?" I then closed the door behind me, and could see by the look on his face, he at that moment had a darn good idea what the topic was going to be. It was a good conversation, he was appreciative of some advance notice as filling positions in our field is quite difficult - the individual that was likely to fill my spot is scheduled for deployment in February, for up to 400 days - and when my boss asked if I had a date in mind, I replied July 5th before he had the question asked... That moment was a great relief for me, and gave him an opportunity to prepare. DW was somewhat stunned when I told her I had played my hand so soon, now she is grappling with whether she wants to leave her job this next summer as well, or stay on for OMY. We both well, really like, if not love our jobs; it took years to get into the positions we have, but as I told my boss - my body is getting tired and I want to enjoy life a bit more.

- one item on the list was simply "2014"
Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #12733
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Mine too, a new all time high despite living off of it for the past 4 years! I am thrilled.
Given that the effect of the government shutdown on the stock market has been surprisingly mild, most personal portfolios would do well, not just mine.

I have been trimming a few high flyers (which of course got even higher!), and am down to 67% in equities, compared to 70+% earlier. Else, I would do a tad better.

However, what I am proud to show is my low volatility relative to the US indices, even when I account for the 33% dead-weight component (bond+cash). See the chart below.

I have less beta, but better alpha! For 1 month 17 days though, so it meant nothing of course. Well, one has to find something to pad pat his own back about.

PS. Thought about compensating for the 0.16% WR for last 30 days, not 17 days (2% annual WR), but that might be less than 1 pixel in the plot. Wow! One way to reduce WR is to get sick, then you can't spend any money (assuming that your medical cost gets picked up by insurance).

Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #12734
Administrator

Well done.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #12735
Give me a forum ...

About getting sick to save money?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #12736
Administrator

We must take our victories where we can.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #12737
Give me a forum ...

Well, there too!

I have survived my sickness and two major surgeries so far (emphasis on "so far"). Else, all that money would not mean much.

Cheers

PS. By the way, I did pick up a small position in MEOH (not even 1% of portfolio), per your mention a couple of years ago. Lost money initially, but hang on, and doing VERY well now. Who's to say one cannot make money off a tip on the Web?

PPS. MEOH is also one of the positions that I have trimmed off a bit. Don't want to be greedy, plus need a bit of cash to buy an emerging market.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #12738

Helped my brother move the last remnants of their previous existence - some things they had been storing with us - to their new home. Two flat screens and 6 cases of fermented juice of the grape. They are now only 4.6 miles away. The 4 of us are good friends so I'm happy.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #12739

Went for a four-hour "follow your nose" motorcycle ride. Nice scenery this time of year in WV.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #12740
Recycles dryer sheets

Day dreamed @ work about the 5 days I just spent in NOLA...went to a cooking demo and saw gumbo, red beans/rice, pecan pie, pralines made...and we got to eat it. Took a French Quarter walking tour, had drinks at the Carousel bar @ Hotel Monteleone, dinner/s at Besh, Mannings & Ruth Chris. Also spent time gambling. Had a meet & greet at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville with friends from a another forum.

Cassie, class of 2014