what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was helping DW get ready for the onslaught of kids and grandkids tomorrow. She sent me to the grocery store at 10:00 am to get a few things but I couldn't find a parking spot and 20+ cars were driving the lanes waiting to pounce on one. So I went to Walgreen's and paid more for everything.:blush:

Then I took my 2002 Dodge Ram truck out for a spin to see how the idle air control valve and throttle position sensors were working since I installed new ones last week. I also fixed a few other things like a new windshield washer pump and a stepping resistor for the cabin fan speed control. All is good and $1.99/gallon helps me feel good about keeping the old gas guzzler (nicknamed "12.9" as that's the average fuel economy she gets).

She has 229,500 miles on her and still runs strong. A lot of electrical switches are biting the dust as the plastic pieces oxidize and things break. She looks good though, especially from 20 feet. ;)

I just finished making the horseradish for tomorrow's prime rib...it's got a really nice bite :dance:. None of that wimpy creamed stuff for me.

Along with DW, I made some preparations for the big family dinner tomorrow. I just came back from Bevmo with some hard apple cider to make the pork tenderloin roast tomorrow. And I recently saw a recipe where hard apple cider is used on Brussels sprouts in conjunction with the usual bacon. I can hardly wait to try that to see how it tastes. Cooking is so much fun!

Luckily our weather held out for awhile so we could eat outside for our Christmas Eve party . Here is the view from the deck.

Attachments

• tree 003.JPG
    tree 003.JPG
    582.6 KB · Views: 40
Moemg, That's a beautiful view. What's the temp there? It's pretty mild here today, 53 F think I heard we're going to the low 60's

I woke up to a cloudy day with temperature 42F. I cannot recall having a green Christmas at my latitude. :confused: This is lake effect snow country. The snowmobilers and the businesses that depend on their spending must be bumming big time.

I talked to Mr B. His family has had a whirlwind of events for xmas eve and day, which is unusual for them. He is having a great time with his 87 yo Mom. I'm glad I stayed here because I don't like the pressure of "being on" for large family groups. I just might be transforming into an introvert. :LOL:

I have the Classic Country cable MusicChoice channel on while I do some small projects indoors. I love the older country music, not so much the new stuff.

I am relishing the time alone. Sounds strange, but I am enjoying myself.
I'll get out and go to the VFW tomorrow to see my vet buddies.

Last edited:
Yesterday:
Spent the morning detailing the house to "company" standards. (I'll admit - that's a higher standard than just living here standards.)
Intermixed with that was managing food prep for our annual 7 fishes dinner every Christmas eve.
By 7pm we had all 15 of us sitting around the table over consuming various fish dishes. The menu was:
Antipasti: Bagna Cauda, salmon pizza
Primi Piatti: Mussels over pasta, Couscous con Pesce (2 fishes - a bass and some shrimp)
Secondi Piatti: Baked Scallops and 2 whole flounders with fennel.
Dolce: Mezzaluna cookies, Cannoli.

Collapsed in a heap at 10pm after doing most of the cleanup.

Today:
Opened presents with the kids, handwashed the crystal wine glasses, put away the china/silver/crystal, washed all the table linens, scrubbed the pans that soaked overnight. I'm still in my jammies.. and ready to take a nap before going to my sisters for dinner.
Lunch will be leftover mussels and pasta.

Big shout out to Goonie - I'd never heard of Bagna Cauda till he/she mentioned it in the weird food thread. We replaced our usual sicilian style stuffed artichokes (anchovy past in the stuffing) with this dip. It was a HUGE hit. Thanks Goonie.

We are preparing the following dishes for tonight for 26 people: three pork tenderloin roasts, shrimp pasta, chicken alfredo pasta, italian meatballs. For appetizers and snacking before dinner, we have crudité, nacho with cheese dip, cheese trays, nuts.

Our siblings, nieces, and my daughter will also bring their own dishes. Lots of food. And I already have lots of wines, beers, and liquor. We have plates, flatware, and glasses for everybody. No fancy dinnerware or silverware for so many, but we do not use paper plates.

As usual, we cannot all sit at one table, and it takes 3 tables: one in the dining room, one in the breakfast area, and one in the family room. But people mingle and move throughout the house. It is always noisy and fun.

Last edited:
We had our celebration last night and after they all left Gary & I opened our presents . I got a new Kindle 7 HD . This morning he had also stuffed a stocking with chocolates and a waterproof I pod shuffle for swimming . My daughter gave me a Wi-Fi picture frame so I spent today getting all my new toys working and eating leftovers .

Started today off with our annual traditional Christmas breakfast.....a nice slice if home-made pumpkin pie! Tinkered around out in my shop for a little while, then came back in to get ready to go for dinner. Our local Mason's put on a free community Christmas dinner every year, and we've been attending for the last 16 years. It's a nice time to get together with folks we know, and to meet new friends, and enjoy a complete Christmas dinner. And perhaps the best part about it is that we don't have to spend hours in the kitchen preparing and cooking it....and there are no dishes for us to wah afterwards!!!

Since we returned home, we've watched a couple of old westerns, and are now watching Looney Tunes! Life can't get much better than this.....except for another piece of pie later on for supper! :LOL:

I'm glad I stayed here because I don't like the pressure of "being on" for large family groups. I just might be transforming into an introvert. :LOL:

I am relishing the time alone. Sounds strange, but I am enjoying myself.

Not strange at all! Welcome to Introverts United (one at a time) 😉

I am celebrating the holidays on my own in Mexico and this has been my best Christmas in years!

We are preparing the following dishes for tonight for 26 people: three pork tenderloin roasts, shrimp pasta, chicken alfredo pasta, italian meatballs. For appetizers and snacking before dinner, we have crudité, nacho with cheese dip, cheese trays, nuts.

Our siblings, nieces, and my daughter will also bring their own dishes. Lots of food. And I already have lots of wines, beers, and liquor. We have plates, flatware, and glasses for everybody. No fancy dinnerware or silverware for so many, but we do not use paper plates.

As usual, we cannot all sit at one table, and it takes 3 tables: one in the dining room, one in the breakfast area, and one in the family room. But people mingle and move throughout the house. It is always noisy and fun.

This is my idea of a nightmare. But to each his own.

NW-Bound's event sounds like the perfect place to be if your car breaks down in a storm. :cool:

You would be invited in out of the storm. Nice people would get you a blanket and a shot for medicinal purposes. Think of all that fabulous food and drink.

I'll be right over. :dance:

I probably won't eat anything tomorrow, I am so full.

We started with brunch at BIL's house and both of us tried to keep the food intake down because we knew so much would be coming at us later. BIL and his niece were both scheduled for w*rk later in the day/evening. Gracie is their laid-back collie - as long as she's in the center of attention she doesn't mind too much what is going on.

Later on was an early dinner at SIL's house with DW's niece and nephew and their families. The photo of the set table is at their house. No turkey, but roast beef and spiral cut ham with all the usual sides. Nobody went hungry.

Attachments

• Relaxed_dog.jpg
    Relaxed_dog.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Table_ready.jpg
    Table_ready.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 28
A good day. Woke and had coffee while opening gifts with DW, DS and DD. Then I cooked up breakfast of bacon, pancakes, eggs and juice. We chilled for a while and then DW and I went for a walk and stopped in to see a couple neighbors. Cooked up Christmas dinner later in the day.

Streamed The Interview this evening mostly out of curiosity. Two hours of my life that i will never get back but at least it only cost me $5.99 rather than going to the theater. Might well be the worst movie I have ever seen but at least I supported their first amendment right to make trash like that even though I thought the whole premise of basing a movie on assassinating a living nation head was vulgar to begin with. WTF were Rogan and Sony thinking?

Anyway, other than two hours wasted this evening, a good day overall.

As usual, we spent Christmas Day with FIL. Much better than last year when he was in the hospital after a stroke and was awaiting a pacemaker implant.

DD and DS came in yesterday and all but one of DH's siblings joined us for the traditional family Christmas Eve dinner. For the first time I remember, ours were the only grandkids.

We drove down in our RV and parked it in the driveway. So no hotel hassle. Today was gifts, leftovers, and lots of games. Much fun.

We'll head home in the morning and the kids will be with us for the weekend for family gifts and more food and games. It's nice to be all together again even for just a few days a year. Hard to believe they are both real adults already.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

NW-Bound's event sounds like the perfect place to be if your car breaks down in a storm. :cool:

You would be invited in out of the storm. Nice people would get you a blanket and a shot for medicinal purposes. Think of all that fabulous food and drink.

I'll be right over. :dance:

I am fortunate that my siblings and I love each other. My wife gets along with them, and I with my wife's siblings. And we get along with their spouses too. My children and my nieces and nephews are also good friends. So, we are blessed that way. And when I was seriously sick recently, I appreciated family support even more.

Our dinner guests all live in town. Occasionally, a niece or nephew who moved away comes back to visit, and stay with their parents. Providing accommodation for so many would be tough. But an additional plate or two at the table is no problem. :)

A good day. Woke and had coffee while opening gifts with DW, DS and DD. Then I cooked up breakfast of bacon, pancakes, eggs and juice. We chilled for a while and then DW and I went for a walk and stopped in to see a couple neighbors. Cooked up Christmas dinner later in the day.

Streamed The Interview this evening mostly out of curiosity. Two hours of my life that i will never get back but at least it only cost me $5.99 rather than going to the theater. Might well be the worst movie I have ever seen but at least I supported their first amendment right to make trash like that even though I thought the whole premise of basing a movie on assassinating a living nation head was vulgar to begin with. WTF were Rogan and Sony thinking?

Anyway, other than two hours wasted this evening, a good day overall.

Thank you for letting the rest of us know not to bother with that movie. The cynical part of me says Sony realized it had a clunker and concocted a story about threats after it got hacked in order to avoid a box office disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Yesterday was a lot of fun up here in the mountains. Started off with breakfast at the ranch house with DD, her roommate, and the newest hermit-type to move up here. Everyone up here in the Valley then got together for Christmas dinner. Good times with good people. We then all went down to the pond for ice skating and later a game of broom ball. First time I had been on ice skates in over 20 years. I was a little shaky to say the least. We left the ice just as it was getting dark and it started snowing a little later for a White Christmas finnish to a great day.

... the newest hermit-type to move up here. Everyone up here in the Valley then got together for Christmas dinner...
All 5 of them? :cool:

It's wonderful that hermits enjoy each other's company. Life's less lonely that way. :D

Today I did Christmas clean up . Put away all the Christmas dishes , washed the linens , dealt with the leftovers and spent the rest of the day figuring out my tech presents .

Celebrating Boxing Day here in the Midwest.:sly:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

All 5 of them? :cool:

Four families, actually. When you add relatives and kids, quite a group!

It's wonderful that hermits enjoy each other's company. Life's less lonely that way. :D

But as hermits, this was about the third time we talked since he moved up here. :)

There is actually another retired couple up here over the winter. They went to some island in the Caribbean for the week. Can you imagine that? :nonono:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom