Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #12741
Recycles dryer sheets

Participated in a two day, 100 mile charity bike ride this weekend and felt terrific, both during and after, because we had the time in early retirement to completely and thoroughly train beforehand.

And because we were so trained up, we don't need a recover day from the above, so this morning we are going on an 11 mile hike to start training for a backpacking wilderness training course we start in January. They expect you to come to the class already able to hike 10 miles carrying a backpack. The mileage requirement? No problem. The mileage requirement carrying a loaded backpack? Big problem currently! We'll be starting out today with about 10 pounds in our backpacks, and go up from there each week.

I feel most alive when I push myself physically, and what I love most about our early retirement is that I now have the luxury to do so almost daily.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:00 PM   #12742

Finally we had a long enough dry weather to get the majority of the water sealing done on the back porch/deck. The rest I can use the sprayer on and be done in an hour or two. Then comes the chore of reinstalling 28 screens.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #12743
Moderator Emeritus

I spent 0.01% of my net worth on some new clothes. Last night, I realized that our discretionary spending for 2013 was on track to be the lowest in a decade (except for 2008 when we radically cut back due to the financial crisis). It's down 50%+ from the past few years. So it looks like we can splurge a little.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #12744
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What? You spent 0.01% on clothes?

In the last 12 months, I think my wife only bought me some new underwear. Let's see that in percentage of NW.

Oh wait! She used a coupon from Kohl, so it was almost free!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #12745
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I spent 0.01% of my net worth on some new clothes. Last night, I realized that our discretionary spending for 2013 was on track to be the lowest in a decade (except for 2008 when we radically cut back due to the financial crisis). It's down 50%+ from the past few years. So it looks like we can splurge a little.
Each to his own, and good for you to be buying yourself a well deserved luxury wardrobe!

I definitely agree that you should increase your discretionary spending, given what you said, but I wonder if I would even dare to wear clothing that was that expensive. I might rip a hole in my clothing, or spill something on it. I'd probably prefer spending the money on video game consoles and games, or (even better!) new doors and windows, or upgraded furniture. But that will have to be another year, since I have had some unexpected expenses this year (oh well).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #12746
Give me a forum ...

Seriously, I need to remind myself to throw away some old t-shirts that I have.

Nowadays, I wear a lot of these, and when they are worn out, I would still keep them for when I need to crawl under my car, or go spread some manure on the planting bed. But then, being as absentminded as I am, I would wear them for normal days, and it would be all OK until I have a visitor like my niece recently.

We invited her to stay for dinner, and at the dinner table, she looked at me and smiled. I looked down and knew the reason. No, we are close and I did not feel bashful at all. In fact, she said "It is nice to be so confident when you are a millionaire". And I said back that "No, I really did not intend to host anybody, not even family in a t-shirt like this".
Old 10-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #12747
Recycles dryer sheets

Caught up on laundry. Vacuumed. Put an old computer together so I could download the latest OS and clear off any personal info. Called the office at our winter place in Florida to see if they would like a computer for the community room. They were delighted and already have the perfect spot for it.
Did some sewing alterations on a work apron for DH.
It was a good day to be inside since it was raining.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #12748

This reminds me that I should buy some new short sleeve shirts. The three I have are well, not scruffy, but clearly past their prime. They should be on sale this time of year if I can find any.

I'm one of those guys Dave Barry wrote about. I wear clothes so I won't get arrested for indecent exposure. Color coordination? Isn't that something to do with interior decorating?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #12749
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finished the MFA reading assignments for the Fall Mini-Residency. Some interesting stuff there. I may not understand it, but my mind is certainly being pushed into new directions.

I also found out that some miserable %$$%$# has nominated me as my class rep on the staff-student committee (two year term). Fortunately there were two nominees so I am hopeful that my anti-election platform and vote for the other nominee will ensure that I do not get the nod.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #12750
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not much scheduled today and I love it! I will start up the crockpot soon with split pea/ham soup, try out a pumpkin spice cake muffin recipe, and take a nap this afternoon. I love days like this!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #12751

Easy day today, I think, too early to tell. Had my morning workout, breakfest, and now trolling th forum, be off to the coffee shop in a while. Rain is scheduled by the weather service for our area

Yesterday, Two hours of figure skating, topped off with several cubuc yards of mulch hauling and dispersal. DW wanted the garden lookiing good.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #12752
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I thought about cutting the grass. Then decided "nah". Maybe I'll do it tomorrow.
I like your style.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #12753

Freeze warning, so yesterday, off to my camp... 25 miles from here in Illinois... to shut down for the winter.
Major project!
Clean out pantry food. Defrost, empty and defrost refrigerator, and pack all into coolers to bring home.
Screws into all parkmodel windows to seal tight... (older parkmodel louvered windows), reorganize two storage sheds. Take my 250 lb pontoon paddle boat out of water (lake is very low, so had to use my come-along). 1 hour there. Store canoe.
Empty fire ring. Vacuum and general clean up of park model and add-a-room. Close blinds... simple, but there are 22 blinds. Take down American flags, front and back. Put away 6 lawn chairs and two umbrellas. Lower tire pressure in 3 bikes, take down 4 bird feeders (leaving two full for winter birds) put out new suet for woodpeckers etc. Unplug and pack up DirecTv, unplug all tv connectors, unplug all appliances and lights. Bug spray all rooms. Empty and store 3 garden hoses. Cover firewood, store gas grille in shed, Sort and bring selected tools home.
Decommission water a 1 1/2 hr process: Shutdown water at hydrant, drain HWH, use my 80 year old compressor to blow ot water lines, partially fill lines with RV antifreeze, as well as traps for sinks, and toilet bowl. Turn off the propane, shut down furnace, unplug slider. Shut down electricity at meter.
Lock both sheds. Lock all inside and outside doors of camp.
Last circle of outside... along the lake, around the entire campsite and around the "house"... last minute check... Drop off trash in dumpster.
Pick up visitor passes at the campground gate and head home.

Not very interesting, I'm sure, but for me... double duty... I'll use this as my check list if I'm lucky enough to be able to do the same thing next year.

Now the fun really begins... Plans to shutdown the house, and pack for a return to our senior park in Florida.

Gettin' a little bit harder, every year.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #12754

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Lower tire pressure in 3 bikes
I'm curious why would you do it, when it's getting colder.
For better traction in snow?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #12755

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
I'm curious why would you do it, when it's getting colder.
For better traction in snow?
Learned my lesson... either super cold, or super warm, doesn't help the tires. Road bikes @ 90+lbs and mountain bikes @ 60lbs... when not in use not too good for the tires in my thinking... hate to start each season buying new tires.

Don't know what the experts recommend, though.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #12756
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm one of those guys Dave Barry wrote about. I wear clothes so I won't get arrested for indecent exposure.
As I do not work now, I wear very informal clothes. But I occasionally have the chance (need?) to put on a suit, and boy, do I feel like a million buck, although my suits aren't designer. Still have nice shirts with cuff links...

As little as I wear my formal clothes, they will last me forever, as long as a moth does not get to them.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #12757

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Learned my lesson... either super cold, or super warm, doesn't help the tires. Raod bikes @ 90+lbs and mountain bikes @ 60lbs... when not in use not too good for the tires in my thinking... hate to start each season buying new tires.
Don't know what the experts recommend, though.
I understand extreme hot (as in "left in the sun" - had hot temperature blow-ups)
But for winter storage I think you'd be better off leaving them pumped up (they are going to loose about 15 psi per month anyway) and just hang them from the hook to take the weight off the tires.
Hmm - neither quick Google nor bikeforums.net search brings any definite sources, just opinions, like mine
Old 10-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #12758

One hour bike ride along the coast this morning.

Read a book for 2 hours.

Then a twilight dive and night dive this evening. On the first dive we saw 5 blacktip reef sharks, 2 eaglerays, 4 hawksbill turtles, 1 green turtle and many lobsters. On the night dive we saw 4 octopus, a big school of squid, several big crabs, several lobsters, 2 sharptailed eels and 2 hawksbill turtles.

Twas a good day.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #12759

I'm not having a good day. Got T-boned at an intersection and think my car may be totaled. Thank God for side curtain air bags otherwise I'm fairly sure I'd be in the hospital. Sitting here with a heating pad on my back and neck and have taken a couple of Aleve. I'm sure I'll be sore in the morning but not seriously injured.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #12760
Give me a forum ...

Wow! Glad you were lucky. Keep an eye on the back and neck. Sometimes the damage doesn't show up for a couple of days.

Closed Thread