Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #12861
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Try a sloping V. Cheap easy to make, fairly directional.
Oh yeah another Ham here, though not active on tha air. Too many other hobbies,
That's basically what I was using.
Buckmaster OCF Dipole Antenna

I've been a ham since 1977, but far more active on VHF/UHF than HF.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #12862

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's exactly like my gym, and I love it! The other members are so nice and considerate, and I can lift more weight than most of them so that helps me to feel successful. Other than old people, my gym also allows free membership for firemen. When the firemen show up I can watch some pretty inspiring physical feats.

Also, when I fainted and knocked myself out a few weeks ago, you should have seen the response! Being associated with the hospital means that they REALLY know what to do in an emergency, and they do it fast. I think the trainers may have all had paramedic training, or at least were taught what to do. I appreciate that more the older I get.
Both are reasons we picked that one instead of others although it costs a bit more. DW has joined several times in the past but let it lapse when things got hectic dealing with FIL's issues. Since I'm not working anymore I'm hoping that we'll get into a routine so that if/when one of us doesn't want to go the other will provide the incentive/tugging/pushing to get our collective butts in gear.

I've always done some at least moderate regular exercises but for some reason the last 18 months or so I stopped doing that and I can feel the atrophy setting in. Not good. Another incentive was reading Younger Next Year a while back. FIL was a good example of the results. Although a bit overweight he was always an avid walker - 7 miles/day in his late 70's - and it wasn't until early his early 80's that he started running into serious health issues.

And now that I've committed to paying the membership fee for a year that will be another incentive to get my nickel's worth.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #12863
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Made ~6 dozen pork tamales. I'll also try to do some chicken and beef.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #12864
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Made ~6 dozen pork tamales. I'll also try to do some chicken and beef.
Yum!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:56 AM   #12865
Recycles dryer sheets

Went on a 12 mile conditioning hike with DH as ongoing preparation for a wilderness trading class we're beginning in January, made three bean chili, attended training at our university for a web portal our Lifelong Learning program is adopting, finished out day watching the 1994 documentary "Hoop Dreams."

Today - jury duty calls. First time it's not a way to have a day off from work!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #12866
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Oh yeah another Ham here, though not active on tha air. Too many other hobbies,
I'm also a ham. Oh, you meant radio...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #12867

Drove down to Florida. Shorts and tees again. Uneventful, despite the bad weather. For the first time in my life I'm starting to think about how nice it would be to settle down and stay put. Hopefully it'll pass
Old 11-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #12868
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Drove down to Florida. Shorts and tees again. Uneventful, despite the bad weather. For the first time in my life I'm starting to think about how nice it would be to settle down and stay put. Hopefully it'll pass
If you stay there I predict it will pass by the end of August.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #12869
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I love being settled down and staying put. There is a lot to be said for being a homebody.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #12870
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I love being settled down and staying put. There is a lot to be said for being a homebody.
Yep, homebody here. I do still have some travels on my bucket list, but I like being at home, or at least at a friend's home. Food is better, drinks are cheaper, music is usually much better.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #12871

Quote:
I get that, and am the only one of my siblings like this. It's no wonder many of my favorite songs are about moving on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you stay there I predict it will pass by the end of August.
A wager you will most certainly win.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #12872

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Yep, homebody here. I do still have some travels on my bucket list, but I like being at home, or at least at a friend's home. Food is better, drinks are cheaper, music is usually much better.
Me too. I'm in the middle of dismantling a 30+ year life (not easy if you're intending to really do it and not just ship all your junk from point A to point B). Estimated completion: June. I'll be gone.

Then I'll be a stay at home mom. Ignore the facts that I'm not a girl and no kids. But I will be able to drive a couple of hours and be at the shore.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #12873

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm also a ham. Oh, you meant radio...
Funny

In other news, today I replaced the starter gear, changed oil, filters on my lawnmower. Made a final grass cut and parked the thing for the winter. With a generous dose of Stabil in the tank and carb.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #12874

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Still thinking about what will replace it. I'm leaning toward a multi-band trap vertical, but we still have a lot of trees and my off-center fed dipole worked pretty well for me. DW is not ready for a tower and yagi.
One of the net controllers on my daily net lives on 120 acres in Eastern Oregon. He has something like 5,000 feet of wire buried in the ground, towers, the lot. The nearest municipal electric line is several miles away, so he runs his whole place from solar. His nearest neighbor is several miles away too. Needless to say, it is a fantastically quiet RF location, and he seems to be able to hear almost everyone who calls into the net. I am quite envious.

On the other hand, he has to drive 6 miles to get his mail, and 30 miles to buy groceries.

However, with the kind of RFI I have to deal with here in the city, his QTH sounds like a dream.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #12875
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went in for a skin cancer treatment (Levulan Karastick PDT - "Blue Light") for my entire face. For a little over 16 minutes it made my face feel like it was being severly burned. They blew cold air on my face during the treatment to limit the discomfort. It still feels burned after 5 hours. When it was over it looked like it was severely burned or I had the plague. I have to stay out of the sun and even strong indoor lights for 48 hours then minimum exposure to sun for a few more days. Sure hope this works. I've tried every other treatment on the market during the past 15 years with little success other than a few Mohs surgeries.

Time for a beer or three.

Cheers!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #12876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I went in for a skin cancer treatment (Levulan Karastick PDT - "Blue Light") for my entire face. For a little over 16 minutes it made my face feel like it was being severly burned. They blew cold air on my face during the treatment to limit the discomfort. It still feels burned after 5 hours. When it was over it looked like it was severely burned or I had the plague. I have to stay out of the sun and even strong indoor lights for 48 hours then minimum exposure to sun for a few more days. Sure hope this works. I've tried every other treatment on the market during the past 15 years with little success other than a few Mohs surgeries.

Time for a beer or three.

Cheers!
I did this about 1.5 years ago. I had to go in for 3 (steadily harsher/longer) treatments over about 2 months. If you are not to concerned about getting messed up, the lady that did my treatment had a mist water sprayer and was constantly spraying me. It was only the 3rd treatment that really hurt. Kept the spots from coming back for a good year.....now they are creeping back again but still not quite as bad as they were.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #12877

Just back from the one week check up after big toe arthritis surgery. They seemed to be fairly impressed that I had no swelling. I got the feeling that most people don't sit with their feet up like you are supposed to.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #12878
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Just back from the one week check up after big toe arthritis surgery. They seemed to be fairly impressed that I had no swelling. I got the feeling that most people don't sit with their feet up like you are supposed to.
DWs big toe arthritis isn't severe enough to need surgery, and hopefully she never will now that she's discovered the alternative medicine treatment for it - Gin-Soaked Raisins for Arthritis
Old 11-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #12879

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
DWs big toe arthritis isn't severe enough to need surgery, and hopefully she never will now that she's discovered the alternative medicine treatment for it - Gin-Soaked Raisins for Arthritis
Oh oh....now you got my wife's attention. Being a Brit.....anything Gin related....and can possibly be used as an excuse for actually being good for you (even if very nebulous) is a good thing. Although I don't think she is willing to let the Gin evaporate off......

Actually....my toe wasn't that bad...yet. It had been getting worse though and the timing was right to just get it done now. Fair amount of bone to be shaved off in several places around the joint. But....I don't really care for gin.... so that treatment wouldn't have been very appealing anyway.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #12880
Administrator

My considered medical opinion is that gin can improve any health condition. I hear that Bombay Sapphire is particularly helpful in these situations. You simply pour a glass of it, show it a picture of a vermouth bottle, and call it a martini.