what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope your DW is on the mend, aja.

Enjoying this Cozumel respite from Chicago:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 14
Hope your wife recovers soon Aja8888.

I had a colonoscopy this morning. I remember them telling me how to lay and putting the oxygen mask on me and that is it. I woke up and it was over and the doctor had been there and gone. I do have the picture to prove it though! No polyps, yeah, so I guess I am good for another 10 years. I have been napping, reading and am now on the computer. I am also so appreciative to be able to eat and drink whatever I want!

Aja8888 I hope all goes well with your DW and your dog gets his nerves better.

So far our "snowstorm" has been 1/2" of slush. However, there is a possibility that overnight we'll get noticeable snow.

And I cooked 3 lbs of bacon in the microwave bacon cooker. This will take a couple of months to eat in small bits mixed in with other stuff.

I cooked 3 lbs of bacon in the microwave bacon cooker. This will take a couple of months to eat in small bits mixed in with other stuff.

Walt, I seriously admire your self-control. I cook 2-3 pounds of bacon about every other week, and it always runs out before the next batch.

I get my bacon from a local butcher and have it sliced extra thick (about 10 slices per pound), so the two of us get through it in short order.

Went to Italian class - first day of the new semester. Realized I'd forgotten a LOT in the 5 weeks since the end of last semester.

Interesting - the first semester was all youngsters (17-22 year olds). This class is a combo 2nd and 3rd semester and I'd venture that 1/2 the students are over 30... with several being around my age. Beginning of the last semester I thought I'd have to get a tattoo, piercing, and drop 30 years to fit in. Not so much with this group.

Today was a serious money day. The port-a-pot people had not been charging my credit card since last August. They caught up today to the tune of over $900. (Its a must-have at a construction site per county inspectors.) Got the estimate to fix the plow truck - $2000. Bought a set of skis/boots/poles, etc. at a second-hand store - $500. Many more days like this and I may have to "un-retire"! :cool: (Just kidding. And the skis were absolutely required. :D)

Mr B and I just got done watching "Sons of Liberty" on the History Channel. We tuned in about halfway through the second episode, so I will record all 3 when it airs again on Jan 30, back to back.

Absolutely fabulous production. :cool:

Time for bed so I can get up and see my little birdie friends at the feeder again in the early morning hours.

Zzzzzzz :greetings10:

Aja8888 I hope all goes well with your DW and your dog gets his nerves better.

+1

And I cooked 3 lbs of bacon in the microwave bacon cooker. This will take a couple of months to eat in small bits mixed in with other stuff.

Walt, I seriously admire your self-control. I cook 2-3 pounds of bacon about every other week, and it always runs out before the next batch...

But, but, but did you weigh the bacon after cooking to see how much was left after rendering out all the fat? How many ounces did you have left?

Never thought of doing that myself, but the "shrinkage" has to be huge, given the lard that was left that I kept for cooking.

The bacon fat is kept in the freezer and used for cooking as needed.
Whatever is in there when I make suet cakes is used for that, and the birds love it, so none of it goes to waste.

Hope your wife is feeling better soon. Take care of your self too.

Hope the wife is home soon and her recovery is speedy.

Thanks to all who posted best wishes and concerns.

DW is home and on O2 for the time being. I am sure once she is completely past the pneumonia, we won't need the O2 any longer. But for now, it's necessary.

Added another cup to the w*rk BS bucket today.

With the house paid off all I'm waiting for is to get through several health checkups and dentist appointments.

Once those are done the BS bucket will likely fill up much faster... then it will be bye, bye.

:greetings10:

Woke up to a broken hot water heater. DH can handle the job of installing a new one, but he's got contract work that keeps him busy until after the plumbing supply store closes. (What's the use of having a retired husband if he can't do stuff when you need him to??). So it was up to me to leave work early and pick up the replacement.

I had the receipt from the last tank we bought, so I knew exactly what to buy. The last one cost $400, the replacement came in at over $600. I commented "ouch, the price sure went up since the last one" and the nice man behind the counter said "yeah. I have a scratch and dent you could have for $450 if you want to take a look". I went in the back to check it out, and there was just some surface scratches along the top so I decided to take it.

As we were doing the transaction another worker saw the box and called my guy over for a hushed conversation. It seems that the scratched water heater was being saved for an employee and wasn't supposed to be sold. So they gave me a new one for the scratch & dent price 😀.

Now I'm waiting for DH to get home for the install. I'd like to go out for a run but it's too cold to come home and not be able to take a hot shower so I'll do some stretching instead.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Went out to lunch with DW using a restaurant gift card that our next door neighbor gave us when we cleared his driveway of snow.

And DW just notified me that there is a puddle of water on the floor near the furnace. It appears to be from the humidifier, didn't see any exterior leaks, no other water pipes around, so I shut the water off to that and put a fan on it to dry it out. If that doesn't dry it out I'll look further. At the moment I'm betting that it is coming from the humidifier that is still under warranty and is leaking inside the furnace and dripping down.

...... At the moment I'm betting that it is coming from the humidifier that is still under warranty and is leaking inside the furnace and dripping down.
I have a lot of minerals in my water and find the drain cakes up on my furnace humidifier and it then leaks onto the furnace and /or floor.

I have a lot of minerals in my water and find the drain cakes up on my furnace humidifier and it then leaks onto the furnace and /or floor.

I'll take a look at that but the drain goes to an open sink and seemed to be draining normally. Since it is still under warranty I'm not going to expend a lot of energy on this but make a phone call instead.:D

I'm acting as general contractor on a house we're building for in-laws on our property- exciting day, crane was here to set the trusses for the roof. Really starting to look like a house and can walk around and see how the plan translates to reality- so far, good!

I'll take a look at that but the drain goes to an open sink and seemed to be draining normally. Since it is still under warranty I'm not going to expend a lot of energy on this but make a phone call instead.:D
Good plan. I was warned by the furnace installers to not let water get onto the heat exchanger, as it might damage it.

I goofed off all day after getting my Escape from the mechanic's shop.

I went out and drank beer with my gardening buddy. I ordered chicken wings to go.
I stayed up late (2:30 AM ET).

I love being FIREd. :D

Finally decided I needed new glasses - minor prescription change. Had lunch at my favorite sushi bar, went for a walk, spent several hours on Netflix watching shows. Have a bunch of annual events to take care - doctor checkups, vehicle checkup, firearm recertification, taxes, etc - to take care of before we disappear into the boonies again. Thinking about heading SW until it warms up, then maybe NW. We'll pick out a few intermediate destinations, then meander on out ...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Went skiing yesterday at a small area call Monarch which is south of most of the large ski areas. Went with a friend who is in his 70s. He likes Monarch because skiing is free if you are 69 or older. I was pretty happy with the $40 senior rate too. The day started out fairly cold and overcast which meant the light was flat and it was hard to see what you were skiing on. The sun came out in the afternoon and that was much better. The new ski equipment worked just fine. The only issue was I brought thicker socks and they were too tight in the boots. I had to buy a pair of sock liners and that worked fine. The friend wants to start skiing at least once a week. I still have 3 passes to use with DD this year. I think this is shaping up to be a good winter!

Yesterday was the morning show of bird seed & bread crumbs and some putzing around the house with some chores.

Then I took a drive out to Torrey Pines St Park for a huff & puff walk up the road to the top of the cliffs to enjoy the view, then down the trail to the beach to walk back to the car - enjoying the beach, waves and view.

Then a lazy laid back afternoon listening to some music and prepping tacos for dinner.

I'm acting as general contractor on a house we're building for in-laws on our property- exciting day, crane was here to set the trusses for the roof. Really starting to look like a house and can walk around and see how the plan translates to reality- so far, good!

Congratulations!

I'm not that far on my house yet. I am going to install "outlooks" over the gable trusses on the roof ends. That means the gable end trusses and the next truss are tied together with 2x4s that extend over the edge of the roof. I will build those on the ground and have them put in place by the crane along with the rest of the trusses. I am waiting on better weather to put up the upper walls so I don't have to sweep snow between, around and over the walls.

Turned on my laptop this afternoon and got a black screen and 4 beeps from the motherboard. Always scary because I've done a few important things since my last backup. Used DW's laptop to do research, and found out it was a RAM problem. Took the bottom off and did some pull and boot experiments, and found the malf'ing memory card. So I'm back up and running, but on just 2GB of RAM. It sure is slow. The new (and upgraded) memory should be here in a couple of days.

Congratulations!

I'm not that far on my house yet. I am going to install "outlooks" over the gable trusses on the roof ends. That means the gable end trusses and the next truss are tied together with 2x4s that extend over the edge of the roof. I will build those on the ground and have them put in place by the crane along with the rest of the trusses. I am waiting on better weather to put up the upper walls so I don't have to sweep snow between, around and over the walls.

Thanks, sounds interesting. I've seen some of the pictures in your build thread, impressive place and a lot of work! Not sure I would do well at your altitude.

We had snow here over the weekend but only a couple of inches. Wd did spend some time clearing the snow out of the house and clearing off the top of the walls where the trusses would set but there was still some ice on the floor the day of crane work. I spread the sawdust from my collector in the workshop inside the house and this made it much easier/safer to walk around. The guys doing the work were appreciative! Now that the trusses are in place, we'll get the backfill in around the foundation and it will be much easier to walk around the site. Hoping to start that Monday and the metal roof will go on if the weather cooperates.

Here's a picture of the last truss/gable end going up.

012915house%2B028-713099.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom