Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #12921
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Brewed two 5 gallon batches of Oatmeal stout. Thought I'd take a photo.
That's beautiful!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #12922
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to work. Yay!
Old 12-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #12923
Give me a forum ...

Got my third central air conditioning estimate and pulled the trigger on the best offer. This is a ridiculous time to have AC installed in Michigan, but they are not busy and I got a good price (I hope...).

• None of the three contractors (all top rated on Angie's list) did a proper Manual J calculation, only one even measured the house square footage.
  • When I expressed interest in maximizing humidity control, two of three suggested a bigger evaporator coil, which is exactly backward.
I'll feel sorry for the installers working under the gaze of a retired engineer with nothing else to do. I already downloaded the installation manual and am reading up.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #12924
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Balanced my portfolio yesterday. Also figured out that at the 6 month mark in retirement I am spending about 10k more per year than I planned. Oh well, I guess the kids will have to do with a little less when I am gone...
Old 12-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #12925
Give me a forum ...

Got car inspection, wheel alignment and oil change. Normally I do oil changes, since it was slightly overdue, it was already in the shop, had the shop do that too. Less floor crawling. I consider it a hoilday splurge.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #12926

Cleared more snow from the driveway/sidewalk. Went with DW to her sister's to meet with a guy from Hospice re FIL. Had to leave that early for my regularly scheduled Dr. appointment. At least that part went well. He sees no reason I won't be a leach on my former employer's pension plan for the next 30-40 years.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #12927

Went to work in the dark and snowy cold. Waited in below zero temps for a bus that did not come. Toes nearly frost bitten. Got to work finally on next bus. Work. Came home in the dark and cold.
Eating chocolate chip cookies for dinner.
Ah, Minnesota.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #12928

Did my normal morning exercise routine (sit-ups, pushups, weight lifting, then a long walk along the beach). Came back to have some fruit and fresh made vegetable juice, then went for a bicycle ride to the pool, swam 20 laps, relaxed in the sauna/steam room/hot tub, then rode my bicycle back home. Now getting ready to go to a holiday party this evening.

All in all, a perfect day.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #12929
Full time employment: Posting here.

Installed dishwasher and baseboards in the bedrooms for the guest cabin we're building. Nearly done and a good thing, first guests here next week!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #12930
Give me a forum ...

What did I do today? Hmm... The day is still young, and I have not even had breakfast yet, but I have a feeling I will not be doing much today.

I am stuck here in a timeshare in a tourist town, but the wind was blowing all night, waking me up at times. Good thing we did a bit of walking downtown when we had the chance. Today, perhaps we will drive around a bit but stay in the car. Or just stay in the room by the fireplace, with my trusty Calvados bottle nearby.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #12931
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Got my third central air conditioning estimate and pulled the trigger on the best offer. This is a ridiculous time to have AC installed in Michigan, but they are not busy and I got a good price (I hope...).

• None of the three contractors (all top rated on Angie's list) did a proper Manual J calculation, only one even measured the house square footage.
  • When I expressed interest in maximizing humidity control, two of three suggested a bigger evaporator coil, which is exactly backward.
I'll feel sorry for the installers working under the gaze of a retired engineer with nothing else to do. I already downloaded the installation manual and am reading up.
Good luck and watch the copper pipe soldering technique closely.

I went through that same nonsense two years ago here in hot & humid Texas. Decided to buy my own equipment and install it myself. I just hired an A/C guy we know to pull a vacuum and reload the new system. I'll bet I saved $3000 on the job this way.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #12932
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Good luck and watch the copper pipe soldering technique closely.

I went through that same nonsense two years ago here in hot & humid Texas. Decided to buy my own equipment and install it myself. I just hired an A/C guy we know to pull a vacuum and reload the new system. I'll bet I saved $3000 on the job this way.
Good advice. I looked into buying the hardware from a place like Alpine and hiring a HVAC tech to do the silver soldering and refrigerant work, but I was happy with the installed price given that I was getting brand name hardware that is arguably a step up from Goodman and didn't have to do the work myself. Installed price, for reference, was $2600 for a Carrier mid-range 2 ton all inclusive of wiring, sheet metal fabrication and plumbing. Ten years parts / two years labor warranty.

Or maybe I'm merely rationalizing my decision.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #12933
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Good advice. I looked into buying the hardware from a place like Alpine and hiring a HVAC tech to do the silver soldering and refrigerant work, but I was happy with the installed price given that I was getting brand name hardware that is arguably a step up from Goodman and didn't have to do the work myself. Installed price, for reference, was $2600 for a Carrier mid-range 2 ton all inclusive of wiring, sheet metal fabrication and plumbing. Ten years parts / two years labor warranty.

Or maybe I'm merely rationalizing my decision.
That sounds like a great deal!

Down this way with the heat loads are high (I have lived in Michigan for a few years), the unit I bought was a Goodman 4 ton from an outlet in Florida. I believe I paid about $2300 + $80 shipping for the condenser/evaporator coil and spent another $500 or so on charging/etc. But that was two years ago and I did it in November. It was a drop in installation except for a bit of modification on the intake sheet metal for the evp coil.

Quotes I had at that time were $5 - $6K installed.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #12934
Administrator

Finished with Mom's holiday cards and gifts. And just like that, we received a gift box in the mail from DW's sister and BIL. He's a good guy, fun to be around and a great drinking buddy. We don't see them often and rarely exchange gifts, so this was unexpected, but they know I like Lebkuchen, and good Germans that they are, they know where to get the good stuff.

Won't be a white Christmas for us, but it will be a fattening one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gingerbread cookies.jpg (678.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #12935
Moderator Emeritus

Started working on the 400+ pastries I need to bake before Sunday night. It's tradition, each and every one of DW's employees gets a small bag of homemade goodies for the holidays. Last year, I wiggled out of it using the fact that our new kitchen was too small for such endeavor. But too many people asked me to resume the tradition this year, some shamelessly using their kids to beg, so I'm back at it. It's going to be a logistical challenge.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #12936
Give me a forum ...

I do not bake, but my wife knows how to make a kind of Petits fours salés (savory pastries filled with ground meat), and choux à la crème (cream puffs).

I like to eat savory food more than sweets, hence have not been too interested in baking. Maybe I should explore a bit more about this culinary area.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #12937

Went to the gym with DW, then she wanted to stop by the grocery store for "a few items" to have on hand before tomorrow's forecast 3 - 5 inches of snow. $100 later(!) we were out of there. Well, okay, I got a bottle of wine.

Tomorrow's goal is to stay under roof and out of the snow.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #12938
Give me a forum ...

Got up really early and drove to the airport. Incoming flight was 40 minutes late due to bad weather to the east, but we were promised that we would make our connections in Vancouver, and we did. Very pleasant flight to Cancun on Westjet, complimentary shuttle to fabulous Grand Bliss resort (suite is as big as my condo), delicious taco supper, dip in a the plunge pool on the balcony, now watching CNN before turning in. Tomorrow: shop for groceries in Playa Del Carmen, explore huge resort, swim, arrange tours to Mayan ruins, etc.....life is good.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #12939
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Got up really early and drove to the airport. Incoming flight was 40 minutes late due to bad weather to the east, but we were promised that we would make our connections in Vancouver, and we did. Very pleasant flight to Cancun on Westjet, complimentary shuttle to fabulous Grand Bliss resort (suite is as big as my condo), delicious taco supper, dip in a the plunge pool on the balcony, now watching CNN before turning in. Tomorrow: shop for groceries in Playa Del Carmen, explore huge resort, swim, arrange tours to Mayan ruins, etc.....life is good.

I see you are really roughing it.

That is also DW's idea of camping.
Enjoy.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #12940

Just getting ready for Christmas - buying gifts, put the tree up, etc. - spending too much money lol.