Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #1281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Almost a replay of yesterday - exercise bike (4th time this week, short sessions), planted lettuce in window boxes, filled pots for watermelons, peppers, and tomatoes, folded laundry, goofed off.
59 degree high today but very windy. I survived.
Made homemade pizza on oven toasted submarine rolls by special request from dh2b. They were killer!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #1282
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Was watching gorgeous sunset, viewed it out back from the swing with DW, while having a nice glass of vino.
What a perfect way to end the day!

R

Old 04-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #1283
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got a call yesterday from the non-profit where I volunteered to offer chair massages....I am booked from 12-5, half hour sessions each. I also have three new paying clients next week in my new office. This visualizing stuff really does work!
I am up way too early today....but have school all day and then am going to a drumming meditation workshop.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #1284
Dryer sheet aficionado

As one of the new "kids" on the block, having just joined this group, I am rushing to go here do this and there to do that. I'll get used to the fact that I can slow down and worry about one thing at time now, "one of these days."
But, what led to me to this web sight was in doing an internet search on a Telephone bill charge by a third-party business. A previous posting had a similar experience.
What I've found, was very troubling to me. The FCC allows the major telcoms to act as collection agencies for these companies.
My phone bill, is always $31.00 a month. I use a cell phone, and the "home" number has voice-mail that I give to "other people" that I don't need to carry on conversations with. The April bill had a "one time set-up fee of $9.00" for services that I never heard of or requested. This would have gone without notice a few years ago when we used the phone on an everyday matter. Normally, I'd call and say there was a mistake and remove the charges, and it would be the end of story. But, this is the second time this has occurred in a six month period.
So, I've got to wonder how these companies are "targeting" me? The internet search for OAN SERVICES is a real eye-opener. It's my opinion that some of these companies exist only by adding services and hoping that maybe they can get away with it half the time. The rewards are better than "ROBBING A BANK". If you get caught, nothing happens, it was just a mistake!
I'm going to take the time and share my story with anyone who will listen. I have gone to the Federal Communications Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, and the California Public Communications Commission.
For those who are reading this story, if you would like to read some of the stories that have lead me to this point, I used "GOOGLE" and did a search on OAN Services.
Perhaps some of you without knowing it was ripped off. Thanks for hearing me out. Again, if this was the first time, I could understand a mistake, but not twice in six months.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #1285
Give me a forum ...

What a fun day yesterday. Went to my Alma Mater spring football game with several friends. Drove up in a nice motor home and boy, that is the way to travel. I can see why so many people here love their RV's. My buddy owns a Winnebago which runs in the neighborhood of 150k, but he pointed out some in the 350k to 1mil range that we tailgated next to. Sure are some heavy hitters out there. Glad I got to see how the other half live.

But it was great day. For lunch, I had some ribs washed down with a couple of meds. Then watched my MS State Bullie's beat KY in a baseball game. Then back for more meds before the spring football game. The great thing about spring football, you can't lose. Almost didn't make the trip as there was a 70% chance of rain. Only saw a few drops on the way home.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #1286
Dryer sheet aficionado

Ah, the weather was SO nice, thought I'd stop and smell the rose's... I'm tying to talk myself into going out for a walk with my dogs, but one is always trying to go left while the other goes right. The old saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks sure was right on the money. It's still early, so I still have time.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #1287
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyM View Post
Ah, the weather was SO nice, thought I'd stop and smell the rose's... I'm tying to talk myself into going out for a walk with my dogs, but one is always trying to go left while the other goes right. The old saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks sure was right on the money. It's still early, so I still have time.
Take one dog for a walk and then the other. Twice the exercise.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 04-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #1288
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Made some tasty soup.
Watched a cold front move in.
Watched a woodchuck eat dandelions.
Saw a Northern Harrier check out the bird feeder.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #1289

Finished the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Course today. Having previously owned a motorcycle 32 years ago and studied the heck out of Proficient Motorcycling beforehand I didn't learn much new from from the course, but it was interesting nonetheless. Of course I did pick up a few pointers, as one does in any class, even if you're qualified to teach it. Nobody knows it all.

I would highly recommend this course for anyone who has never ridden a motorcycle, or who is thinking about it. You get to ride their motorcycles (250 cc size) and at the end of the class - as the instructors emphasized - you will be qualified to ride a small motorcycle in a parking lot. But it will get you the motorcycle license in many if not most states. Cost here was $100 and I do not consider it wasted.

Then went for a ride and took some pictures from the top of a nearby mountain before the rain started.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #1290
Give me a forum ...

Pleasant and interesting day at the hospital. Was called at 4 am to discuss a perplexing problem. To work at 0700h. Busy but not crazy busy, with several cases requiring Sherlock Holmes problem solving, discussions with families, finishing up with a nice (i.e. successful) resuscitation. The nurses are awesome!

On call now. Hope the beeper stays quiet so I can watch The Amazing Race!

Old 04-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #1291
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
My walls are bare because I can't see spending $50 for a framed painting let alone $800+.
I'm with you. That's why I do my own art
Old 04-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #1292
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went to work. Wait, it's not as bad as it sounds. Had the whole floor to myself and was able to study in quiet and concentrate for 3 hours. Then I hit the gym. What a concept to not have to drag yourself to the gym after a 12 hour work day. I feel the pleasantness of a productive day as I exercised my mind and body.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #1293
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Reminds me of Foxworthy's "You might be a redneck if you went to the dump and came back with more stuff than you brought".
That's right. I am so grateful to my county for its strong redneck-prevention regulations
Old 04-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #1294
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Speaking of rednecks: Redneck Bank

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 04-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #1295
Dryer sheet aficionado

Weather, upper 90's
dogs zero basketball two,
iced tea, perfect
what a finish by Philly,
My Lakers did ok too.
everything else, well there's always tommorrow!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #1296
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
ok...that was just creepy.....
Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 PM   #1297
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Then watched my MS State Bullie's beat KY in a baseball game.

Not as much luck today vs. the Cats
Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #1298
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I loved the login clickable image at Redneck Bank - About Us
The horse's eyes were a bit on the eeky side.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 AM   #1299
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday...got dragged to Wallyworld for lawn stuff. Went through sticker shock at the prices, even for them.
Stealth shopper online while dh2b diagnosed and replaced the hard drive on a friend's computer...I finished ordering presents for dh2b's upcoming 49th. He feels better about that cuz I'm slightly older.
I watched for online sales for weeks and hit the jackpot with $17 dress shirts at Sears. Got some camisoles for myself for $3 each.
Did some yard w*rk with dh2b - he w*rked and I supervised and did the lighter stuff.
Rain for next 3 days, so it's time to plant my baby watermelon and cucumber seeds in pots in my screened porch. Bareroot grapevines are happy in their temporary pot and awaiting right temps for garden planting.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #1300
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
3% MM - Nicer interest rate than CapOne - pay me the money and they can call it anything they like!