Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #12981
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linny727 View Post
My first day of retirement. QAZWSX3E
!
Coingrats....Also first real day of retirement... got up early and DW and I cleaned out garden fountain, replumbed and leveled and cranked it back up... got to figure out husband/wife project duties... we're going to kill each other if we don't divide up the duties of each project and do our own thing..

it's only 10am and I'm cleaned up and ready to go visit eldercare attorney to talk about my 84 year old mom's next phase.. she's doing great but I'm just looking down the road for things I need to do now to prepare her for the best possible remaining years...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #12982
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats to the new retirees.

--------------------------

Went to Big Lots to pick up a few items. Walked to my car, put some of my purchases in the trunk, then put one item in the passenger seat, along with my purse. Walked over to the driver's door...it wouldn't open. I was locked out.

Went back in the store...I guess I must have looked pitiful and perplexed as a man asked me what was wrong. I told him I locked myself out of my car. My purse was in there along with my cell phone. He graciously offered his cell phone so I could call DH.

When I told DH what happened he said...'did you try to open the door?'

I said....'Ummm, yeah.'

Technology (fobs) can sometimes be a PITA.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #12983
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
When I told DH what happened he said...'did you try to open the door?'

I said....'Ummm, yeah.'

Not necessarily as crazy as you might think. Back in my wayward youth as a Navy submariner, when some piece of equipment was not operating, the first question in the troubleshooting litany was this one: "Is the ON/OFF switch in the ON position?" You would be amazed at the number of times that solved the problem.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #12984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Not necessarily as crazy as you might think. Back in my wayward youth as a Navy submariner, when some piece of equipment was not operating, the first question in the troubleshooting litany was this one: "Is the ON/OFF switch in the ON position?" You would be amazed at the number of times that solved the problem.
As a recently married graduate student I went to the Venezuelan Consulate in Houston to get my visa. We entered the front office and found the staff standing around the IBM Selectric typewriter, trying to make it work. The sole man, on hands and knees and with posterior facing the visitors, was under the desk shouting instructions to the others. I suggested they investigate the unplugged electric cord in close proximity on the floor. They did, and the machine came to life. The man turned out to be the Consul General. Embarassed that he had been shown up in front of his staff, he promptly insulted my wife and denied my visa.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #12985
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Embarassed that he had been shown up in front of his staff, he promptly insulted my wife and denied my visa.
That's what you get for being such a smart@ss.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 12-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's what you get for being such a smart@ss.
Hehe. I heard the term a lot back in the day. My response .. It's sure better than being a dumb@ss.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #12987

When I was doing computer forensic work the very first thing before we started the process of making a copy of a hard drive was pull the plug on the forensic machine (this was well before the time of specialized gear for that). Very often we'd check everything twice on the checklist, push the "ON" button and be confronted with silence.

"Um, do you think it might work better if we plugged it in?" became a standard office joke.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #12988

Learned to fly a helicopter.

In the family room.

While I have a lot of experience with R/C (radio control) airplanes a helicopter is a different beast. I ordered this little thing last Monday and it arrived yesterday afternoon. It is extremely sensitive on the controls even at the lowest sensitivity but I have finally mastered the hover, the basic building block to anything else. As long as one remembers to chop the power when things go wrong - and it often did - there is no damage that I could see. It can and did drop from ceiling height with no damage.

Inexpensive fun in the winter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helicopter_flying-1.jpg (108.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Helicopter_flying-2.jpg (113.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Helicopter_flying-3.jpg (122.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #12989
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

In the family room.

While I have a lot of experience with R/C (radio control) airplanes a helicopter is a different beast. I ordered this little thing last Monday and it arrived yesterday afternoon. ........
I have the same helicopter, as does my grandson. They are surprising easy to fly and surprisingly sturdy. For Christmas he is getting this key chain video to turn it into a drone. These cheap video cameras are popular with the model rocket crowd, too.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #12990

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I have the same helicopter, as does my grandson. They are surprising easy to fly and surprisingly sturdy. For Christmas he is getting this key chain video to turn it into a drone. These cheap video cameras are popular with the model rocket crowd, too.
Thanks! I added the video camera to my wish list there and will order it the next time I buy something.

When we get a day when the wind is dead calm I'll try flying outside where there is more room.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #12991
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
..........When we get a day when the wind is dead calm I'll try flying outside where there is more room.
Some can't be flown outside. I think it has to do with the control system using infrared which needs to bounce off walls, as opposed to RF like larger models.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #12992
Give me a forum ...

I got a very similar one last year, and flying it in the two story living room is great. Especially flying it over the upstairs open hallway and back down into the foyer. The wind shear can get really tricky if you leave the ceiling fan on. Hmmm, now that the foyer chandelier has crashed to the floor I should have even more room. Have to break the little thing out again.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #12993
Give me a forum ...

Flew home from Mexico. One connection. There were weather delays, but that's winter for you. Now absolutely bushed and hitting the hay!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #12994
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

In the family room.....
Boys and their toys..... actually looks like fun.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #12995

I gotta get one of those
Old 12-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #12996

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Some can't be flown outside. I think it has to do with the control system using infrared which needs to bounce off walls, as opposed to RF like larger models.
This one is radio control. I did have one a couple of years ago that was IR control but the only controls were throttle and rudder. Rudder was almost completely ineffective and that made things worse.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #12997
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

In the family room.

While I have a lot of experience with R/C (radio control) airplanes a helicopter is a different beast. I ordered this little thing last Monday and it arrived yesterday afternoon. It is extremely sensitive on the controls even at the lowest sensitivity but I have finally mastered the hover, the basic building block to anything else. As long as one remembers to chop the power when things go wrong - and it often did - there is no damage that I could see. It can and did drop from ceiling height with no damage.

Inexpensive fun in the winter!
Hi Walt,

You sold me! Ordered 3 of them. One for each of the kids and one for me. Even paid an extra 12 bucks to get them before Christmas.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #12998
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by linny727 View Post
My first day of retirement. I walked to my old job, picked up the bike they bought me, got a coffee, rode home. Got a cool basket for my bike, weavers from Ghana support their village making bike baskets. Took a long nap with my animals and now just relaxing and contemplating a long night of reading since I have no work to go tomorrow!
Congratulations linny727....would love to hear how you're adjusting as the days, weeks, & months go by. Enjoy!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #12999
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Today I started packing for Florida.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #13000
Give me a forum ...

Just back from the family Christmas gathering in AL. Good to see everyone, but glad it's over. Will enjoy the next few days with the mutt, a bottle of wine and good food I brought back with me. And will enjoy some peace and quite. I'll start my diet January 1. I'll let you know what year later.

Closed Thread