what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new cutting edge for the plow yesterday. Put it on this morning and put the plow on the truck. The transfer case appears to be in top shape along with the plow. It is supposed to snow tonight and I'm ready!

With a beautiful day (sunny and 70+) and an empty calendar for today (until a short 7pm meeting), I decided to break with my normal routine and drove down to a local park for some trail walking. Much more scenic than my usual 2 miles through the neighborhood. Saw quite a few fish and turtles (including one more than a foot long) in the creek. Very pleasant way to spend the morning.

Went grocery shopping after enjoying lunch on the patio. Then worked on a project for our church's endowment committee. Fortunately the 12-year-old Zip disc with the (apparently) only copies of some of the original documents fired right up (and I was really glad that I hadn't taken my Zip drive to Goodwill after I finished going through my own collection of Zip discs last year!).

Getting ready to fix steelhead trout with veggies for dinner. Very enjoyable day.

Awesome day today. Started it out by getting the kids off to the school bus pre-dawn. From there, headed to La Jolla Shores with my dog. Tide was low, waves were big, the light on the water - that pinkish/bluish/silverish that comes at sunrise and sunset - was amazing. Surfers were wiping out all over the place with these giant waves. (Giant for here - lots of 6' sets and I saw a few 10' waves...guestimating the height using surfers as a gauge.)

Came home - studied Italian for several hours. First quiz of the semester is tomorrow. I'm not fairly comfortable with passato prossimo using essere and avere as auxiliary verbs.

While I was doing that - DH did a canyon walk with dog. The dog looked wiped out after my 2.5 miles beach walk and his 4.5 mile canyon walk.

Then DH and I picked up the kids and drove to UCSD to the passport center. The boys passports expired 2 years ago so we got them new ones. We got lucky - walked in and there was NO ONE ahead of us. While she processed our applications, 4 more groups came in. We definitely timed it right.

That inspired me to start putting deposits down on the vacation rentals this summer. I'm confirmed/booked for Bologna, Berlin and London. I've got queries out to Riposto, Venice, Prague, Amsterdam, Paris. Need to nail down Nice, Aix en Provence, and Barcelona.

I uninstalled KB3013455 which came as part of yesterday's "patch Tuesday" from Microsoft. That one breaks font rendering on XP/FLP/WEPOS/POS2009 (the fonts become "blurry" in the browser, etc). Yes, I'm using the POS hack on XP...too lazy to "upgrade" the machine.

Yesterday I finally dragged myself to the gym. It was fantastic! This morning I got up, dressed in my sweats, filled my water bottle and went to the gym again. Drove to the store and noticed as I was driving on a finally sunny day what a joy it was going to the gym and not feeling like I didn't have enough time for a good workout, and driving to the store how uncluttered my mind was with things I have to get done. Even if I am filling in a work a couple of days a month until everyone is replaced who is leaving, the freedom of having enough time to take care of myself is the best part of retirement.

Yesterday I finally dragged myself to the gym. It was fantastic! This morning I got up, dressed in my sweats, filled my water bottle and went to the gym again. Drove to the store and noticed as I was driving on a finally sunny day what a joy it was going to the gym and not feeling like I didn't have enough time for a good workout, and driving to the store how uncluttered my mind was with things I have to get done. Even if I am filling in a work a couple of days a month until everyone is replaced who is leaving, the freedom of having enough time to take care of myself is the best part of retirement.

Careful now, all this freedom and joy could get habit forming.

Gym day for me too. 4 months of weight training and I am really starting to see and feel a difference. The occasional roid-monkey will park himself beside me and stir up feelings of inadequacy...but this has been very positive overall.

By the time paddling season rolls around, and with my renovated upper torso, I may be able to get my kayak to plane. ;)

Hey, guess what ? It's snowing again. :LOL:

I am finally recovered from my deck shoveling adventure the other day. Nothing hurts anymore. So I did the front steps and the close areas that the plow cannot reach. It's getting very windy now so I had to retreat into the house.

All sorts of icicles are hanging from the gutters, so once the wind dies down, I will get my long flexible PVC pole out and knock them down from a safe position. I can open the upper story windows and use a telescoping light bulb changer to get them. I have melting wires on the north side of the roof, and they are doing their job beautifully.

Melting roof snow is a sure sign of spring. :dance:

I'm going to lay low and stay inside putzing, will have to water the outside plants soon - the Santa Ana winds are picking up and it is frickin' hot already outside and bone dry.

So far, I've changed the oil in my car and rotated the tires. I usually prefer to do this out in the driveway, but it's covered in snow and really cold, so it was an inside the garage event. This afternoon, I'm planning to brew some beer.

After cutting the grass over the weekend, the mole burrows are more evident. I wish I could get rid of those pests. Now if it would freeze hard here for a week or so, they would die, but not happening. I suppose if that happened, everyone would freak out as their water pipes would bust like in the late 1980's when Houston had a hard freeze. It was good to be a plumber back then!

Tree trimming is next on the agenda and then fertilize the grass. Checking out sprinkler system too.

Had a periodic follow-up with the cardiologist and brought with me a copy of the BP and pulse rate readings I had recorded over the last six weeks, a printout of my gym workout and the list of prescriptions I'm on. He should have had the last but I wanted to make sure there were no discrepancies.

The first reaction was one of surprise - "Nobody does this!" - but he was enthused at the workout and BP readings. Some discussion about the meds but no changes.

Then went downstairs to the gym and did another workout. It is in the same building as the cardiologist's office.

Tried to resolve email problems this morning. I'm at the eye dr now, going grocery shopping and then for a pizza after. Then watch the bills.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Returned a light bulb.

In May of 2013 I bought a LED light bulb. It promised 3 years and 30,000 hours.
Well the sucker died last week. Finally got around to taking it, the receipt and original packaging back to Lowe's. The packaging said exchange only. The very young lady at the returns counter had make a few phone calls to resolve the return problem.

Lowe's no longer sells that brand, so I got my money back, $15 and change.
I will not be buying another household type LED until the technology improves to make the claimed benefits --- all of them.

After cutting the grass over the weekend, the mole burrows are more evident. I wish I could get rid of those pests. Now if it would freeze hard here for a week or so, they would die, but not happening. I suppose if that happened, everyone would freak out as their water pipes would bust like in the late 1980's when Houston had a hard freeze. It was good to be a plumber back then!

Tree trimming is next on the agenda and then fertilize the grass. Checking out sprinkler system too.

AJA, I think you are in Texas so don't know if this works in your area or is even available there. There's a product called Grubex that is put on the lawn to kill the grubs. The moles are after grubs and other insects in the lawn. I thought it effective longer but think I just read that it's good for 4 months. I don't use it, our yard too big plus we have a creek. I'm not into many chemicals.

I use to have a dog that would stand quietly and listen for the moles. Then would rear up on her hind legs and slam her nose into the tunnels trying to catch them. Think she only ever caught one but was funny to see.

I'm going to lay low and stay inside putzing, will have to water the outside plants soon - the Santa Ana winds are picking up and it is frickin' hot already outside and bone dry.

It has been a good day to wash windows on the shady side of the house. Done now. Too hot.

AJA, I think you are in Texas so don't know if this works in your area or is even available there. There's a product called Grubex that is put on the lawn to kill the grubs. The moles are after grubs and other insects in the lawn. I thought it effective longer but think I just read that it's good for 4 months. I don't use it, our yard too big plus we have a creek. I'm not into many chemicals.

I use to have a dog that would stand quietly and listen for the moles. Then would rear up on her hind legs and slam her nose into the tunnels trying to catch them. Think she only ever caught one but was funny to see.

Yes, we are in the area north of Houston. I'll look into Grubex, thanks. Our dog sniff the trails and then lifts his leg and whizzes in the area. great dog, eh?

We used to have a cat that did that. I would see her sitting in the lawn, staring intently at the ground. At some point, she would get very alert and paw at a spot in the grass. At that point, I would plunge a pitchfork into the ground at that spot and almost invariably killed a mole. Very impressive what some animals can hear.

I went out for a fun day of geocaching. Tomorrow the beach....Life is pretty hard deciding where I'm going outside to play!

Started the morning with a very nice walk with the pooch at La Jolla shores beach. Came home to find email from an illusive vacation rental landlord confirming we could rent his apartment. Yay! Booking was interrupted by a call from younger sons gym teacher telling me there was a basketball accident. This was followed in short order by a call from the school nurse suggesting I pick him up and get his elbow xrayed.

So the next 3 hours were spent at Kaiser's ER to confirm he had a broken elbow and get his temp cast till he sees orthopedics tomorrow. Looks like he's out the rest of basketball season (3 or 4 more weeks) and will not be playing baseball as planned. I notified both coaches.

If this year continues on this way we'll have reached max out of pocket for our HSA plan by April or May.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

interrupted by a call from younger sons gym teacher telling me there was a basketball accident. This was followed in short order by a call from the school nurse suggesting I pick him up and get his elbow xrayed.

So the next 3 hours were spent at Kaiser's ER to confirm he had a broken elbow and get his temp cast till he sees orthopedics tomorrow. Looks like he's out the rest of basketball season (3 or 4 more weeks) and will not be playing baseball as planned. I notified both coaches.

If this year continues on this way we'll have reached max out of pocket for our HSA plan by April or May.

How distressing! As another mom, I sure do extend my sympathy to you as well as to him. I hope he is not in too much pain right now, and that he gets a good prognosis from orthopedics tomorrow. :(

Kids heal quickly. I know from lots of experience. :)

Started the morning with a very nice walk with the pooch at La Jolla shores beach. Came home to find email from an illusive vacation rental landlord confirming we could rent his apartment. Yay! Booking was interrupted by a call from younger sons gym teacher telling me there was a basketball accident. This was followed in short order by a call from the school nurse suggesting I pick him up and get his elbow xrayed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Oh, I remember getting a call just like that. Our son was in middle school and got hurt playing basketball. It was his wrist. The fiberglass casts that can get wet and be submerged were pretty new then but it made a big difference in his comfort compared to the plaster cast he had with a previous arm fracture, also basketball if I'm remembering correctly.

If a fiberglass cast is not offered, ask about it.

The worst part for my son was that he's a drummer and he hated not being able to play the drums. He thought it was pretty funny that Mom had to write out his homework.

I hope your son's recovery goes well and that he's not in a lot of pain.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom