Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #13041
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't know about these flying things. With poor eye/hand coordination like I have, it would not last long. And I would have to wear goggles in case it flies into my face. Have you seen the news about how a larger 6-lb RC chopper can do?

The biggest mishap of the day was my daughter's hair got sucked into the tail rotor a bit. She was holding it in the palm of her hand while a friend was lifting it off. It didn't cause any problem or tangle her hair. Lots of crashes. These little guys can take quite a lot of punishment.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #13042
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
... Lots of crashes. These little guys can take quite a lot of punishment.
What I am afraid is to slice my or someone else's eyeballs with this thing.

I used to be involved in RC planes with my son. After a few crashes, I did not find that to be fun, and only built planes with my son for him to fly. I am no good at this stuff.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #13043
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
What I am afraid is to slice my or someone else's eyeballs with this thing.

I used to be involved in RC planes with my son. After a few crashes, I did not find that to be fun, and only built planes with my son for him to fly. I am no good at this stuff.
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep my eyes closed when I fly the thing.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #13044
Give me a forum ...

Yeah. One can't be too careful.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #13045
Give me a forum ...

So, my Quicken screen bottom line went up another 0.28% yesterday, with my stocks going up 0.54%, while the US indices were all slightly down. Ah, as a non-indexer, I have always found contrarian days like that interesting, although things tend to move together most of the time.

Such ebullience in the market. A 10% correction may come anytime, but I suspect the market may still inch up another 1% or 2%. I am not planning on spending any of this gain. Might book some profits rebalance or write some covered calls.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #13046

Quote:
I don't know about these flying things. With poor eye/hand coordination like I have, it would not last long. And I would have to wear goggles in case it flies into my face. Have you seen the news about how a larger 6-lb RC chopper can do?

Toy RC helicopter decapitates man [VIDEO]: Roman Pirozek, 19, scalped to death after losing control in Brooklyn park | Christian News on Christian Today
I saw the article on that. Strange that he couldn't see that one coming....

Oh. Am I being insensitive again?
Old 12-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #13047
Full time employment: Posting here.

Breaking Bad Marathon!!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #13048
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
We went to a mellow biker bar on the other end of the island.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #13049

Went to a Thai restaurant with family, never been to one. One person had originally wanted to go to a Greek restaurant, but when we met there, that turned out to be closed on Mondays. How rude.

The Thai place was across the street and we went there. I like spicy food and wasn't disappointed. On some dishes this place offered spicing on a scale of 1 to 9 - I chose 8 and the waitress raised an eyebrow and said "Are you sure?". Hmmm. Perhaps I should reconsider - okay, make it a 7. That turned out to be just right. I only sweated a little bit, meaning it didn't drip off me.

Good stuff.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #13050
Recycles dryer sheets

Since my retirement on 12/20 I've done pretty much what I wanted to do, which was nothing! It's been bliss so far.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #13051
Moderator Emeritus

what did you do today?

I cancelled our daily newspaper delivery. Instead of $40/month it will now cost $9.60/month for a daily digital subscription and Sunday delivery of a real paper. Will see how it goes.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #13052
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I cancelled our daily newspaper delivery. Instead of $40/month it will now cost $9.60/month for a daily digital subscription and Sunday delivery of a real paper. Will see how it goes.
I did that a few months ago, BWE. I was worried about how I would spend that first hour after waking up without a New York Times in my hands after 30 years. I adapted to the electronic version pretty easily (plus the crosswords!). The NYtimes has just introduced a new way of reading the "daily paper" that I really like. And they're incorporating more and more video and interactive features on the site that I enjoy.

However, I still kinda listen for the "thunk" of the paper hitting the sidewalk outside my place...
Old 12-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #13053
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The Thai place was across the street and we went there. I like spicy food and wasn't disappointed. On some dishes this place offered spicing on a scale of 1 to 9 - I chose 8 and the waitress raised an eyebrow and said "Are you sure?". Hmmm. Perhaps I should reconsider - okay, make it a 7. That turned out to be just right. I only sweated a little bit, meaning it didn't drip off me.
Thus proving that with age comes wisdom. Did the same thing then I was in my 20s, except when she asked if I was sure I said yes. Scorched every orifice on my body.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #13054
Give me a forum ...

Just finished cleaning up after hosting a New Year Eve lunch with most siblings from both our sides of family. Twenty five total, although some nieces and nephews have moved out of town, and are not in town for the occasion.

Everybody brought something, so it was more of a potluck. I made grilled lemon chicken, and grilled shrimp, served with pearl couscous tossed with grilled zucchini, onion, and bell peppers. It took me one hour to grill all that outside in the morning, but the temperature was 65F, so it was not too bad, and I really enjoyed the grilling.

Four hours later, after a few bottles of Chimay, red and white wine, plus the obligatory brandy sipping, people have all left. After helping my wife cleaning up, I am curled up with the laptop in my lap (it does sound redundant!), surfing the Web, waiting for some late MFs to report in with the day's gain.

How can life get better than this? I guess it can with more money, but it will be just marginally so.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #13055
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went out with bud and caught supper (lookdown, snapper, and sand brim).
Currently looking at all insurance options.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #13056

DW and I went to see "Saving Mr. Banks". It was a good film, better than I expected. We then went to a local Indian restaurant and had an enjoyable meal.

Thanks to all who joined us in last night celebrating DW's birthday!
Old 01-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #13057
Administrator

Figured out how much I wanted to withdraw for all of 2014, and it is on its way through cyberspace from Vanguard to my bank. (I prefer to only withdraw once each year, to reduce the complexity and make mistakes less likely).

Then I rebalanced my portfolio, as is my custom during the first week in January.

Since this is a holiday, naturally none of it will actually be reflected in my Vanguard or bank balances today. But I am so glad to have that all completed.

I also figured out exactly what percentage I spent this past year, by three methods:
(1) the standard SWR method
(2) the "percent of the balance at the first of the year" method (my favorite)
(3)the "percent of my lowest balance on 3/9/2009".
All three were satisfactory IMO so that's nice to know.

Also I was finally able to find out how much I earned in dividends in 2013, and was relieved to find out that my spending did not exceed my dividends. It was very close, whew!

After doing these and quite a few other little analyses and computations that I like to do on each January 1, I am very happy (since I love playing with numbers in Excel). My brain is also a little bit fried. I am completely confident in my numbers, and I think this whole how-much-to-withdraw decision process is getting easier for me now that I have been in decumulation phase a few years.

Off to lunch with Frank in a little while. It should be challenging to find a restaurant that is open today.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #13058
Give me a forum ...

W2R -

I pretty much did the same routine.

Just put in the orders to rebalance my accounts and also set up the automatic withdrawals for 2014 from my VG money market account to my checkbook.

Taking a little break for a late lunch...then I'll putz around to set up my 2014 budget either later today or tomorrow.

The snow is falling and falling outside so that makes the process actually easier.

Like you said, glad to have the chore done and out of the way
Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #13059

DW informs me that based on weather forecasts she isn't going outside until March at the earliest. She shares my aversion to cold weather and especially snow. Whatever will we do?

Played around with the toy helicopter and a macro lens while the batteries were charging back up. Amazing how they can fit all that functionality into that circuit board slightly larger than a postage stamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heli_components-1.jpg (129.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Heli_components-2.jpg (125.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Heli_components-3.jpg (116.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Heli_components-4.jpg (103.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 01-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #13060
Give me a forum ...

Today I figured out next year's budget and did a little rebalancing which was hard since I did not want any more bonds so I went with more cash until I figure out what to do with it . I also undecorated my house and made black bean soup with the leftover ham bone .