Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #13101

Went to the gym with DW. She was "getting OCD" about getting the ice off the driveway, sidewalk, and porch. I'm willing to wait for the end of the week when it'll just melt by itself. The noise of her chipping away at it with the snow shovel was getting bothersome so I thought about getting her a roofing shovel to make it easier for her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roof_shovel.jpg (1.7 KB, 242 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #13102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Finally at the end of a two day shoveling and snow blowing battle. The county road grader came by this afternoon and cleared our street. Now the wind is still picking up and the temperature is dropping further. Time to settle in. - Not exactly, since I have the only 4wd in the family it means going out at 10:30 tonight to give my son a ride home. However, I'm glad to do it if everyone gets home safe.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #13103

I was playing golf and this guy takes out his smartphone, asks one of us to take his picture with background scenery, and sends the picture to his relatives buried in snow. He gets immediate response from his relatives who respond with expletive laden e-mail. The guy is laughing his heart out reading his relatives response.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #13104

Just found out the parties to the jury trial I was scheduled for have settled out of court. I don't have to get up at 7am to get ready. Think I will have a drink to celebrate.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #13105
Recycles dryer sheets

image-965921195.jpg

Won a $1600 jackpot during my retirement celebration trip to Louisiana. Took the winnings in a check to make sure I don't spend it since I have 2 more days here. Linny, sorry about your dog.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:48 AM   #13106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I woke up at 4 AM and decided to stay up. The wind has been howling all night. No snow, unlike the poor folks up near Watertown, NY. That area is predicted to get up to 5 feet of snow over 3 days from a persistent lake effect snow band. Great for the snowmobile tourism industry, but hell for the local folks.
NWS radar image loop of Composite Reflectivity from Montague, NY

Today's plan is to do some mini-stepper exercise, continue cleaning the house, fold some laundry, and then watch some more Law & Order SVU. I did a thorough cleaning of the master bedroom yesterday, all corners and walls and furniture. Next up...the living room and hallway.

Mr B is furiously studying the IRS site for all the latest and greatest (NOT!) changes to tax laws. I have to admire his tenacity when it comes to reading all of that gobbledy-gook.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #13107
Give me a forum ...

So, we found ourselves owners of 2 old iPhone 3GS, courtesy of our children who abandoned these phones for newer, badder, bigger Android phones.

Well, in fact I have been overlooking them for a month now, and on a bit chilly day (of 68F) decided to pull them out and to set them up for our use. I dunno about all the games, or apps and stuff, but I guess the large 32GB memory will be useful for storing and playing MP3.

It irked me that I have to use iTunes to transfer MP3 files from my laptop to the phone, and then have to create an iCloud mail account, just to get my other non-Apple mail account. Yeah, iThis and iThat. The fight for world domination, but then Google and anybody else is doing the same thing. Sigh... Yep, they are reeling me in. iTunes wants my credit card number, just in case. Good thing I managed to cancel and get out of that screen. Lordy!

In looking to transfer contacts from my old dumb Samsung phone to this iPhone, I discovered that the old phone got a built-in GPS. Son of a gun! I have had this phone for 3 years, and never bothered finding out what it could do. Well, the darn thing is turned off most of the time anyway, and I have been using it mostly as a watch. I often forgot my phone number even. Well, I have it only because the incremental cost is only $10 in the family plan, and my wife handles all the phone talking on her own phone when we need to contact anyone anyway. She's my secretary to handle all the chores, while I concentrate on getting money off the market (and BS'ing on this forum). Oops, I digressed...

So, I have these phones up and running, and could check email, play some music. Then, time to turn mine off again to conserve battery power. Compared to old dumb phones that can be on standby for almost a week, these smartphones are power-hungry, aren't they?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #13108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Then, time to turn mine off again to conserve battery power. Compared to old dumb phones that can be on standby for almost a week, these smartphones are power-hungry, aren't they?
Better get a couple of strategically placed chargers ready.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #13109
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Walked with friend to a local saloon for an after lunch wine, was ~50F and still a bit windy.
I'm in Florida until 7 Feb.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:16 PM   #13110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Walked with friend to a local saloon for an after lunch wine, was ~50F and still a bit windy.
Going back north is going to be tough!
Old 01-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #13111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You timed this trip very well, Khan! Sounds like you are enjoying Florida.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #13112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Compared to old dumb phones that can be on standby for almost a week, these smartphones are power-hungry, aren't they?
It helps to just connect your iPhone via USB to your computer every night, so that it can sync with iTunes and recharge. It becomes a habit and to me, is this is less of an issue than I expected it would be.

And yes, having to use iTunes for everything is not my cup of tea, either. Sometimes I feel like Apple owns me (and all my information) rather than the reverse. But, after a while I got used to that, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #13113
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.... week, these smartphones are power-hungry, aren't they?

You can turn data and wifi off in a pinch when you don't need them, and the battery will last much longer and you can still use the phone and text properties. We have done this when we are out and not able to charge a phone that is running out of juice but we need to stay reachable.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:31 AM   #13114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2r View Post
it helps to just connect your iphone via usb to your computer every night, so that it can sync with itunes and recharge. It becomes a habit and to me, is this is less of an issue than i expected it would be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwifeever View Post
you can turn data and wifi off in a pinch when you don't need them, and the battery will last much longer and you can still use the phone and text properties. We have done this when we are out and not able to charge a phone that is running out of juice but we need to stay reachable...
-- . .-. -.-. .. .-.-.- / ... . -. - / ..-. .-. --- -- / .-.. --- .-- / .--. --- .-- . .-. / .. .--. .... --- -. . .-.-.-

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #13115
Confused about dryer sheets

http://www.onlineconversion.com/morse_code.htm

.-.. .-. --- -- / -- -.-- / .. .--. .- -.. / -.. . / .- -.. ....- .... ..-.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #13116
Give me a forum ...

If you switch from a (not dumb, but more technologically discriminating) phone to an iPhone or some other "smart" phone, doesn't your cell phone company automatically switch you to a data plan and add an additional $30 or so to your monthly bill? I spent a couple of years using a Motorola Q which was the smartest phone I could find that didn't automatically kick in the data plan before giving up and going back to a dumb phone. Since I really only use the &^%& thing to make calls or do an occasional text, why pay the overlords all that extra money?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #13117
Moderator Emeritus

If you have a smart phone, the carriers won't let you activate it without agreeing to pay for a data plan. Data plans are how they make high margin profits.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:04 AM   #13118
Give me a forum ...

I never signed up for a data plan. I am playing with this iPhone while it is accessing the internet via my home WiFi.

I have never used the Samsung phone (my son told me it came after this old iPhone) to access the home WiFi. So do not know if the unused built-in GPS app would pull the map off WiFi or not. Hmmm... I am curious now, and may pull the SIM card off to put it back to the old phone to see for myself.

PS. This iPhone is unlocked.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #13119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
If you have a smart phone, the carriers won't let you activate it without agreeing to pay for a data plan. Data plans are how they make high margin profits.
That is too broad a statement. I have DW's smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Exhibit II) on our t-mobile gold status prepaid. She uses all the smart features on wifi, uses it as a standard 'dumb phone' when she is out (calls and texts).

Nice thing is, you can turn on unlimited talk/text/data for $2/day ($3 for 'hi speed' data). So far, we have not even done that once in the past year, but nice to know it is there if you need it.

-ERD50
Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #13120
Give me a forum ...

So, I have already downloaded two apps: Google Map, and Gas Buddy.

Google Map because I saw that you can tell it to cache the map, so that the navigation function can be used off-line. It turned out that while the phone memory of 32GB is huge (my MS Streets and Trips map came from a 4GB DVD), google only lets me select a square of perhaps 20x20 miles to store. While RV'ing, I used a netbook to run MS S&T map with a GPS dongle, with the netbook sitting on the huge dashboard.

Gas Buddy app because it will help me find cheap gas while RV'ing. As it "knows" my current position from the built-in GPS, it can find the nearest and cheap gas station and hands off the location to the GPS map to direct me there. Slick! Of course I will need to have a data plan to use it on the road, but the money saved on refueling the gas guzzler should be enough to pay for the data plan, if I can subscribe on a monthly basis as needed.

PS. We are using ATT right now.

Closed Thread