Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #13121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, I have already downloaded two apps: Google Map, and Gas Buddy.

Google Map because I saw that you can tell it to cache the map, so that the navigation function can be used off-line. ... .
Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong - but when I looked into the apps that allowed you to cache the map, those apps did not provide 'navigation' services w/o a data connection. IOW, yes, you had a map, and the GPS could tell you where you are on the map, but you did not get "Turn right in 100 yards" style instructions, and I don't think you could even plan a route automatically.

From what I could tell, the navigation (turn-by-turn directions) apps get their routes and instructions from a computer in the cloud, they don't do that calculation locally. So you need a data connection for turn-by-turn.

But map/location may serve your needs.

This is what I determined over a year ago when I looked into it. I may have missed something, or maybe things have been updated, but that's my understanding. I would have thought these smart phones had enough brains to do what a ten year old GPS could do, but apparently not (or it is restricted in some other way - licensing?)

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #13122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
That is too broad a statement. I have DW's smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Exhibit II) on our t-mobile gold status prepaid. She uses all the smart features on wifi, uses it as a standard 'dumb phone' when she is out (calls and texts).

Nice thing is, you can turn on unlimited talk/text/data for $2/day ($3 for 'hi speed' data). So far, we have not even done that once in the past year, but nice to know it is there if you need it.

-ERD50
Maybe times have changed since the last time we bought smart phones (AT&T) and activated them. AT&T would not complete a contract unless we had agreed on a paid data plan. That was over two years ago.

No longer have AT&T and have switched to PagePlus. Now I can turn off my data on the Android phone as I have an app, but that doesn't mean I have a smart phone without a paid data plan.

I have not tried to activate a smart phone on PagePlus without data, but I am sure it can be done with the cheaper plans.

I guess I am not positive that it is possible to activate a new smart phone on a major carrier (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) without a data plan. Can someone comment on this?

Old 01-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #13123
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to local health clinic; have tonsillitis.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #13124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
........ I have not tried to activate a smart phone on PagePlus without data, but I am sure it can be done with the cheaper plans.
I have a smart phone on PagePlus on the very basic plan. I can access data, but it is expensive - $1 a megabyte. I don't use the data, but it is nice to have the option in an emergency, and since my balance rolls forward, it is essentially free if I use it.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #13125
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

I guess I am not positive that it is possible to activate a new smart phone on a major carrier (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint) without a data plan. Can someone comment on this?

I can only speak about AT&T. I've been trying to reduce my monthly bill for 2 iPhone 4 phones (currently pay $95/month) and AT&T will not let me drop the data even tho we've only averaged 100MB for the last 6 months. I'm paying $45/month for this data privilege and have now decided to switch to a different cell provider. I will let you know that AT&T did give me $100 no questions asked, but that is not enough to keep me with them.

I should receive a new Sim card from Consumer Cellular tomorrow morning and I'll stick it in DW's phone for testing before I cancel our AT&T account. The CC service will cut our bill down the $40/month + tax for 500 shared minutes, 1000 texts, and 100MB of data. Hope it works out and saves me $600 this year. IDK what took me so long.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #13126
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Went to local health clinic; have tonsillitis.
Sorry to hear about your tonsillitis. Hope you get better soon and don't need surgery right away for it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #13127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sorry to hear about your tonsillitis. Hope you get better soon and don't need surgery right away for it.
Nobody needs surgery right away for tonsillitis; in fact surgery has no place in acute tonsillitis (unless it's diphtheria). Surgery is only indicated when there is recurrent tonsillitis with airway obstruction and sleep apnea.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #13128
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Nobody needs surgery right away for tonsillitis; in fact surgery has no place in acute tonsillitis (unless it's diphtheria). Surgery is only indicated when there is recurrent tonsillitis with airway obstruction and sleep apnea.
Oh.... thanks!

- - - W2R (with tonsils, still! )

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #13129

Took the truck out of the garage for the first time in a week for a grocery run. The unusual thing was the tires were thumping so much because of the recent cold that it took a much longer ride than planned to exercise them and smooth out the flat spots and get everything fully warmed up (including me!).

So a planned ten-mile round trip went to ~40 miles just to give the truck an exercise run.

Retirement is great. That's the only useful thing I did all day.

Oh, that and made a note to go see the Trains of Christmas display at the Hagerstown Railroad Museum before they change it in February. A newspaper article makes it sound worth the trip and $5.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:10 AM   #13130

Yesterday was "get out of the house" day so I went to see "Wolf of Wall St.". I didn't find it all that enjoyable or pleasant.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #13131
Administrator

Today I painted all of the shutters on my house. They were looking pretty ratty, and now that it is getting warmer here and no rain, it seemed like a good time to get out there and get it done!

It's a WHOLE lot more work at 65 than it was in my early 50's. Puff puff, pant pant. But not too much, not enough to inspire over-doing, so it is still a good exercise activity for me. Of course the first step was trimming back the bushes so that they won't touch the new paint. Then I got ready to paint; I wore painting clothes and painting shoes and splashed paint all over myself since I am a lousy painter! But, enough got on the shutters, and none on the brick or windows, so all is well.

I don't have the energy to go out there and snap a photo, but here's an old one from 2002 so that you can see the shutters. They look JUST like that now, same color, too. I keep paint in that color for "shutter painting frenzies" like this one. When I get around to it I will replace my wooden (fake) shutters with more practical ones that don't need painting and can protect under high wind conditions. But at least for now, my house once again looks like a civilized human lives in it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #13132
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice looking home, W2R! I hope to have a one story if I buy another house, I say if because I'm thinking of a condo next. Homeownership is a pain for me...the continuous maintenance part.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #13133
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Nice looking home, W2R! I hope to have a one story if I buy another house, I say if because I'm thinking of a condo next. Homeownership is a pain for me...the continuous maintenance part.
Thank you! I know what you mean - - I keep thinking of a condo too, but I guess I am not ready to move yet. Maybe in a few years. I like my little house right now. I hire someone to do the grass, but I get stuck with other tasks. I have to do shutter painting every 2-3 years, I suppose. The last time was in late 2010, when I had a painter do them because I was having the interior of my house painted. Since he was already there, I asked him to do the shutters and doors, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #13134
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
-- . .-. -.-. .. .-.-.- / ... . -. - / ..-. .-. --- -- / .-.. --- .-- / .--. --- .-- . .-. / .. .--. .... --- -. . .-.-.-
Hope you weren't trying to keep your real identity secret

--... ...--
Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #13135
Recycles dryer sheets

Very nice, W2R. I agree, owning a single family home starts getting to be a real pain as you get older. I used to try to do everything myself, but now, at 65, most work is contracted out.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #13136
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Hope you weren't trying to keep your real identity secret

--... ...--
It took me a considerable time to decipher NW-Bound's Morse code. I can copy code off the radio at up to about 20wpm but seeing it written down complicates the process a great deal for me. First I have to look at the dits and dahs and say them to myself in order to create a sound I can understand (as in "Di da dit", for example). Once I've heard the sound, I then know what letter it is. Making it a little more complicated was the fact that I was having trouble figuring out where the spaces between the letters were in the written code. Then if that wasn't complex enough, something in my head didn't like the fact that the dahs were written at a higher level than the dits - my head expects to see the dahs at the lower level because, well, they're dahs. I know that makes no sense, but it's the way my mind "expects" to see them.

I just tuned to 40 meters and started copying some code. It is so much easier than reading it off a page!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #13137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
It took me a considerable time to decipher NW-Bound's Morse code. I can copy code off the radio at up to about 20wpm but seeing it written down complicates the process a great deal for me...
That's far better than I could do, which is 0wpm.

I used a Web-based code translator, in order to get back at BWE.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #13138
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree completely, Major Tom. I can copy between 15 and 20 wpm depending on the quality of the CW sent. Poor spacing makes me fall way behind. My KX3 is the first rig I have owned that actually decodes the CW and displays it on the screen. I try not to look as it throws me off regular copy. I know some folks use keyboards and computer screen decoders, but I never understood what the point was.

Sorry to the list - just taking ham radio stuff .
Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #13139

A KX3? I'm envious. That's one way in which my K2 is "superior" in that it doesn't distract me in that fashion (as, of course, it doesn't even have a CW decoder.)

That's one way of looking at, I suppose

Di-di-di-di-dah-dee-dah.

Dit dit.

(And my apologies also to everyone else for talking shop.)
Old 01-11-2014, 09:29 PM   #13140

Took my 5 yr old granddaughter ice skating. She had never been ice skating before and it has been many moons since I had been and I was not good then either. I grew up roller skating and enjoy it much more than ice skating. We had fun, but I was so glad to take those skates off at the end. DH would not ice skate, but took pictures. We ate and then went to the play place at the mall. Ended the night by taking her to Sweet Frogs, a yogurt store. Good day and hopefully good memories for our granddaughter! I am tired and realize that I need to start exercising more!