Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #13141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
It took me a considerable time to decipher NW-Bound's Morse code. I can copy code off the radio at up to about 20wpm but seeing it written down complicates the process a great deal for me. First I have to look at the dits and dahs and say them to myself in order to create a sound I can understand (as in "Di da dit", for example). Once I've heard the sound, I then know what letter it is. Making it a little more complicated was the fact that I was having trouble figuring out where the spaces between the letters were in the written code. Then if that wasn't complex enough, something in my head didn't like the fact that the dahs were written at a higher level than the dits - my head expects to see the dahs at the lower level because, well, they're dahs. I know that makes no sense, but it's the way my mind "expects" to see them.

I just tuned to 40 meters and started copying some code. It is so much easier than reading it off a page!
Funny. I was just reading up on some history about the telegraph, and the original designs that Morse used had a pen or pencil hitting a paper tape that was pulled along by a wind up mechanism. So a dash would show up as a longer streak than a dot, and the spaces were seen. But in a short time, the operators learned to 'tune in' to the sound, and could have it decoded by listening before one could read the tape and translate it.

This apparently did not sit well with Mr. Morse, but he couldn't stop them.

-ERD50
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #13142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Funny. I was just reading up on some history about the telegraph, and the original designs that Morse used had a pen or pencil hitting a paper tape that was pulled along by a wind up mechanism. So a dash would show up as a longer streak than a dot, and the spaces were seen. But in a short time, the operators learned to 'tune in' to the sound, and could have it decoded by listening before one could read the tape and translate it.

This apparently did not sit well with Mr. Morse, but he couldn't stop them.

-ERD50
I am so used to hearing the pure tones of CW as a result of the local oscillator in my receiver mixing with the carrier wave of the transmitted signal, that I didn't find it easy to decode the code being sent in that video (if indeed, he even was sending something coherent.) Telegraph operators would have been able to decode by listening to the clickity-clack of their machines. A lesser being such as myself needs to hear dits and dahs in tones, but I do love the mental workout inherent in being able to hear a stream of Morse code and decode it in my head. For proficient high speed ops, they can recognize entire words and beyond that, hear the sounds of high speed code and near-instantly just know what ideas are being communicated without paying attention to the individual words, in the same way that people decode the spoken word in normal conversation. For myself, I recognize the rhythms of common words, such as "the", "that" etc but most words I have to spell out to myself in my head.

"Zen And The Of Radiotelegraphy" is a free publication that talks about Morse code - not just the mechanics and procedure of learning it, but also the psychology behind learning the code. It's a good read and is available for free at Zen and the Art of Radiotelegraphy, IK0YGJ

We should call it Vail Code though, as Alfred Vail was the one who came up with it; Morse's code was much less efficient. Vail (who was working for Morse) came up with the idea of taking the most often-used letters, and giving them the simplest code (such as a single dit for e, and di-dit for i). Z doesn't get used often, so it is represented by da-dah-di-dit.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:52 AM   #13143
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday I made croissants. Used a recipe from Cooks Illustrated magazine, my favorite cooking magazine. They turned out great. I filled about half of them with ham and cheddar cheese, make a nice lunch sandwich if they last that long. I'll freeze a few of them for later as well. Here are a couple of pictures, first one ready for the oven. Second just after they finished.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:50 AM   #13144

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It's a WHOLE lot more work at 65 than it was in my early 50's.
I can see that coming here too. The metal front porch railing is starting to look pretty ratty so in the spring I'll have to wire brush that down, prime and paint. Next is all exterior trim and foundation walls. That looks better than the railing but I don't want to wait until it starts peeling.

A CCRC is starting to look better and better because all that maintenance stuff (and the storage space for the tools, and the tools themselves) go away.

But perhaps I'm a wimp. My paternal grandfather painted the entire exterior of his two-story house at age 70.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #13145
Give me a forum ...

I woke up 4 lbs lighter than I was at year end 2013. I am doing my mini-stepper in my living room and eating more salads, veggies and leaner meats. I always put on a few pounds over the winter so I am getting myself back down a few before 4 turns into 10 turns into 20.

I'm going to put off housecleaning for another day...or 2...or 3...I did the master bedroom and living room from top to bottom and need a break from that. I have to be in the right mood to do the full scale attack.

Light snow is falling here. I may motivate myself and go up to Boonville and watch football with the vets at the VFW. Mr B has a full day of IRS tax code reading to do so he won't be much company. His fave team, NE Patriots won last night, so his interest in today's games is minimal.

I have a bit of cabin fever so getting out of the house will be good for me. Snow forecast is good so no worries there. Driving north to the edge of the Adirondacks can be quite interesting, even with 4WD, so I am vigilant about the weather. I keep a sleeping bag and food/water supplies in the car with me just in case. The area I drive through to get to my destination is sparsely populated, but well patrolled by state police, sheriff, state snow plows and local volunteer fire department folks. It's a bit of an adventure.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #13146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I can see that coming here too. The metal front porch railing is starting to look pretty ratty so in the spring I'll have to wire brush that down, prime and paint. Next is all exterior trim and foundation walls. That looks better than the railing but I don't want to wait until it starts peeling.

A CCRC is starting to look better and better because all that maintenance stuff (and the storage space for the tools, and the tools themselves) go away.

But perhaps I'm a wimp. My paternal grandfather painted the entire exterior of his two-story house at age 70.
Well, some people like your grandfather are like that but I'm not! I still remember seeing an old man several years ago, who was probably in his 90's, mowing his tiny front lawn with a push mower. I was impressed, but I hope to be out from under that sort of task before I get to such an advanced age.

I agree, I am tired of doing maintenance or hiring and overseeing others on an as-needed basis to do maintenance. Any arrangement where that isn't necessary is beginning to have a great appeal to me, including a CCRC or even just a rented apartment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I woke up 4 lbs lighter than I was at year end 2013. I am doing my mini-stepper in my living room and eating more salads, veggies and leaner meats. I always put on a few pounds over the winter so I am getting myself back down a few before 4 turns into 10 turns into 20.
Woo-hoo!!! You GO girl!!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #13147
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

I can not figure out how to post pictures here.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #13148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

I can not figure out how to post pictures here.
Khan, the easy way is to push the little icon (in the posting window) that looks like a paperclip, and just upload the photo from your computer.

Alternately, you can host the photo elsewhere and use the URL with the Insert Image icon in the posting window.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #13149
Gone but not forgotten

Where is this paperclip?
And where is insert icon?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #13150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Where is this paperclip?
When you are typing the post, look just above where you are typing, near the center, for the paperclip.

The Insert Image icon is just below it and two to the right (and is yellow with a mountain).

Old 01-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #13151
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you accessing the site from the web page or app? If you're using the app, there's an arrow in the upper right hand corner. Touch or click that, then touch advanced and touch attach from photo. That's how I attach photos, it took me awhile to figure it out.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:44 PM   #13152
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Khan, the paper clip only shows up on the "post reply" function not on the "post quick reply". If you use the "go advanced" button next to quick reply it will also make the paperclip available.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #13153
Moderator Emeritus

We went to see American Hustle. Pretty darned good, highly recommend.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #13154
Administrator

I second that recommendation. We saw it last weekend and really enjoyed it.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #13155
Gone but not forgotten

1493133_10153067015127925_1958902000_n.jpg

Thanks, got it to work.

I tossed fish scraps to this critter.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #13156
Administrator

Quote:
Attachment 17939

Thanks, got it to work.

Is it some kind of stork?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #13157
Moderator Emeritus

Cool picture, Khan!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #13158
Gone but not forgotten

Yes, stork.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #13159
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Attachment 17939

Thanks, got it to work.

Watch out, he may adopt you!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #13160
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Attachment 17939
Wow, that is really cool! How close did you get to the stork?
Closed Thread