Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #13181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolfy View Post
Went to a small RV expo today. Just sticking a toe in the water to start to learn more about this.
Mostly what you need to know is bring money. Lots of money...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #13182

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One note of caution: the salespeople at RV shows and dealerships are one of the most inaccurate and unreliable sources of RV information available. I suggest you spend lots of time on the two RV forums listed below. The info found on those forums is far more accurate than you'll get from someone who has selling you something as their primary goal.

iRV2 Forums
RV.Net
I second that. A few years ago when looking into getting a travel trailer I learned a lot about the topic from the forums.

Stopped in a dealer to kick the tires and he seemed seriously annoyed when I declined his offer to look at one that, when loaded, would be more than my truck could safely tow.

The empty weight could (barely) have been towed by my 1/2 ton truck.

He scowled off in the distance when I pointed out that "I'm not going to tow it empty. I'm going to tow it full."

They'll try to sell you the most expensive piece of equipment they can. Whether it suits your purpose is irrelevant.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #13183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Mostly what you need to know is bring money. Lots of money...
He said "RV", not "boat"....
Old 01-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #13184
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolfy View Post
Went to a small RV expo today. Just sticking a toe in the water to start to learn more about this.
Just curious: was it a small expo of RVs or an expo of small RVs?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #13185
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, this is my first post on this thread. I'm on day 17 of retirement and so far, I've been fairly active (but not too active), getting little things done. My wife, who is still working, thinks I'll get bored, but I tell her that a boring day of retirement beats a good day of work. One of these days, she's going to slap me.

Shortly, I'll be running to the FedEx office to pick up a package from Amazon. I ordered a handgun safe, hearing and eye protection, as I had ordered two handguns earlier this week from a local dealer. One's a 22 LR and the other is a 9mm. I figure it's something my son and I can do together, going to the gun range every so often. While my wife doesn't like guns, my son tells her they're needed for the coming zombie apocalypse.

My birthday/retirement gift, to be a renewed hobby, has not had much activity, due to weather. We've had nothing but low clouds and mostly rain since I retired, which is not very conducive to photography. I guess that will have to wait for better weather (you can't take that many pictures of the dogs indoors before it gets old).

One thing I do find that I like is weekday shopping. It's amazing how uncrowded stores are during the day. Also, there is no urgency if you do have to wait for help, since you don't necessarily need to be anywhere.

Well, I guess I've procrastinated long enough. It's time I head off to FedEx (only 5 minutes away).
Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #13186
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The guy I am renting a room from is in the hospital with pneumonia this week. He's doing better, but will be there over the weekend. Don't think you folks on the forum have to worry. Although pneumonia is highly contagious, I don't think it is the kind of virus that is spread through the web.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #13187
Moderator Emeritus

Lately my mind has been caught in endless arguments about whether it makes financial sense for us to become owners once again as opposed to renters. Today, I am putting it all on paper. Hopefully it will help me make a decision.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #13188
Give me a forum ...

Got my annual physical today. Looks like I'll be around for a while, God willing and I don't get hit by a bus.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #13189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Yum! How about a recipe in the recipes thread? I'll trade you a wicked tune
Easier to just type it here.

1 crockpot or slow cooker

1.5 lbs "7 bone" chuck steak (for 2 people plus a little left over for sandwiches the next day)
Gravy Master
salt and pepper
1 large Russett potato
1 cup frozen carrots (if using fresh, steam them separately)

Thaw chuck steak. Sprinkle both sides with salt and fresh ground pepper and set aside on a flat plate.
Peel potato, and cut into 1.5 inch chunks. Layer bottom of crockpot with potatoes.
Place steak on top of potatoes.
Using a spoon, pour a little Gravy Master over the top of the chuck steak. Spread in a thin layer over entire top surface with back of spoon.
Add just enough water to cover bottom of crockpot (approx. 1/4 cup).
Cook at HIGH setting for 1 hour.
Cook at MEDIUM setting for 3-4 hours.
Remove carrots from freezer and defrost in microwave, using some of the gravy spooned over them for flavor.
Remove chuck steak and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice thinly.
Place the natural gravy in a small dipping bowl, 1 per person.
Place meat, carrots and potatoes on a dinner plate, add dipping bowl of gravy. Enjoy!

I like to place pieces of the meat in the dipping cup and let them soak up the juices for a minute or two.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #13190
Give me a forum ...

Today...hmmmmm....
I put the garbage and recyclables out to the curb.
I watched it snow a few inches. I used a rubber floor squeegee to push the snow off the front steps and the areas where we get out of the cars in the driveway.
I trimmed the leaves and roots off some mung beans I sprouted. Now that I've had fresh sprouts, I cannot stand the taste of the canned ones.
I revamped a dinner menu for a local Polish ethnic club for Mr B. Prices needed to be increased and the layout improved. I had a hardcopy sample and reproduced it from scratch in Word. Mr B kibbitzed as I did the text entry and layout. I told him to tell the club treasurer that my fee for re-doing the menu was a free fish fry to go.
I'm listening to soft rock music on cable while Mr B brings the revamped menu down to the club. I'll need a snack to tide me over until my fish fry to go arrives home with him.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 PM   #13191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Easier to just type it here.

Oooh, thanks! I was trying to think of something "Yankee" and decided on this. It's "The Story of Reuben Clamzo and His Strange Daughter In The Key Of A".

http://youtu.be/uo9TxeqeDCE

Old 01-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #13192
Give me a forum ...

Grrrr... another "embedding disabled" video. Just search for "Reuben Clamzo" on YouTube...

Old 01-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #13193
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
One thing I do find that I like is weekday shopping. It's amazing how uncrowded stores are during the day. Also, there is no urgency if you do have to wait for help, since you don't necessarily need to be anywhere).
I woke up this morning and thought, OMG, I'm NOT on vacation....I'm retired......now what? I retired Jan 3 and I'm still adjusting, it's only been 2 weeks. I so agree with you akck about weekday shopping, yesterday Whole Foods, today HEB (Texas store). I try to go out once a day for some type of errand and human contact. Sunday is my stay in day. Tonight I'm making lamb chops as seen on one of the foodie shows.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #13194

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I figure it's something my son and I can do together, going to the gun range every so often. While my wife doesn't like guns, my son tells her they're needed for the coming zombie apocalypse.
Sounds like fun. Shooting at the range I mean, not at zombies. But hey, whatever rationalization justification works.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #13195
Give me a forum ...

Frustrating day! I had planned to attend a social event, only to find that my car wouldn't start. Battery was dead. I obviously haven't been giving it enough exercise. Fortunately my comprehensive rescue plan meant that help arrived with jumper cables within 40 minutes at no cost to me. Also fortunate that the car was at home. I skipped the remainder of the social event and went for a long drive down the lakeshore and back. Battery is well and truly recharged now. I need to do more road trips!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #13196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Frustrating day! I had planned to attend a social event, only to find that my car wouldn't start. Battery was dead. I obviously haven't been giving it enough exercise. Fortunately my comprehensive rescue plan meant that help arrived with jumper cables within 40 minutes at no cost to me. Also fortunate that the car was at home. I skipped the remainder of the social event and went for a long drive down the lakeshore and back. Battery is well and truly recharged now. I need to do more road trips!
I have one of these that I use for cars that sit. You just plug the connector into a cigarette lighter socket that is hot when the key is off. It will not overcharge the battery.

Schumacher SC-200A Speedcharge 2/4 Amp Charger/Maintainer : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 01-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #13197
Give me a forum ...

I have one of these that I bought from HarborFreight on sale for $4.99 I think.

Automatic Battery Charger - 12V

And talk about cars, I just found out that the 6 Michelin tires I bought for my class C motorhome are getting recalled. That's $1400 worth of new tires that Michelin will give me free, after I already use them for almost 3 years! They are recalling 1.3 million tires.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
what did you do today?
Old 01-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #13198
Moderator Emeritus

what did you do today?

What did I do today? I placed four orders on Amazon, two of them multi-item orders too. Oh well. Cleared out that "wish list" bookmark folder in MSIE pretty well. Looks like I may have dug a little into my February money so I need to quit doing this for a while.

Later on I had lunch with Frank and we spent the afternoon together, always the highlight of my day.

But life is not all fun. I also turned the house upside in order to locate my divorce decree, which I will need when applying for half of his SS next summer. That was kind of unpleasant and brought back some awful memories, naturally. Eventually I found it (where it belonged, who woulda thought? ). All that Amazon shopping therapy is helping me to forget this somewhat more distasteful part of the day.

Now, I plan to relax in my easy chair, play my favorite video game, drink lots and lots of warm herb tea, and relax.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #13199

Cashed out our grocery store points for 30¢/gallon off on gasoline and filled four 5-gallon plastic cans plus filling up the truck. Keep the cans in the shed and will fill the car as needed until it's gone.

Gym with DW. Why is it so easy some days and others my body is saying "Keep this up buddy and you're doing to drop dead any second"? No discernible pattern to diet or anything else that I can tell.

Another fruitless search for the GPS that DW misplaced in the house. We used it a few days ago, DW carried it into the house from the car and apparently it vanished into thin air. What's more irritating than possibly having to replace it is the prospect of all that data entry. Oh well, I'm retired so nothing better to do, especially in winter.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #13200
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What did I do today? I placed four orders on Amazon...
I did the same, raking in the points on my Amazon credit card! I didn't order anything exciting though, just a bunch of pet stuff and other household items that were on sale.
Closed Thread