Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #13221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What a day!

Just got back from Weight Watchers and the gym, only to find that the ironwork fence to my back yard was open. Hmm! How could this be? It is never open! As I walked back, I noticed that a window to my kitchen was also open (and broken), the door from the backyard to the den was open, and the door from the backyard to my bedroom was open.

At that point, I yelled out, "Is anybody here?". No answer. I got cold feet and was afraid to go inside; I went to get a neighbor.

The neighbor called law enforcement. They were very nice. The first one to get there checked out the house and determined that nobody was inside. We walked through the house, and I noticed that most of my drawers were open, and my change jar had apparently been dropped by the front door.

Nothing else seems to have been touched. The old bottle of hydrocodone was still in my medicine cabinet, so I guess they weren't looking for drugs. My laptop, iPad, and video game consoles were not touched. I haven't noticed anything missing at all, yet.

He called the Crime Scene Unit or whatever it is called, and they came out and took fingerprints. They told me that either someone scared them off, or else maybe they were just checking the place out for now and planned to come back later to take stuff.

My dear companion F is with me now, and plans to stay here with me for a few days just to play it safe.

How scary, I'm glad you did not encounter the person(s) that broke in to your home. It really does feel like a violation and I've been this victim before. Perhaps it's time to stimulate the economy a little more and look into an alarm and security monitoring system. It's nice your friend Frank will spend some time with you. Take care and beef up your security.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #13222

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Kudos to you for not going in your house. It could have been very dangerous.
+1

You showed good sense not going in until the house had been checked. Such encounters often do not end well.

Sorry to hear about that happening but the good part is you are not injured and nothing more than property damage.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #13223

Glad there was no serious damage. I hate to say this, but ...

You recently posted a photo (not recent, but still ...) of your house.

You have, over time, given out information about your regular trips to the gym.

The internet is still something of a "Wild West" environment, where watchers are both legion and invisible.

Of course, this could also all be pure coincidence, but I would encourage everyone to be safe and avoid any kind of posting that could compromise their personal security.

Just as a "for instance," I sometimes cringe at the information people put on the thread titled "Anyone got any travel planned?"
Old 01-21-2014, 02:35 PM   #13224

DW was out shoveling snow again and I felt horrible sitting inside in the nice warm house, looking out the window, taking pictures of her working so hard at it.

So I closed the curtains.

No, really, I did gear up for the snow and use the snow thrower to get the rest of it. DW took those pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snow_2014-1.jpg (84.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Snow_2014-2.jpg (52.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Snow_2014-3.jpg (110.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Snow_2014-4.jpg (84.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #13225
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R, very sorry to hear about your experience, it's good that you have someone to be with you for a few days. I hope this is the end of it and maybe it was just some wayward kids.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:35 PM   #13226
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My wife's friend just told her via email that her house got broken into this morning, while she was till in bed. The burglar got her purse, then fled.

Not many details given but she said he entered through a bathroom window.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #13227

W2R, so sorry to hear of this invasion into your home. I second the suggestion of getting a security system and maybe have a security expert look over your home for weak spots, too. I have to admit, if someone broke into my place I would be a basket case. Glad Frank is with you.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #13228
Give me a forum ...

What an upsetting experience, W2R! It can and does happen anywhere. We are all thankful that you are safe. Please get an alarm system installed. When I lived in a house I got one within a month of moving in. I know it saved me from at least one burglary, because the thieves saw the signs and went next door (their footprints were clearly visible in the snow). You might want to vary your trips to lunch the gym as well. The thieves may have been casing the neighborhood for some time and looking for predictable absences.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #13229
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What a day!

Just got back from Weight Watchers and the gym, only to find that the ironwork fence to my back yard was open. Hmm! How could this be? It is never open! As I walked back, I noticed that a window to my kitchen was also open (and broken), the door from the backyard to the den was open, and the door from the backyard to my bedroom was open.

At that point, I yelled out, "Is anybody here?". No answer. I got cold feet and was afraid to go inside; I went to get a neighbor.

The neighbor called law enforcement. They were very nice. The first one to get there checked out the house and determined that nobody was inside. We walked through the house, and I noticed that most of my drawers were open, and my change jar had apparently been dropped by the front door.

Nothing else seems to have been touched. The old bottle of hydrocodone was still in my medicine cabinet, so I guess they weren't looking for drugs. My laptop, iPad, and video game consoles were not touched. I haven't noticed anything missing at all, yet.

He called the Crime Scene Unit or whatever it is called, and they came out and took fingerprints. They told me that either someone scared them off, or else maybe they were just checking the place out for now and planned to come back later to take stuff.

My dear companion F is with me now, and plans to stay here with me for a few days just to play it safe.

Change all your passwords.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:36 PM   #13230
Gone but not forgotten

This morning we went in search of bread. We found a German bakery with serious bread (the kind that can be used as a weapon) and some liverwurst and bratwurst. Now if we can just find some headcheese...
Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #13231
Give me a forum ...

I have had a craving for headcheese. It used to be sold in grocery stores around here, but suddenly it disappeared. It is even hard to find pâté. What's going on?

PS. I may have to go to AJ Fine Foods, a high-end grocery store here, and pay a premium price for it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #13232
Give me a forum ...

I shoveled snow....I hate snow!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #13233
Administrator

I just got in from shoveling, or rather snow removal. Recently, I saw a televised football game where it was snowing heavily and they used leaf blowers to blow the white lines on the field clear of snow. Since it is very cold tonight, the snow is light and fluffy. So I thought it would be a good time to try out the leaf blower on my driveway and walks. It worked like a charm.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #13234

Sorry to hear about this happening to you W2R. Our house was broken into in the early 80's while we were at work. We were living in PA at that time and you definitely feel violated. Nothing since that time. I never put on Facebook when we are traveling.

I also shoveled 3 driveways today. I shoveled mine and two neighbors. My DH used the snowblower on his long driveway. It is great exercise for me and it was like a winter wonderland. I don't mind shoveling when I don't have to work. We also went for a walk in the snow. Tomorrow I work and I have no desire to deal with the snow in a car. My DH volunteered to drive me and I will probably take him up on the offer. So glad that work is 3 miles away.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #13235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
It's great exercise for me and the results speak for themselves.
Useless without pics...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #13236
Full time employment: Posting here.

Today, I'm nursing my left knee. Yesterday, I went hiking with the dogs. On one part of the trail, I think a little stream developed down the trail, melting the snow above. I thought I was over far enough, but my right foot went through and as I went down, my left knee locked up and took the brunt of the fall. Actually, both knees are swollen but the left is a bit more.

Over the weekend, I did go shooting with my son and found out he was a much better shot than me. At first, I thought it might be my new gun, but he was able to shoot a nice pattern with it. I also went shooting yesterday before the hike and was much better at hitting the targets.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #13237
Gone but not forgotten

Walked to local saloon for lunch (3 mile round trip). Friend smoked sheepshead fillets for tomorrow's lunch.
Will not want to back to Ohio in February.
Can't get married without divorce documentation.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #13238
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Walked to local saloon for lunch (3 mile round trip). Friend smoked sheepshead fillets for tomorrow's lunch.
Will not want to back to Ohio in February.
Can't get married without divorce documentation.

No but you can live together without any documentation ! It seems to be going great so the next step may be to live together for awhile( six months or more ) before marriage .
Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #13239
Recycles dryer sheets

Today was the one year anniversary of my mother's death and the 6 year anniversary of my eldest brother's death. One of my other brothers and I went to the coast - Half Moon Bay - to have a drink in their honor.

The coast area is preparing for the Mavericks surfing competition tomorrow so it was exciting to be out there.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #13240
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear about the break in W2R. Glad to hear you are safe.

Linny727 - that sounds like a nice way to remember your departed relatives. The waves must have been spectacular.

Today we took the dog for a walk, went out for Chinese food for lunch and then walked to the grocery store and post office. Nothing amazing except we are still enjoying being able to do that together on a week day.
Closed Thread