Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #13261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I would but that's a bit of a trip from WV. With the right group of people that could turn out to be a very entertaining evening.
You rang?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #13262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Windchill is -35 so I am staying in today. Started a crock pot full of cabbage rolls this morning and have been housecleaning since then. Should be finished with the cleaning in about an hour then get myself cleaned up for cabbage rolls.

I need to quit putting off the cleaning until I can't stand it any more. It takes too long to catch up.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:30 PM   #13263
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I need to quit putting off the cleaning until I can't stand it any more. It takes too long to catch up.
Ah, another procrastinator! I put off housecleaning too, until I invite people over, and I have the same problem with filing, laundry, ironing, ………until I run out of underwear and socks!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #13264

Back from spending a week of winter refresher of cold weather survival skills camping. Solar electric and heat by woodstove, all the luxuries of life.
The falls a few miles away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Waterfall 002.jpg (845.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 AM   #13265
Full time employment: Posting here.

Busy day yesterday. After taking care of the animals, made a run to the store for groceries. Then spent a few hours in the workshop setting up a dust collector for my woodworking tools. I mounted the collector on the wall almost a year ago and then other projects took me away from it. The ducting for all the tools was hard for me to get sorted out so I was a bit frustrated- funny thing, yesterday I started working on the piping and in 3 hours, got more done that I had in 2 previous days?

After that, since it was a nice, cool, 10 degrees, decided a glass of wine in the hot tub before dinner would work. Had a nice chicken and rice dish and saw we had a break in the clouds outside and the stars looked great.

Quickly set up the scope and video camera and was able to take this shot of M82, the Cigar Galaxy. The lightning bolt points to a bright supernova that only appeared a few weeks ago although the estimate I saw said the actual event was over 11 million years ago? Will want to check that but this is the first supernova I've seen.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 AM   #13266

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Busy day yesterday. After taking care of the animals, made a run to the store for groceries. Then spent a few hours in the workshop setting up a dust collector for my woodworking tools. I mounted the collector on the wall almost a year ago and then other projects took me away from it. The ducting for all the tools was hard for me to get sorted out so I was a bit frustrated- funny thing, yesterday I started working on the piping and in 3 hours, got more done that I had in 2 previous days?

After that, since it was a nice, cool, 10 degrees, decided a glass of wine in the hot tub before dinner would work. Had a nice chicken and rice dish and saw we had a break in the clouds outside and the stars looked great.

Quickly set up the scope and video camera and was able to take this shot of M82, the Cigar Galaxy. The lightning bolt points to a bright supernova that only appeared a few weeks ago although the estimate I saw said the actual event was over 11 million years ago? Will want to check that but this is the first supernova I've seen.
Hi davemartin88, You are pretty much living my dream retirement. I'm building a cabin/home with a good size wood shop this summer. When that is complete I want to add a backyard observatory with a roll-off roof. The wood shop and dark sky are calling me!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #13267
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the great pictures Davemartin. Lots of nice ones on your site. And I've never seen a deck top miniature observatory before. That's a very interesting idea, though I'm sure the cost of the telescope was a lot more than the shelter for it. Too many trees and too much light around here anyway. But I do love a starry, starry night .
Old 01-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #13268
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the nice comments. Hermit, sure you already know this but having an observatory really makes a big difference in how often I observe. With everything nearly ready to go, from the time I decide to observe to having the camera up and running in the living room attached to the telescope is about 5 minutes. Cables are always there and the camera stays in the scope all the time. Scope is in "hibernate" mode so alignment is usually pretty close for GOTO's.

As I've gotten older, my eyesight made it very hard to observe visually, even in dark skies. Getting in to video astronomy opens it all back up, my eyepieces are almost never used anymore. If the clouds roll in, 5 minutes to shut it all down so it's not unusual to use the scope even if I only want to spend an hour or so.

Beowulf, yes, the toys are expensive but you make your choices, lol. I really like having the small dome close to the house on the deck- I can reach about 270 degrees of sky, I'm blocked to the NE but worth it to me for the convenience.

Good luck with your plans! Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #13269
Give me a forum ...

I went out and started the motorhome to take it for a spin to exercise it. Found out that the engine battery was dead, despite my adding a circuit to trickle charge it from the house batteries. The latter's charge is maintained by a big solar panel on the roof.

After spending $80 at Costco for a new battery, the motorhome started right up despite my neglect for the last 4 months. Been debating whether I should wait until travel season to claim the Michelin tire recall. I would get 6 new tires to replace the ones that were bought 3 years and 20K miles ago. The existing ones still look really good, but to get new tires for free, how does one refuse that?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Been debating whether I should wait until travel season to claim the Michelin tire recall. I would get 6 new tires to replace the ones that were bought 3 years and 20K miles ago.
I'd do it now. With my luck they'd change their minds later. And it's probably easier to get done out of season.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #13271
Give me a forum ...

The recall was issued just last month. I do not think Michelin would change its mind. There are 1.3 million tires affected, and the recall process cannot be done in that short a time.

Well, it may be true that when summer starts, there might be a wait to get service.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #13272
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Been debating whether I should wait until travel season to claim the Michelin tire recall. I would get 6 new tires to replace the ones that were replaced 3 years and 20K miles ago. The existing ones still look really good, but to get new tires for free, how does one refuse that?
Michelin did a recall in the summer of 2012 on the BFGoodrich tires (Michelin owns BFGoodrich) on my trailer. They were under two years old and had less than 10K miles but we were about to leave for a 6 week trip when the recall was announced so I wanted them replaced quickly.

There were no BFG replacement tires available at the time so Michelin authorized my dealer to give me five (four on the ground + the spare) new Michelin tires - the same Michelin tires now being recalled. Well, almost. The recalled tires are, as you know, LTX M/S, size LT225/75R16 while mine are LT235/75R16. When I first saw the recall announcement I thought I may never have to pay for trailer tires again, but not so.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 01-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #13273
Give me a forum ...

Michelin sent me the recall notice in the mail. I went out to verify the tire manufacturing code and date matching what they described. Yes, they are LTX M/S LT225/75R16.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #13274
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Looked at the weather reports from Ohio.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #13275
Recycles dryer sheets

My Tough Day

Had a brutal day:

Woke up, went to the gym, had a swim, sat in the sauna...
Went home, ate breakfast, worked on updating household financial info...
Spoke with mom, went shopping, came home and had lunch...
Watched some TV, chatted with my sister, watched some more TV...
Spoke with a former co-worker complaining about challenges at "their" job.

Then I relaxed the rest of the day!

Damn, ER is tough....but somebody's got to do it! I'm honored to "take one for the team" on this one!!! 28 days and counting and...Loving It!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:03 AM   #13276

Went to lunch at Panera and ran into an old acquaintance who is about my age (57). He was taking his mother to lunch and sat in the booth next to me. I overheard him asking his mother for $2,000 he needs for some emergency. I spent the day thankful for all my blessings.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #13277
Recycles dryer sheets

image-2498604981.jpg

Stayed in yesterday even though there was only a little rain where I was. Balanced check book, transferred money, baked zuchnni bread & watched TV. Today I'm watching the hot mess unfold in ATL, my heart goes out to those stuck in traffic. Reminds me of Houston-2005 hurricane Rita traffic gridlock/chaos.

image-2813414770.jpg
Old 01-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #13278

I turned the ringer off on my phone today. Verizon says I'm out of minutes. I was on the phone a lot trying (unsuccessfully) to move money to PenFed. I guess Verizon includes toll-free numbers in minutes used. I can't tell for sure, which calls count seems to be a secret.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #13279
Give me a forum ...

I am just feeling my way along in the ER/ESR lifestyle, but what I did today was get something I wrote published on Seeking Alpha: Underperforming Olin Corporation Needs To Be Acquired - Seeking Alpha Not sure how much effort I will put into doing this, as it remains to be seen whether it is worth the pay and I don't plan on making a full time thing of it, but getting to do some of the fun pats of my job without the BS is nice.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-31-2014, 02:05 PM   #13280
Give me a forum ...

Decided today I may look into getting some suspenders.

I'm too fat for my slim pants and too slim for my fat pants. My pants keep falling down when I exercise.

I exercise at home so no one has been blinded by my mishaps.