Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #1321
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Spent last night in the hospital with my aunt, but she did get to go home today. She had a virus of some kind and couldn't eat or breathe worth a crap. Been an interesting week. Sure hope she bounces back, pretty shaky right now. At 97, she can't take much.

Was suppose to be in the air headed to Cancun for nephew's wedding. Oh well, maybe I can get golf back on the menu next week. Where are my med's?
Your aunt is lucky to have you.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #1322
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Small craft advisory, waves 3-6 feet on the SE shores of Lake Ontario.
You guys are wimps,we call 3-6 foot waves here SWELLS.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 04-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #1323
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Sorry Dawg ,At 97 they are so fragile !
Physically, yes. However,my grandmother at 97 was a force to be reckoned with. She would give you the "look", and even my 65 year old uncle would cringe.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 04-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #1324
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Saw the first bumblebee of spring.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #1325
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Your aunt is lucky to have you.
Wow, give me a hug. Actually, I'm the lucky one. I grew up next door to her so she is like a second mother to me. She has always been very generous, helping me out in college, nice gifts here and there and just always being there like a mom. I haven't heard her say a bad thing about anyone. She deserves all I can give and more.

Enough of the mushy stuff, time to slip off to the golf course for a quick nine.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #1326
Give me a forum ...

Volunteered at the food bank for 3 hours. I allowed myself to substitute weight lifting (food) for my exercise bike.
We filled over 130 orders of 13 items each. My job is to open the bulk boxes and put the items up on the long tables for the order fillers. Picture an assembly line, with fillers walking along a row of long tables, picking 1 each of 13 items and boxing/bagging them to make a complete order. I'm very TIRED but feel really good about helping out.
And I love the price of $15.50 for 13 food items. They sell me cheap food, I contribute labor. Everyone smiles.

I finally remembered to get some WallyWorld pizza crust mix. I do believe it is dh2b's turn to cook once Friday PM arrives.
Goofing off for the eve.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #1327
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You guys are wimps,we call 3-6 foot waves here SWELLS.......
Unless they are spaced very close together. Look out!
National Weather Service issued the small craft advisory. My guess is the waves were higher and closely spaced. I don't live close enough to check on Ontario. If I did, I would be right in the worst snow belt, the 200" annual average zone up near Oswego.
No TY.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #1328
Give me a forum ...

Woke up around 9:30 a.m., but stretched and lounged in bed for another half hour. Got up, made a glass of tea and sat on the patio. After I finished my tea, I took a long hot shower. Watched tv for a while, replied to some emails and PMs, got dressed and went to the grocery store. Among other items, I purchased a $50 leg of lamb for $21.

After putting everything away, I prepared the lamb for roasting, mixed a little JD with my Diet Coke and sat on the patio contemplating whatever drifted through my mind.

As of this moment, the roast is almost done....mmm, hmmmm.......it smells wonderful.......
Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #1329
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went in to the Humane Society today to transport Jake, a young lab mix to FurryTail Farm on Bainbridge Island. Great day for a drive and a ferry ride.

Got to watch as Jake was introduced to 20 other dogs, one by one. Had a great salad at the Island Grill for lunch, then back on the ferry to Seattle.

-- Rita
Old 04-25-2009, 01:05 AM   #1330
Give me a forum ...

I walked down to Trader Joes, came back and fixed lunch. Later I walked down to Broadway and returned some library books. This evening I did grocery shopping for a friend who is stove up from an auto crash. Hung out and had a drink with her before driving home tonight.

Ha
Old 04-25-2009, 06:38 AM   #1331
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
stove up
Never heard that expression before.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 04-25-2009, 06:48 AM   #1332
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You need to get out more...

Urban Dictionary: stove up
Old 04-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #1333
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This evening I did grocery shopping for a friend who is stove up from an auto crash. Hung out and had a drink with her before driving home tonight.

Ha
Putty in your hands.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #1334
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
I recall hearing it as a child.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #1335
Give me a forum ...

I had a day OFF!!! And the sun shone too!

Picked up where I left of two weeks ago with the New Car Research. Test drove both versions of the Honda Insight, which was released here in Canada on Earth Day (Wednesday). I like it. Different experience to the Prius, which starts in total silence when you press the Start button. The Insight behaves like a regular vehicle; you hear the engine hum right away. The interior finish is nicer than the Prius, but the car is smaller. The base version is nicely turned out with power windows, A/C, etc and the souped up version involves a significantly higher price for a bunch of consumer electronics: GPS, USB port, bluetooth, voice commands....nice, but not essential. Eco-chic is comparable to Prius. Both vehicles have a spoiler that splits the view through the rear view window and takes some adapting to. Apparently it's essential to the aerodynamics.

Also test drove the Civic DXG, which is significantly more affordable and has more zip. Quite like my 14 year old Accord, in fact. Also, it's made here in Canada. I would be stimulating the economy.....

Methinks the interior finish on Honda is just a little bit nicer than on Toyota......

Hmmm......
Old 04-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #1336
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I had a day OFF!!! And the sun shone too!

Picked up where I left of two weeks ago with the New Car Research. Test drove both versions of the Honda Insight, which was released here in Canada on Earth Day (Wednesday). I like it. Different experience to the Prius, which starts in total silence when you press the Start button. The Insight behaves like a regular vehicle; you hear the engine hum right away. The interior finish is nicer than the Prius, but the car is smaller. The base version is nicely turned out with power windows, A/C, etc and the souped up version involves a significantly higher price for a bunch of consumer electronics: GPS, USB port, bluetooth, voice commands....nice, but not essential. Eco-chic is comparable to Prius. Both vehicles have a spoiler that splits the view through the rear view window and takes some adapting to. Apparently it's essential to the aerodynamics.

Also test drove the Civic DXG, which is significantly more affordable and has more zip. Quite like my 14 year old Accord, in fact. Also, it's made here in Canada. I would be stimulating the economy.....

Methinks the interior finish on Honda is just a little bit nicer than on Toyota......

Hmmm......

Thanks for the preview ! I'm going to start car shopping when I return from NYC and I'm interested in the Insight but I also like the Honda Civic & the Camry .
Old 04-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #1337
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Thanks for the preview ! I'm going to start car shopping when I return from NYC and I'm interested in the Insight but I also like the Honda Civic & the Camry .
Honda is a great brand. They are very well designed and well built. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices. You might also consider the Accord, which is beautiful, but has grown significantly since my 1995 version and is now too much car for me. There's also a Camry hybrid. In Canada, where drivers prefer smaller cars than in the US, midsize cars are a lagging segment and there are some good deals there. As to the choice between hybrid and conventional engine, your driving patterns matter. If you rack up a lot of kilometers (sorry, miles) a hybrid will save you a bundle on operating costs. That's why you see so many Prius taxis! If you mainly commute, the operating costs will not be materially different. The Civic passes California emissions criteria. OTOH, I've driven a Prius and visits to the gas station were delightfully cheap.

Moe, please post your research results when you return from NYC!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #1338
Give me a forum ...

Today was a "list" day...here goes...tiller carburetor replacement, flower garden cleanup, Taco Bell, junkyard, auto parts store, flower seed planting, flower box staining, trunk and glove compartment latch fixing, wango tango, relaxing, attack of intruder ants in the kitchen, ant killer spraying of foundation, chicken legs and rice, relaxing in the recliner and surfing.
2 very tired puppies here...need to go "kennel up".
Old 04-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #1339
Give me a forum ...

Played golf today for the first time in a week. Beautiful day too. And my aunt does seem to be getting closer to her old self. Hopefully tomorrow will be another good day.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #1340
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got out of the ocean here on the New Jersey coast, it was a numbing experience, but it may be the earliest I have been in. Water is about 50 F, but we have a mini heatwave the air is about 80F. The rest of the weekend I painted the deck and did other stuff to get the house ready for the summer rental season.
Too bad we have to go back to Pa in a couple hours,whoops forgot I am ER'ed
so really don't have to go back.
Old Mike
Closed Thread