Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #13421
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Attachment 18249

I have $105 left in my food/pocket money allotment until March 1.....life is good!
Maybe time to buy some duct tape?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #13422
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Okay, this is a new one for me.
......The VA grave site marker is in and can we pick it up? Oh, and you might want to bring a truck since it is a granite slab and weighs about 200 lbs. Uh, okay.
Turns out that DW, her sister and brother at one of the planning meetings with the funeral home had learned that FIL was eligible for this marker, having served in the Navy during WWII......

So now I have a ~200 lb grave site marker in the back of my pickup truck that we may not be able to use as intended. What does one do with that? Plant it in the garden? That would look um, awkward. It probably wouldn't do much for the house resale value either.
Sigh.
My aunt did the same thing, ordered a VA marker and there was already a marker on the gravesite. She turned the marker so the engraving was face down and used it for a stepping stone in her garden. Looks like a piece of granite.
With all the snow you've had, keeping it in the back of your truck may help with traction. Although it's not going to help your gas mileage.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #13423
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post

Maybe time to buy some duct tape?
LOL, I thought about that when in Walmart buying the toilet seat....which turned out to be the wrong size. Back to Walmart during the week. Since retired I don't do any shopping on the weekend unless it's absolutely necessary. BTW, I didn't realize duct tape came in different colors!
Old 02-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #13424
Recycles dryer sheets

Well today I did the following before noon, made coffee for us, washed laundry and put it away, washed dishes and put away, cooked breakfast for myself and DW, took the dogs to the dog park for exercise for both them and me, picked up around the house, fixed DW computer, and gave dogs bathes. Now to start the second half of the day. Still have not figured out the whole bored thing yet, maybe later.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #13425
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
Well today I did the following before noon, made coffee for us, washed laundry and put it away, washed dishes and put away, cooked breakfast for myself and DW, took the dogs to the dog park for exercise for both them and me, picked up around the house, fixed DW computer, and gave dogs bathes. Now to start the second half of the day. Still have not figured out the whole bored thing yet, maybe later.
You are an excellent DH! DW is lucky to have you.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:22 PM   #13426

The ladies at work wanted a standalone cabinet for their restroom. Finally finished it today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02232014 cabinet5.jpg (352.3 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #13427

Scooped dog poop
Old 02-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #13428
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Watched Olympic men's hockey final. Made breakfast. In that order.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #13429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The ladies at work wanted a standalone cabinet for their restroom. Finally finished it today.
Looks really nice. What type of wood is it?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #13430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Looks really nice. What type of wood is it?
Thanks - the frame and top are cherry and the panels (sides and door) are cherry faced mdf
Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #13431
Moderator Emeritus

Hand dug a 50' trench 12" deep in our back yard to run a gas line for our new Weber grill. It was 80 F today and I got a workout!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:46 PM   #13432

We went to church and brought our granddaughter home with us. Fixed a big Sunday dinner and had both of our children's families over to eat. We are going to start having the Sunday dinners that I remember from my youth once per month. My children are 10 1/2 yrs apart and are not close at all. I am hoping Sunday dinners will change this and they will get closer. We had a really nice time.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #13433
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
We went to church and brought our granddaughter home with us. Fixed a big Sunday dinner and had both of our children's families over to eat. We are going to start having the Sunday dinners that I remember from my youth once per month. My children are 10 1/2 yrs apart and are not close at all. I am hoping Sunday dinners will change this and they will get closer. We had a really nice time.
What a nice tradition to re-establish.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #13434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Dreamer, The Sunday dinner is a nice thought but if your children are like my side of the family we only seem to all get together a few times a year. Everyone's busy running here and there. On my husband's side, we get together 3 times a year. My husband and his brother are 13 years apart. The age was a big divider and they had nothing in common. My husband is a worker and has different hobbies. His brother doesn't do much more than sit and watch TV or go to his parents and complain he has no money.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #13435
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Absolutely beautiful! You're quite skilled, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #13436

what did you do today?

Very nice woodworking, Ronstar.

We just spent a few nights checking out the primitive campsites in Hoosier NF. Made Jiffy Pop popcorn over the campfire! Lol. 12 degrees one night kept the propane furnace going...

Going out today to pick up a replacement cell for my old QB2 battery pack, so I can use my Mecablitz 45CT4 flash. Been awhile. Need to also get a Wein Safety hotshoe, so I can use the old flash with my DSLR so it doesn't fry the circuits.

Oh yeah - gotta go grocery shopping, too.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #13437
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Ran some errands ahead of next "wintry mix".
Old 02-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #13438

Took a long walk on the beach, in spite of heavy winds and rain. I was the only one. Go figure.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:02 AM   #13439

Yesterday, made up a cable to allow me to control the movement of my telescope outside in the dome from inside. Now with the camera in use, I can view and move the scope without having to go outside other than to move the dome opening as needed. This will come in handy when I want to make a small adjustment to the FOV to center an object or to move to another object close by. Cable is a bit makeshift but if it works out as planned, will make a better version. Was using a new software for control and had some issues but contacted the developer and we had several back and forth sessions with debug tools to get him what he needed to sort it out. I was using a camera/scope mount that he didn't have a lot of experience with but got it working. The software also has a function where you take an image with your scope camera, it then compares the star locations to the known universe to give the the exact location where you're pointed, called "plate solving" and technique has been around a long time but this is integrated in to the same program used to control the scope and to take the images. Now that the camera and scope mount is working, will have to give this a try. I'm thinking it might be useful to confirm you are pointed at a really dim object before you start a long term exposure only to find out you weren't in the right place. Of course, this will depend on how easy it is to work with.

Finished my taxes, used TurboTax as usual. Will wait a week or two to file in case I get any 1099 corrections. Lucky me, I misunderstood how short term losses from previous years work so ended up being able to offset some long term gains this year that I had sent estimated tax payments to cover so will get it all back, hmmm, maybe I'll buy that cable for the telescope.

Cooked pizza in the outdoor oven, first time I fired it up in over 30 days as we had over 20" of snow and just too cold. Thought it might be a bit damp but was ready to cook in 2 hours, pizzas were good. Used a new dough recipe that had a bit of whole wheat flour and turned out well but needed to have been a little thinner. Ate pizza while watching the first two episodes of Season 6 of Doc Martin on DVD, we like this quirky show and enjoyed both of them. Only 8 episodes in the season so will have to ration them out a bit.

Up early as usual this morning, oven outside is still about 450 degrees so will cook a whole chicken later this morning for dinner during the week.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #13440

Went to an elementary school talent show with DW and assorted other inlaws. So glad I don't have to do that often. They're cute but....

Today is the long-anticipated baby shower. Well, for DW anyway. The guys are going to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center | National Air and Space Museum. I haven't been there since a few days after it first opened and I'm looking forward to that.