Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #13441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The guys are going to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center | National Air and Space Museum. I haven't been there since a few days after it first opened and I'm looking forward to that.
That museum is awesome. I could spend days in there. Unfortunately, it makes me feel as if maybe I should just be part of display... I've worked on way too many of those systems!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #13442
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Ate pizza while watching the first two episodes of Season 6 of Doc Martin on DVD, we like this quirky show and enjoyed both of them. Only 8 episodes in the season so will have to ration them out a bit.
@davemartin88... I too am a Doc Martin fan! I record the shows and watch at my leisure, in the Houston area the show is on Thursdays evenings. I really like the village look and if I ever traveled outside of the US I'd go to Cornwall/Port Isaac. .

Old 03-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #13443
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nothin......Drink Martinis!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #13444
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Breakfast
Then physical therapy, 16 different exercises, each followed by a couple of minutes to let the 'snow globe effects' to settle down. Then let the nausea settle.
Lunch
Followed by 2 more repetitions of PT and nausea. Have a meclizine and valium.
Dinner.
I might have a Manhattan after dinner.
MRG
Old 03-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #13445
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Studio l'italiano con duolingo.com.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #13446

what did you do today?

Got my flash systems rebuilt, and all my gear packed in three carryout bags: camera essentials, flash accessories, and general accessories. Can't find my Bogen tripod. Can't find my camper keys. There's something else I can't find, but I can't remember what...

Assembling basic fishing equipment: decided I should learn to fish since we travel to NFs and canoe so much. Something to keep me out of the camper, and I've been doing a lot of cooking over the fire, so a few fish occasionally would go down well.

Covered the opening where the fridge vent cover used to be until my neighbors tree limb swatted it off. Ice storm coming in and wanted no leaks. Just a screw on cover, so no major repair.

Replaced the side mirror on my sons car.

Perused the global news.

Getting ready for a nap....
Old 03-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #13447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
@davemartin88... I too am a Doc Martin fan! I record the shows and watch at my leisure, in the Houston area the show is on Thursdays evenings. I really like the village look and if I ever traveled outside of the US I'd go to Cornwall/Port Isaac. .
Big Doc Martin fan here too, but with characteristic lack of self-control when it comes to TV viewing, I watched all the episodes plus both of the movies with the help of Hulu over the course of a couple of weeks!
Old 03-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #13448
Moderator Emeritus

I spent the last 2 weeks putting together a well-stocked but lightweight hiking pack and I tested it for balance and comfort this morning. I am happy with the results.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #13449

Rode my exercise bike for awhile and now playing around with the Eclipse Android Software Development Kit. It's 9 below outside with a windchill of 30 below. The windchill warning extends through tomorrow so I will be staying inside.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #13450
Recycles dryer sheets

- Went to Discount Tires for new tires for the car
- Grocery shopping at Target
- Updated the Net Worth SS and paid some bills
- Mowed the weeds in the backyard
- Took the dog for a 3 mile walk
- Surfed the Innerwebs for awhile
Old 03-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #13451

Took BART into San Francisco to meet with my tax accountant in Nob Hill. A pleasant hour was spent chatting with him while he filled out my rather simple return. As expected, I don't owe a dime

Came back home to the East Bay, had a quick lunch, then walked to the local pet store to work at a cat adoption fair. Spent an hour and a half in kitty heaven

I am now about to sit down with a cup of tea to watch another episode of Breaking Bad. Lord knows why I watch this series (and he won't tell me). With the exception of Walt's son, I don't really like any of the main characters, and find the amoral landscape they inhabit particularly uninspiring and unappealing. Nevertheless, at the end of every episode, shortly after wondering why I'm watching it, I tell myself that I will watch "just one more episode" so I can find out what happens next

Shows like Doc Martin, Kingdom, Inspector Morse, and Inspector Lewis are so much more pleasant to watch!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #13452
Administrator

Last night I "closed out" my spending log for February, and in February I had accidently spent less than during any other month in recent years. Adding to that is my tax refund from the IRS. It seems that I have some money left over to play with...

So, today I am the proud owner of a brand new gold iPhone 5s. I am probably the last person here to get one! But my iPhone 4 was getting kind of ratty and beat up looking, the iPhone 6 isn't out yet despite predictions months ago, and I understand that the camera in the 5s is pretty good. Verizon charged me $199 for it with a two year contract, although I also managed to get my overall monthly costs for data+phone cut back from $70 to $50 since I don't need much data.

I am downloading all my apps again, one by one, because... ... well, it's a long story, having to do with not trusting the cloud, a busted laptop last winter, and forgetting to sync on the new laptop. But this is good because I had a lot of apps on my old iPhone that I never use. I can pare things down a bit.

I also got a new video game that I love (the new Professor Layton game), so between that and setting up my new iPhone I have plenty to do. Mardi Gras is Tuesday so New Orleans has descended into its usual insanity at this time of year. Let the good times roll! (Or something along those lines)....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gold-iphone-5.jpg (7.9 KB, 213 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #13453
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So, today I am the proud owner of a brand new gold iPhone 5s. I am probably the last person here to get one!
Nope. Here is my phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nokia.jpg (9.7 KB, 205 views)
Old 03-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #13454

Quote:
Last night I "closed out" my spending log for February, and in February I had accidently spent less than during any other month in recent years. Adding to that is my tax refund from the IRS. It seems that I have some money left over to play with...

So, today I am the proud owner of a brand new gold iPhone 5s. I am probably the last person here to get one! But my iPhone 4 was getting kind of ratty and beat up looking, the iPhone 6 isn't out yet despite predictions months ago, and I understand that the camera in the 5s is pretty good. Verizon charged me $199 for it with a two year contract, although I also managed to get my overall monthly costs for data+phone cut back from $70 to $50 since I don't need much data.

I am downloading all my apps again, one by one, because... ... well, it's a long story, having to do with not trusting the cloud, a busted laptop last winter, and forgetting to sync on the new laptop. But this is good because I had a lot of apps on my old iPhone that I never use. I can pare things down a bit.

I also got a new video game that I love (the new Professor Layton game), so between that and setting up my new iPhone I have plenty to do. Mardi Gras is Tuesday so New Orleans has descended into its usual insanity at this time of year. Let the good times roll! (Or something along those lines)....

Pretty! Congrats.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #13455
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congrats on you new phone. I still have an iPhone 3G......Happy Mardi Gras!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #13456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Nope. Here is my phone
Now that looks similar to my Samsung Smooth with prepaid service through PagePlus for about $2.50/month.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #13457

Had a good time at the museum yesterday but we were only there for a few hours. Like Hermit I could spend days in there. I think I'll have to make a special trip just for the movies, which I have yet to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air_and_space_museum-1.jpg (181.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Air_and_space_museum-3.jpg (174.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Air_and_space_museum-4.jpg (188.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Air_and_space_museum-5.jpg (134.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Air_and_space_museum-11.jpg (173.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #13458
Administrator

What a cool museum, Walt! You definitely need to make plans to return sometime when you can spend all day there.

What I have been up to: shredding and reducing my files to what I need to keep. If I don't do this every few years, my file cabinet becomes essentially a trash storage device.

I don't know if it was all the shredding and file lugging, or the (weather) front that just blew through, but somehow I threw out my back last night. Thank goodness this hardly ever happens to me. I don't see how people who frequently throw their backs out can stand it. I did manage to get about 5 hours' sleep.

My new iPhone is still fun, though.....

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #13459
Recycles dryer sheets

Went out for a late-morning walk w DH from our home to the Alameda Creek Trail, heading inland. While we were out I remembered I had a library book on reserve that came in, so I pulled out my phone (a Samsung Android phone, not an iPhone ) to see if the library was open yet today -- the branch near me has various hours over the course of the week -- and yep, it was open. So we continued on to the library, where we browsed for a bit and I checked out my book. We were getting peckish, so we walked to a local diner where DH had waffles and I had french toast -- not what you'd call standard lunch fare, but their waffles & fr toast are excellent. Then we walked back home again along the AC Trail. It started sprinkling a couple of blocks from home and the rain started coming down a few minutes after we reached our house - have we got timing or what?

It was about 3 miles from our home to the library, another mile to the diner, and about 3.5 back to our home. I figure a seven & a half mile walk allows us waffles & french toast for lunch. And an afternoon nap.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #13460

My kind of day. Couple inches of ice last night, a bit of snow on top. DH built a fire in fireplace (love the guy!) I read a bit, puttered around the house some.

Booked a vrbo place in Algiers Point, LA for a few nights in May.

Split a meatball sub with DH at a nearby pizza joint for dinner...and some beer.