Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

what did you do today?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #13461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what did you do today?

The voltage regulator for my camera - which permits the use of older, high voltage flash equipment on newer digital cameras without burning out the camera circuits - came in today, and I had to try it out. Haven't shot complicated flash since the mid 90s, but I popped two flashes on the camera, one bounced off the ceiling for key light and the second at about 1/8 power for fill, and got a very nice portrait of my wife reading. Unfortunately, she rarely gives me permission to publish her photo, so here's a photo of the camera rig instead - courtesy of my iPad lol

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1393981273.889715.jpg

For those interested, the regulator sits on top the hotshoe, and both flashes plug into it, rather than the camera directly.

I'll have to try the studio flashes at a later date, after pulling them out of storage.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #13462
Recycles dryer sheets

Today I went to the Credit Union and opened a Money Market account with some of the $$$ I got from my Thrift Saving Plan (TSP). I also transferred $$$ from my CU Savings into this new account which will be used for medical emergencies, car replacement and taxes (in case I have to pay additional taxes from TSP withdrawal). I didn't want everything in my Vanguard MM which holds money earmarked for emergencies, vacation, and house. Then I went to Applebee's to buy garlic mashed potatoes because I'm making Shepard Pie and didn't feel like mashing.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #13463
Full time employment: Posting here.

At a Diamondbacks - Royals spring training game
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (644.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #13464
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Huh the Royals train? Glad you attached a photo.
MRG
Old 03-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #13465
Full time employment: Posting here.

Only in alternate years ��. Actually, they are ahead 1 to 0, top of the 3rd.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:20 PM   #13466

Cassie - how'd the pie turn out?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #13467
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Cassie - how'd the pie turn out?
It was very good, I hadn't made Shepard's Pie or had ground lamb in awhile, so it was a treat. I'm having trouble posting the picture and will try again later. Thanks for asking.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #13468

Slept in until 9:30. That hasn't happened for a while!

DW is gone for a couple of days staying with the 14-year-old daughter of her cousin who went to her mother's funeral in Oregon. The 14-year-old is a bright and sweet kid, no issues, so no problem. She doesn't really need any looking after, it's just that one doesn't leave a 14-year-old girl in the house by herself for three days.

Went to the gym then banged on a stuck partially broken sheer pin in the snow thrower for a half hour before giving up and taking it to a shop, and since it was there anyway told 'em to go ahead and make the adjustments to the friction wheel, replace it if needed, the auger brake, and do the other servicing that I normally do. But it'll save me spending half a day working on it. Maybe I just need a bigger hammer.

New battery for the UPS for the computer. Never did make it to Lowes for the house stuff since I got such a late start.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #13469

With the luxury of time, drove over to a mall, got a pair of tennis shoes at 40 percent off.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #13470

Went for a walk in the woods and took some photos. Gotta do some packing tonight - our son has a performance in Columbus Ohio [CATCO] we want to see tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #13471
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spent day at my camp. Still 8" of snow, starting to see traces of the creek, which was totally frozen over. Saw a black ferret hiking along the creek side. Scooting along niceley on the hard packed snow cover.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #13472

Went to a going away lunch with former workers last Friday. There have been several recently. The boss asked if I might consider returning. I respectfully declined.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #13473

Transported a rocking chair and footstool to DW's expectant neice's house. The chair was a gift from the baby shower a couple of weeks ago but was too big for a car (or at least very awkward) and my pickup truck has a cap over the bed that made it in DW's eyes the perfect transport vehicle. Actually a good day, SIL went with us and we all went out to lunch at a nearby Italian restaurant, the niece insisted on buying since we brought her chair over.

Tomorrow's forecast is for 60°. I will definitely be spending some time in the seat of the motorcycle.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #13474

Played 1 round of golf in the morning and could not finish 2nd round in the afternoon. That's 3rd straight times that I felt too tired and quit 2nd round before the sun went down. And I rode cart for both rounds. Note to myself ... better get in shape.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #13475

Weather finally got warm enough for grilling outside. What a relief! My BGE and I missed each other terribly.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #13476
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Weather finally got warm enough for grilling outside. What a relief! My BGE and I missed each other terribly.

Yes what a relief! I grilled out tonight for the first time in more than 4 months
Old 03-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #13477
Administrator

We use our gas grill out on the porch all through the winter. It's a little cold running out there to put the meat on, but it's worth a little discomfort to have grilled food.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:08 PM   #13478

Couldn't not go to Taco Mac... all tap beers are $0.35 all week! Two meals, six awesome beers picked from a tap lineup of 95 taps, appetizers and dessert for $28!!! But I think the deal is only in the NC part of the chain.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #13479

Open 'er up!

Went for a two-hour motorcycle ride in the first decent weather we've had for quite a while. I meandered around on some state roads and then decided to head home for lunch back on I-81 from the Hagerstown, MD area. I saw that southbound traffic was coming to a standstill just before the WV line and took the next exit onto a southbound parallel state road from which I could sometimes see the interstate and noticed that both north and southbound sides were at a stop.

So I bypassed the event, which I later learned was a tragic double fatality, got back on southbound I-81, and found that I had three lanes of freshly-paved interstate practically to myself. Ignorant at the time of the reason for this I figured the police would be completely tied up with whatever the reason for the backups was, and was unable to overcome the urge to open the throttle and cruise on down the highway at 90-95 mph for abut five miles until traffic began to get back up to levels which made that unwise. But for a while it seemed a little "Twilight Zoneish" to have the whole interstate to myself.

Sure cleaned out the cobwebs on the bike though.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 AM   #13480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Open 'er up!

Went for a two-hour motorcycle ride in the first decent weather we've had for quite a while. I meandered around on some state roads and then decided to head home for lunch back on I-81 from the Hagerstown, MD area. I saw that southbound traffic was coming to a standstill just before the WV line and took the next exit onto a southbound parallel state road from which I could sometimes see the interstate and noticed that both north and southbound sides were at a stop.

So I bypassed the event, which I later learned was a tragic double fatality, got back on southbound I-81, and found that I had three lanes of freshly-paved interstate practically to myself. Ignorant at the time of the reason for this I figured the police would be completely tied up with whatever the reason for the backups was, and was unable to overcome the urge to open the throttle and cruise on down the highway at 90-95 mph for abut five miles until traffic began to get back up to levels which made that unwise. But for a while it seemed a little "Twilight Zoneish" to have the whole interstate to myself.

Sure cleaned out the cobwebs on the bike though.
You are making it difficult to hold off on a motorcycle until I get my house built.
Closed Thread