Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #13581

Spread fertilizer on the lawn this morning just ahead of the rain that will follow for the next two days.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #13582
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are in Ruidoso, NM, at a timeshare condo. No RV'ing for this trip. Am waiting for the camera battery to charge before heading out to do some sightseeing and museum visits.

I have heard of this resort skiing town, but have not had a chance to visit. So when a good deal for timeshare exchange popped up on my wife's screen a couple of months ago and she asked if we wanted to go, I replied "Why not?". It would not work for us to go during the crowded tourist season, particularly as we are not skiers.

Retirement life is great with its flexibility for travel.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #13583
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, yes it is.

Spare battery and car charger come in handy for us.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #13584

Very productive day yesterday (for a change). After my morning 2-mile walk, breakfast, and shower, I wrote 4 letters: 2 to prison inmates as part of a letter-writing ministry and 2 to members of my church going on a retreat. Next I loaded up the car with "merch" (aka unwanted stuff) for the annual youth garage sale at church. Dropped the stuff off, along with a knitted prayer shawl I finished Thursday night. Went to the post office to mail the letters (there are mail thieves in our neighborhood so we don't put outgoing mail in the box). After lunch, I tackled our taxes - although we need to file an extension due to some documents I need to get from my sister's accountant which are always late, I knew we would owe some $$ (more than expected capital gains at the end of the year) so I wanted to get that estimated. Plowed through all the documents and actually got it all figured out!!! Cooked shrimp scampi for dinner and baked a banana snack cake for good measure. Then settled down with a glass of wine to watch March Madness and start knitting the next prayer shawl. It was a good day!

Today went to the farmer's market and found lots of nice vegetable and herb plants for $0.50 each from the local HS FFA, so I'll be out planting this afternoon. Making osso buco and risotto for dinner tonight, yum!
Old 03-29-2014, 04:30 PM   #13585
Administrator

Today, I was a judge for a National High School Mock Trial competition at my young wife's high school. It was quite heartening to see a bunch of intelligent, hard-working and enthusiastic young people. They were very well prepared and more poised and confident on their feet than a number of attorneys I've seen.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #13586

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Very productive day yesterday (for a change). After my morning 2-mile walk, breakfast, and shower, I wrote 4 letters: 2 to prison inmates as part of a letter-writing ministry and 2 to members of my church going on a retreat. Next I loaded up the car with "merch" (aka unwanted stuff) for the annual youth garage sale at church. Dropped the stuff off, along with a knitted prayer shawl I finished Thursday night. Went to the post office to mail the letters (there are mail thieves in our neighborhood so we don't put outgoing mail in the box). After lunch, I tackled our taxes - although we need to file an extension due to some documents I need to get from my sister's accountant which are always late, I knew we would owe some $$ (more than expected capital gains at the end of the year) so I wanted to get that estimated. Plowed through all the documents and actually got it all figured out!!! Cooked shrimp scampi for dinner and baked a banana snack cake for good measure. Then settled down with a glass of wine to watch March Madness and start knitting the next prayer shawl. It was a good day!

Today went to the farmer's market and found lots of nice vegetable and herb plants for $0.50 each from the local HS FFA, so I'll be out planting this afternoon. Making osso buco and risotto for dinner tonight, yum!
I think I will have to stop and have a beer. I got exhausted just reading your post.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #13587
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Spare battery and car charger come in handy for us.
I had a spare battery carried inside the camera case. Both batteries were depleted! And I was debating whether to bring the battery charger.

Anyway, yesterday we spent a few hours in Lincoln, NM, to learn the history events around the story of Billy the Kid and the mayhem back then. I learned of Billy the Kid reading the Belgian cartoon series "Lucky Luke", but these children comics had nothing about the true violence in the real Western US.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #13588

Lol - I've had days like that...
Old 03-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #13589
Recycles dryer sheets

While doing some ancestry research I managed to reliably connect the dots back to my 16th great-grandfather born in 1432. In the mix found 2 Earls, one of them during the reign of Henry VIII, a Countess, and a Lord born in the mid 1500's.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #13590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
While doing some ancestry research I managed to reliably connect the dots back to my 16th great-grandfather born in 1432. In the mix found 2 Earls, one of them during the reign of Henry VIII, a Countess, and a Lord born in the mid 1500's.
I'm trying to find out where my LW's grandfather was born!
Old 03-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #13591
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
I'm proudly descended from a long line of peasants.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:26 PM   #13592
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm proudly descended from a long line of peasants.

Gypsies, tramps, and thieves...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-31-2014, 07:17 AM   #13593
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Gypsies, tramps, and thieves...
My family's "emigration" might better be called a flight from justice.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 AM   #13594

Yesterday we went to see "Noah". I won't say anything about the film because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who doesn't know how it ends.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #13595
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We just got back from a week -end at Cape Kennedy space center . It was very interesting seeing the launch pad & the shuttle Atlantis plus the Imax film on repairing the Hubble telescope was amazing . Good week-end !
We'll be visiting there in September, basing ourselves in Cocoa Beach. Looks like there is enough to do there to occupy an entire day!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:51 AM   #13596
Recycles dryer sheets

Woke up to hail, notable because we were in a tent as part of a backpacking trip.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #13597
Full time employment: Posting here.

Doing what we've been doing for the past 3 weeks: getting our house ready to list.

We are just about ready!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #13598
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Disassembled much of the dash on the passenger's side of our Honda Pilot to change the A/C filter and remove the remnants of a mouse nest from the fan. What a PITA to get to the fan housing...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #13599

It's Opening Day. What do you think I'm doing?

Yayyyy!

Old 03-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #13600
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
We'll be visiting there in September, basing ourselves in Cocoa Beach. Looks like there is enough to do there to occupy an entire day!
The space center takes a whole day to see it . Make sure you take the included bus tour which takes you to the launching pads .