Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #13621

Ran some errands for dw, played with my new woodworking carving gouges, trimmed back some rose bushes and grasses, turned MIL an ice cream scoop on my lathe for her birthday gift

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #13622
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Quicken's bottom line is up 2.24% YTD. Not bad, not bad at all despite holding 25% in stagnant cash earning 2% or so a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I keep withdrawing from mine and it just keeps getting bigger. What am I doing wrong?
Oh, my banking and credit card accounts are all included in Quicken's total number. Lemme see...

Accounting for the YTD expenses brings the YTD return to 2.87%. Nice, nice... But, but, but the numbers show that my expense YTD is only 0.63% or 2.52% annualized. This can't be!

I guess staying home over the winter months and occupying oneself with repair of vintage stereo speakers really helped cutting down expenses. However, one can't do that year round. The open road beckons when spring comes. And it already has.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #13623
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
First clothesline day of the year, mostly towels, almost too windy.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #13624
Moderator Emeritus

Prep work for a whole house window replacement tomorrow. We have some of the earliest double-pane windows made installed in the house, and every single one has had a seal failure. Time to cut 'em out and install something that we can see through...

This will be interesting.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #13625
Moderator Emeritus

Filed granddaughter's federal tax this morning. She is a full time college student and worked a bit over the month of December. Next year I'll buy her a copy of Turbo Tax or point her to TaxAct Free.

Recovering from my business trip to West Texas and Oklahoma earlier this week. Looking at grass cutting instead of going to the office.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #13626
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Filed granddaughter's federal tax this morning. She is a full time college student and worked a bit over the month of December. Next year I'll buy her a copy of Turbo Tax or point her to TaxAct Free. ............
I do my MIL's taxes and use a free edition for low income filers of TurboTax, though the state treasurer's website.

But I'd agree that if you can handle college, you should be able to file your own taxes.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #13627
Give me a forum ...

Made a loaf of homemade, no knead bread. Hot bread + butter = yummy!
Old 04-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #13628
Give me a forum ...

Visited the local Social Security office and had a delightful exchange with the friendly clerk. Brought back warm memories of my days in the gummint.

Me: "I tried to do this online, but wasn't able to complete it."

Clerk: "I know, and we can't do it on a walk-in basis, either. You'll have to set up an appointment. Would you like me to do that for you?"

Me: "Sure. When is the first appointment I can get?"

Clerk: "May 27th."

Me:
Old 04-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #13629
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Visited the local Social Security office and had a delightful exchange with the friendly clerk. Brought back warm memories of my days in the gummint.

Me: "I tried to do this online, but wasn't able to complete it."

Clerk: "I know, and we can't do it on a walk-in basis, either. You'll have to set up an appointment. Would you like me to do that for you?"

Me: "Sure. When is the first appointment I can get?"

Clerk: "May 27th."

Me:
Don't ya just Love it!?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #13630
Give me a forum ...

DW and I went snow skiing for the day. Second time this season for me and fourth time for DW. Conditions were good, a little soft from half-way down the mountain to the bottom but nice and firm up top. The beauty of spring skiing - no ice - didn't hit a patch of ice all day. Skied in jeans with windpants, a flannel shirt and a fleece. Boy though, I am out of shape. We did some small bumps and I was tuckered. Good day overall though.

We have two or three tickets to use between now and the end of the season, which will be in 3-4 weeks for most of the resorts.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #13631

Retrieved my Ariens snow thrower from the shop. $272. Then ran the engine dry and drained the fuel tank.

Apparently to replace the friction disc they have to practically disassemble the entire thing by "removing all gears and shafts". That's why I didn't do it - I'd probably have gone in there anyway with a basket full of parts.

Oh well, at least everything works well and it's in good shape for the next time. Which, after last winter, will hopefully be a few years.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #13632
Recycles dryer sheets

Got a hair cut, renewed my Texas State Parks Pass over at the lake, went for a 3 mile walk in shorts for the first time this year, and answered some emails from work.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #13633
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Prep work for a whole house window replacement tomorrow. We have some of the earliest double-pane windows made installed in the house, and every single one has had a seal failure. Time to cut 'em out and install something that we can see through...

Please keep us posted on this. I'm researching windows for our house as well. Lots of scammers out there, I really want to make sure I get this right.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #13634
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

Now you'll have to keep your windows clean
Old 04-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #13635
Recycles dryer sheets

Day 2 of RE. My head understands I'm not going to have to log into the office, but heart or gut doesn't, yet. Kinda weird. Worked on renovations: 2 coats charcoal colored paint on new six panel doors in lower level. Love it! Did happy dance. Got hungry after the painting, so we ate really early, and am surfing early, too (usually I surf the web in bed after DH is asleep). I don't think RE is what is impacting my schedule as much as doing renovations, since I tend to keep going until I finish something, but who knows?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #13636
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yesterday we went to see "Noah". I won't say anything about the film because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who doesn't know how it ends.
Thought I understood your post until I saw "Noah" yesterday, interesting.

Great thing, it counted as 2 hours of visual rehab.
MRG
Old 04-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #13637
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Worked....again. Counting down, though!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 04-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #13638
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Ran some errands during rain lull; sump pump running all day.

Communicated with Gary concerning Florida home improvements: sink sprayer fixed, septic tank pumped out; next is new noseeums screens for outdoor room.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #13639

Brought my tax stuff to the acct, bought some new woodworking chisels and a nice piece of cherry, and picked up the new floor tile for the bathroom remodel. A great day 1 of RE, except I drove by a job site and called the office with a report. I have to stop that kinda stuff
Old 04-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #13640
Moderator Emeritus

Finished my new workbench for the garage workshop. What a monster and with 4 drawers. Weighs a ton and it's ready to move into place.

Took plans from Family Handyman magazine. About $200 in lumber, screws, trim and polyurethane.
Now for shelves, racks and to hard pipe compressed air to a central location.