Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #13641
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Put summer tires on my car.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #13642

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Finished my new workbench for the garage workshop. What a monster and with 4 drawers. Weighs a ton and it's ready to move into place.

Took plans from Family Handyman magazine. About $200 in lumber, screws, trim and polyurethane.
Now for shelves, racks and to hard pipe compressed air to a central location.
But will you use it? Or will it be too pretty to be used? It sure is pretty!

Old 04-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #13643
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
But will you use it? Or will it be too pretty to be used? It sure is pretty!
Yes, I will use it.

I believe I will cover the top with some rubber or vinyl covering about 1/16" thick. The top is removable if I decide to ruin it, however!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #13644

Nice workbench aja8888! I wish i would have put drawers in mine.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #13645
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Nice workbench aja8888! I wish i would have put drawers in mine.
Thanks, a lot of extra work, but the drawers will be handy. I didn't have them in my previous bench, but decided to make this one with them.

Here's the plans if anyone wants to make one:

Simple Workbench Plans: The Family Handyman
Old 04-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #13646
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Installed the new release of GarageBand on my iMac.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #13647
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
Please keep us posted on this. I'm researching windows for our house as well. Lots of scammers out there, I really want to make sure I get this right.
Well, a crew of a dozen folks swept through the house, and replaced 17 windows and a sliding door in 5 1/2 hours. The results actually look really good.

The installation option we selected kept the original aluminum frames in place, and inset the new windows and frames within the remains of the old window frame. This has the drawback of giving us windows inset within a frame that's about 2 inches wide all around the window, so the actual glass is smaller. It has the advantage of not disturbing the waterproofing integrity of the existing frame, flashing, and moisture barrier under the stucco finish of the house.

The other options available involved 'pulling' the frame, effectively ripping it loose from the flashing, and leaving no real seal where water moving within the stucco reaches the ripped end of the moisture barrier, sawing most of the exposed part of the aluminum frame out and cutting the sills to insert a slightly larger window, again with some reduction in waterproofing that is partially compensated for with insane amounts of caulking, or using 'new construction' windows, sawing and hammering out the stucco to expose the window nail fin, and tearing back the moisture barrier so the new window nail fin can be set on the wood and flashed (more or less) properly. (This costs much more than the inset replacement we went with.)

The sliding door replacement used a new construction door, so there was much sawing and hammering out of the stucco. The new door was nailed in, reflashed, and re-stuccoed with a texture coat that pretty much matched the house. Casing (mouldings) were put on the inside to cover the banged up wallboard where the old door was pulled.

We got three estimates. The company we chose was a local one with a pretty good reputation, and happened to be the low bidder. The high bidder, BTW, was 35% higher, and had... oddly consistent... reviews on Yelp, which the salesman was quite proud of.

We checked the contractor license and insurance on the California license board's web site. There's one interesting bit of information we gleaned there. Some of the window replacement businesses didn't have (or need) insurance coverage, because they have NO EMPLOYEES. We ruled these right out. Either they were subcontracting to a real contractor, or the owner was going to show up on work day with a crew he found in the Home Depot parking lot. Either way, no thanks.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #13648
Recycles dryer sheets

That is a really nice workbench, aja8888!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #13649
Recycles dryer sheets

Had rotator cuff surgery, three tears and bone spur removal. Yep, typing with one hand for awhile
Old 04-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #13650
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Finished my new workbench for the garage workshop. What a monster and with 4 drawers. Weighs a ton and it's ready to move into place.
Sweet looking bench, too pretty to actually build something on . Nice job, you look to be quite the "Family Handyman"
Old 04-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #13651
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Well, a crew of a dozen folks swept through the house, and replaced 17 windows and a sliding door in 5 1/2 hours. The results actually look really good.
Busy day! Besides looking good, the new windows and door are surely very energy efficient and more soundproof than the old ones, so overall this sounds like a very nice improvement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-03-2014, 10:00 PM   #13652

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Busy day! Besides looking good, the new windows and door are surely very energy efficient and more soundproof than the old ones, so overall this sounds like a very nice improvement.
More soundproof and sounds like a very nice improvement?

I guess so.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #13653
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
More soundproof and sounds like a very nice improvement?

I guess so.
Oops! I should have said "seems to be" instead of "sounds like".

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #13654
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
Sweet looking bench, too pretty to actually build something on . Nice job, you look to be quite the "Family Handyman"
Yeah, I have that reputation. Sometimes it's a curse! Good luck with the rotator cuff work...I had that done years ago and now it only hurts when cold weather is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris66 View Post
That is a really nice workbench, aja8888!
Thanks Chris!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:17 AM   #13655
Recycles dryer sheets

DH & I took a kayaking course today, put on by the Regional Park District for people 50 & over. It was the first time either of us have been in a kayak, and we had a great time!

Kayaks (in very good condition), paddles, and life jackets -- excuse me, PFDs -- were provided, and the price of the course was very reasonable, imo. We could have had a 2-person kayak, but we opted for individual kayaks.

There were about a dozen participants, all kayaking newbies. Three park staffers taught us, and I think they did a great job. We really lucked out on the weather, a couple of nasty rainstorms passed thru the area over the past week, but it was glorious out today.

It was a great way to become familiarized with kayaking & get our feet wet, literally. We're now looking into places where we can go & rent them. We may have found a new pastime, oh boy!
Old 04-04-2014, 02:11 AM   #13656

what did you do today?

Someone mentioned Work!? Thought this was life AFTER FIRE lol.

Just kidding

Visited DWs two cousins sisters), one who is in Hospice at home. She is MRDD, and doesn't realize she is dying. A blessing, I suppose. She has been sick a lot during her later life. It's her healthy sister who needs the support, now and after.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:13 AM   #13657

Had new gutters installed Monday. Got to watch them work today...
Old 04-04-2014, 05:41 AM   #13658
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yeah, I have that reputation. Sometimes it's a curse! Good luck with the rotator cuff work...I had that done years ago and now it only hurts when cold weather is coming.

Thanks Chris!
Yeah, I won't be building anything for awhile. Don't think I'll be sleeping much either
Old 04-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #13659

Yesterday we had spiny lobster tails on the grill. A first for us, we've never bought or cooked lobster 'til last night. They were on sale so we bought a bunch. We had them with boniato and mango salsa. Yum.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #13660
Moderator Emeritus

Now that we have new windows, DW wants new window coverings. So... I worked up a design, hit the local big box hardware store for rods and holdbacks, and picked up a bunch of fabric.

Off the shelf curtains won't cut it. We have stacked windows topping out at 125" from the floor. I wanted to see a single vertical drop of fabric from the window top to the floor, so that means rolling my own. It looks like I've got about 3 days of sewing total to do this job. Yeah, I'm slow, but at least everything is coming out nice and even so far.

Stuff to do when retired...