Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #13781

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I recall you describing the outcome, but it is the actual experience that concerns me. There was a recent thread http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...1-a-71031.html that went into detail about the surgery. That's what I need to know more about.
I understand completely.
I haven't been so terrified of anything since I was in combat (a LONG time ago). Just about totally freaked out over the idea of someone cutting into my eyeball. I'm with you all the way on this.

However, with that preamble, I have to say that when I went in for the second eye, thirty days after the first one, I was totally calm and relaxed. No big deal at all, since I knew just what to expect.

You'll probably be the same, but if you can have confidence in your surgeon you'll be fine. I looked mine up last week on the new Medicare database, and saw that he did nearly 4,000 of these operations on Medicare patients in 2012, so that means he does a lot more per year. He also goes to India every year to visit his parents for three weeks, and does several hundred there (for nothing, at charity hospitals) in his spare time. Great guy, and he gave me the confidence I needed.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #13782
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Then I realized with GREAT relief that no, this was just my very first EFTPS estimated tax payment (and equivalent Louisiana electronic payment of estimated tax), which I scheduled for today several weeks ago.
Dang! I know I forgot something.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #13783
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just about totally freaked out over the idea of someone cutting into my eyeball.
Yikes! We definitely see eye to eye...
Old 04-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #13784
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Junk yard run today...er....... I mean metal recycler. I was looking for some aluminum plate for a project and came on a pile of used carpenters' power tools. They appeared to be good quality but well used, not junk. So, I picked up a Milwaukee circular saw for $5. It works fine and just needed a new cord, which I cut off one of the other tools.

The guy that runs the place probably thinks I'm just scraping by, which is fine by me.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #13785
Give me a forum ...

Today I wore my Red Sox cap. Chicago salutes Boston!

Old 04-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #13786

Gym day today, stopped by the grocery to get some apples I forgot on the last visit and picked up a pot of tulips for $5.50. Since it was going to be a rainy cold day I figured I'd have something to photograph without going outside.

Assembled one of two filing cabinets that DW has been wanting for a while. I was pleasantly surprised at the precision of the predrilled holes and such. They're those made-in-China pressed sawdust products but will serve the purpose. The remaining one is tomorrow's project.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #13787
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Today I wore my Red Sox cap. Chicago salutes Boston!
I was born in Boston, and still have many family members there. Thank you for remembering Boston today.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #13788
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I was born in Boston, and still have many family members there. Thank you for remembering Boston today.

It's an honor. I lived for a while in Brookline, JP, and Allston.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #13789

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

It's an honor. I lived for a while in Brookline, JP, and Allston.
Thank you. My sister lived in Allston about 20 years ago; she now lives in Cambridge. Say hello to Illinois for me. I went to high school in Evanston and lived there for several years after graduating. Haven't been back in decades - too much winter.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #13790
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.....Paying online like this will save me (2 x 4 x $0.49) = $3.92/year in stamps.
I salute you, oh frugal one!! That's almost enough to pay for one of your lunches!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #13791
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I salute you, oh frugal one!! That's almost enough to pay for one of your lunches!
I guess it really isn't much saved! But wait....

I also saved the gas that it takes to drop off my estimated taxes at the main post office. Let's see; 3 miles x 2 is a 6 mile round trip, four times a year, so that is 24 miles of stop and go city driving. So, probably a gallon and a half of gas, maybe $5-$6 per year in gas. That plus the $3.92 in postage brings the total cost to almost $10/year.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
what did you do today?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #13792

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Gym day today, stopped by the grocery to get some apples I forgot on the last visit and picked up a pot of tulips for $5.50. Since it was going to be a rainy cold day I figured I'd have something to photograph without going outside.

Assembled one of two filing cabinets that DW has been wanting for a while. I was pleasantly surprised at the precision of the predrilled holes and such. They're those made-in-China pressed sawdust products but will serve the purpose. The remaining one is tomorrow's project.

Did you remember the apples this time, or get sidetracked by the tulips?

Signed - been there done that

I was going to post what I did yesterday, but I can't remember....
Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #13793

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Did you remember the apples this time, or get sidetracked by the tulips?

Signed - been there done that
I did remember the apples but DW was getting very impatient with me even though I told her the tulips were for her. She didn't fall for it. After the gym she's always hungry and in a hurry to get home.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #13794
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Thank you. My sister lived in Allston about 20 years ago; she now lives in Cambridge. Say hello to Illinois for me. I went to high school in Evanston and lived there for several years after graduating. Haven't been back in decades - too much winter.

Cambridge and Evanston? That's Uptown!

I will pass along the hello, not much I can do about the winter but... I may don the (Red) Sox cap again! Actually, I guarantee it

Old 04-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #13795
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am getting close, and I am looking forward to the day when I hear what you heard. It is a little scary to think about, but from what people say I gather that it is a pretty easy surgery and it really improves one's vision a LOT.
My DW had one eye done last week. Took all of 20 minutes and no pain. Now she can see better in that eye than she has since she was 12 (she said that). Her second one is going to be scheduled later this summer.

Me? 70 years old and no trace of cataracts in either eye (exam last summer).
what did you do today?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #13796

what did you do today?

Spent the day cleaning what used to be the photography studio but became the storage area. Actually, it took several days. Since I've decided to become more active in photography again, I dug up an old desktop computer and CRT monitor and plugged them in, having no idea what the specs or OS on the computer were. It fired up under Linux Mint lol, since I've long considered a Windows to be an obsolete dinosaur. I have no idea which version. It's doing a disk check as we speak...

I keep a laptop - much newer than the old desktop - with Windows 7 on it. Just in case I want to use my 15 year old version of Photoshop - Photoshop 7. Not CS - just plain Photoshop.

Yes, I'm old. Just threw out my Amiga 1000 about a month ago - and it was a pre-Commodore build.

Addendum: everything worked but I forgot the password/username combo lol. No prob, as I'm going to update theOS anyway.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #13797

Slept until 9:00, got off to a slow start. Assembled the 2nd file cabinet and played around with the camera and tulips.

And that was my total productivity for the day.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #13798
Full time employment: Posting here.

Shearing day for our alpacas. Shearer arrived at 11:45 and was on his way by 12:45, seven alpacas feeling a bit self conscious, lol. Here are some pictures of the event.

Here they are in their coats since we're supposed to be in the low 30's overnight tonight- looks like the weather warms after today so probably will only wear them tonight, good thing as a couple of the coats were a bit small, DW will make a couple of new ones for next year. Last picture shows our littlest guy, Pepe, on the mat being sheared.

We throw all the leg, neck, and belly fleece from all seven of the guys together in one bag to be sent off to make in to rug yarn. The blankets are kept separate and we'll process them in to yarn- we're still working on the fleece from last years shearing so need to get busy!

This is the same shearer that I posted about taking a class from a few weeks back.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:38 AM   #13799
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Seems this is a topic that affects many of us.

A new thread on this by yours truly would mostly help members that can't sleep at night and need a sleep aid. Sure, I’ll start a thread in the next couple of weeks. It'll start with “now I have to find a doctor” and “which lens”.

Loved the Crystal Gayle post, Michael.
Taxes, cataracts, whatever, anyway, I used to be a big fan of hers (maybe an anomaly).
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #13800
Confused about dryer sheets

Three sets of tennis. Getting ready to walk dog.
Closed Thread