Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #13801
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been semi-spring cleaning....so today I went to the library to donate my Harry Potter book series.

Thank you DaveMartin for sharing the shearing pictures.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #13802
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My wife's desktop PC suddenly had some weird problems, like stopped allowing its attached printer to be shared on the network. It also would not allow Windows update, nor AVG update. A scan using multiple virus scanners came up empty.

So, I was going to back up its content on the server before doing some serious repair work. But the server crashed due to a hardware problem! Now, I had to rebuild that server using another motherboard and a new 2TB drive. That and restoring the content from the old server's hard drives took the entire yesterday.

Now, I am now back to repairing Win 7 on my wife's desktop.

There's always something to keep an ER busy. Things keep breaking...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #13803

Gym day, and take a pickup truck load of stuff, mostly empty plastic storage boxes, but also a couple of lamps, rugs, and a small table, to Goodwill. This was stuff out of FIL's house and the boxes were used to store paperwork while going through it.

And replaced a turn signal bulb on the truck.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #13804
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what did you do today?

Spent two hours hiking a mountain bike trail. Almost got lost - thankful for a good GPS land NAV system lol.

Got linux Mint updated on an old computer, and spent some time getting familiar with GIMP. Kind of nice editing photos on a monitor again, rather than an iPad. While the iPad is efficient, the screen's still smaller and doesn't have the same controls available.

Pizza for supper...
Old 04-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #13805

got the smoker going to cook 7 briskets (tri-tips) and the Big Green Egg firing up to smoke a couple racks of ribs... filling the freezer for the carnivore family!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #13806

Just got of the hospital after being taken from the office in an ambulance, light and sirens blazing. Symptoms were of a stroke with the right side of my face numb and I couldn't talk. CAT scan showed no stroke and the symptoms, while they happened 3 times in about 4 hours, have been gone for 24 hours now. My blood pressure which is normally low was 190/110 when it got to the hospital so it's a wonder I didn't really have a stroke.

Doc said likely cause was exhaustion and stress from my new job. Been on a new program about 8 weeks. Leadership is insane to the point where I literally can't do my job (long story) and I've been averaging 80-90 hour weeks.

Guess my body said enough and just shut down.

Good news is that my direct management chain (which isn't part of this program) intervened and have told me not to come back to the office until a week from Monday. They've also said they will pull me from the program if there aren't some major changes in who is running it.

My program team is happy that I'm ok, but they're also kind of glad that something like this happened. We've been saying for weeks that the pace was killing us but no one was listening.. Well they're listening now...
Old 04-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #13807
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wow. Talk about taking one for the team...

Glad you are OK.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #13808

Thanks RE, I'm sitting on the patio watching the hummingbirds and reading a book. Can't get much more relaxed than that. :-)
Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #13809
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow. Talk about taking one for the team...

Glad you are OK.
+100 Talk about scary. Good to see your direct management going to bat for you. That doesn't happen everywhere.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #13810
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
I think you were wise to choose the individual kayaks. There is a joke that 2 person kayaks are "divorce boats" DH and I discovered that as we were bickering about "what the hell are you doing" "No what the hell are YOU doing?" when we rented a 2 person. Much better to have your own. And I have to say, there's nothing like being on the water-we are hikers, but the first time I paddled a kayak, I thought, "yeah, this is something I need to do!) Have fun if you decide to go with it!
So funny, and so true! We do generally rent two person kayaks, and without fail end up spending the first 10 minutes bickering. After that, we are in sync and all is well, but those first few minutes are always rough!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #13811
Recycles dryer sheets

Packing, cooking and doing general prep work for a six week RV trip we leave for on Monday morning. Very small kitchen galley in our travel trailer, so today is the last time I'll have the luxury to cook (vs prepare, which is more like what I do in the trailer). I'm making some items to bring along that should hold up well for the first week - biscotti, pesto, pasta salads and bruschetta.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #13812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Thanks RE, I'm sitting on the patio watching the hummingbirds and reading a book. Can't get much more relaxed than that. :-)
glad you're ok!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #13813
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Very glad you're ok. I've had two incidents like what you describe, no job is worth dead.
Take care of yourself when you go back.
MRG
Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #13814
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just got of the hospital after being taken from the office in an ambulance, light and sirens blazing. Symptoms were of a stroke with the right side of my face numb and I couldn't talk. CAT scan showed no stroke and the symptoms, while they happened 3 times in about 4 hours, have been gone for 24 hours now. My blood pressure which is normally low was 190/110 when it got to the hospital so it's a wonder I didn't really have a stroke.

Doc said likely cause was exhaustion and stress from my new job. Been on a new program about 8 weeks. Leadership is insane to the point where I literally can't do my job (long story) and I've been averaging 80-90 hour weeks.

Guess my body said enough and just shut down.

Good news is that my direct management chain (which isn't part of this program) intervened and have told me not to come back to the office until a week from Monday. They've also said they will pull me from the program if there aren't some major changes in who is running it.

My program team is happy that I'm ok, but they're also kind of glad that something like this happened. We've been saying for weeks that the pace was killing us but no one was listening.. Well they're listening now...
Wow! You are lucky to be alive and unimpaired, Lisa. I see from your profile that you are a project manager. I have worked with project managers and I can see how that profession has the possibility to become extremely stressful. Many clients expect the impossible. Please take all the time you need to destress. Sounds like your doctor will be supportive. Clearly, continuing to work for this client without some changes is not an option, for you or anyone else. It is at times like these that being FI is a godsend. This is a good time to reflect on what is really important.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #13815
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Wow! You are lucky to be alive and unimpaired, Lisa. I see from your profile that you are a project manager. I have worked with project managers and I can see how that profession has the possibility to become extremely stressful. Many clients expect the impossible. Please take all the time you need to destress. Sounds like your doctor will be supportive. Clearly, continuing to work for this client without some changes is not an option, for you or anyone else. It is at times like these that being FI is a godsend. This is a good time to reflect on what is really important.

Be very careful with this, Lisa. We have a family member who had a serious stroke at age 45 and he is a health nut. He now spends his day in a wheelchair watching daytime TV.

For my day, which was pretty uneventful (yesterday), I just got back from a three day business trip to Grand Prairie, Alberta and had to put up with late planes and packed airports. But I am home now and may go out and cut the grass.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #13816

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I'm going to take several days to rest and get my life back.

When I'm ready to think about work I'm going to do some soul searching to figure out what I do next, but I know it won't be back to the same pressure cooker. I have plans for a long and healthy retirement which means I have to get out of work alive!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #13817
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I'm going to take several days to rest and get my life back.

When I'm ready to think about work I'm going to do some soul searching to figure out what I do next, but I know it won't be back to the same pressure cooker. I have plans for a long and healthy retirement which means I have to get out of work alive!
+1
Old 04-18-2014, 11:44 AM   #13818

Wow Lisa I am so glad you are ok! That had to have been such a frightening thing to go through!

Glad you are taking care of yourself. You may want to consider getting a home BP monitor just to make sure your BP is indeed ok.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 04-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #13819
Give me a forum ...

I am glad you are OK now, Lisa. Take it easy and start thinking about ER. No amount of money can compensate for being incapacitated or a serious physical impairment.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #13820

Quote:
sitting on the patio watching the hummingbirds
DANGER!!!

Immediately move your chair around so you're looking at a cat.
Hummingbirds move way too fast for someone in your condition; you could have a relapse!

Seriously, glad it wasn't too serious.
Closed Thread