Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #13821
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Wow Lisa I am so glad you are ok! That had to have been such a frightening thing to go through!

Glad you are taking care of yourself. You may want to consider getting a home BP monitor just to make sure your BP is indeed ok.
We have one and I take my blood pressure every Friday morning (DH has high blood pressure so when he takes his I take mine). It's why I know that my normal pressure is low.

I've taken it today after a good nights sleep and a long walk and it's back to normal for me at 105/62 today.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #13822

Glad to hear you're okay for now, but yeah, you need to get out of that pressure cooker.

My day was laid back, went for a short motorcycle ride to pick up a prescription this morning (kinda chilly at 43° F) spread some weed killer, and played around with Photoshop.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #13823

Decided to get higher speed internet connection (switch from plain DSL to fiber), and the installer showed up about 8:30 this morning. He looked at what I wanted done, and said it would be the easiest job he's had all month. Should be done within an hour.

Six hours later, he finally left after tearing out half his hair, spending hours on the phone with his tech support people, and trying seven new boxes (modems, routers, switches) in the system.

The trouble turned out to be a bad card in the cross connection about 500 feet away.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #13824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
We have one and I take my blood pressure every Friday morning (DH has high blood pressure so when he takes his I take mine). It's why I know that my normal pressure is low.

I've taken it today after a good nights sleep and a long walk and it's back to normal for me at 105/62 today.
Oh, that is a relief!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 04-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #13825
Recycles dryer sheets

Lisa thanks for sharing, glad it wasn't serious, enjoy your week of relaxation.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:32 PM   #13826
Gone but not forgotten

Lisa , Glad you are okay ! What a scare ! Take care !
Old 04-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #13827
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Whew! I'm very glad to hear that.
This is a Big Red Flag from your body, telling you to ER.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #13828

Aced my Wildland FireFighter arduous fitness test with 2 minutes to spare. Who said ER would be easy, I haven't been out on a fire for two years, but at least I am ready. It was also raining and hailing, very unlike April weather here in SE AZ.

Work Capacity Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #13829

Picked up my Beetle, which qas getting new brakes, put the top down, and went for a spin. Rode my bike while my son ran alongside 4 miles, then spent some time with him. Fiddled on the computer, sorting through old photo files.

So far, so good.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #13830

took DW to qualify at the range for her CHL... had great dinner of a brisket that I cooked yesterday... bought a baby gift.. baby nail clippers... didn't know there was such a thing
Old 04-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #13831

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

Cambridge and Evanston? That's Uptown!

I will pass along the hello, not much I can do about the winter but... I may don the (Red) Sox cap again! Actually, I guarantee it
My sister lives in Cambridge, not me! She has always had champagne tastes on a beer budget, unfortunately.

When I lived in Evanston I lived on the "other side of the tracks" - I was a young worker bee for a couple of years between high school and college, and lived in a one-room studio apartment. Memories!
Old 04-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #13832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Whew! I'm very glad to hear that.
This is a Big Red Flag from your body, telling you to ER.
+100
Old 04-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #13833
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
My sister lives in Cambridge, not me! She has always had champagne tastes on a beer budget, unfortunately.

When I lived in Evanston I lived on the "other side of the tracks" - I was a young worker bee for a couple of years between high school and college, and lived in a one-room studio apartment. Memories!

I understood! Cambridge and Evanston are both fine.

I have bad news: yesterday I wore my "throwback" 80s Orioles cap (I have an unusual love of baseball caps). It's a bird with a silly grin

Old 04-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #13834
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I drove to the airport quite early to send my friend back to Florida.
Feeling rather alone; 5 days was enough to get used to having someone around.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #13835
Administrator

Work started on the new roof this morning. Still getting used to the noise and the easy with which they move around with tools and wheelbarrows.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:36 AM   #13836
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I'm going to take several days to rest and get my life back.

When I'm ready to think about work I'm going to do some soul searching to figure out what I do next, but I know it won't be back to the same pressure cooker. I have plans for a long and healthy retirement which means I have to get out of work alive!
I am so glad about the outcome to this episode, Lisa. I hope the docs can rule out any medical cause to your symptoms, too. Your coworkers and even your employer owe you big time as you showed just how stressful your workplace has become and that something needs to be done about it.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #13837
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Work started on the new roof this morning. Still getting used to the noise and the easy with which they move around with tools and wheelbarrows.
If you haven't already done it, be sure to throw a tarp or at least some plastic sheeting over anything stored in your attic if you want to protect it from a dirt bath.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #13838

Roofs are the subject of the moment.

Just got a call from USAA with the results of the claim I filed last week for hail damage to our 13 year old roof. They estimated the damage to be $16,000, so less my $5,000 deductible I'll be getting checks from them totaling $11,000.

Now the fun part - finding reputable roofing contractors to bid on the replacement.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #13839
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If you haven't already done it, be sure to throw a tarp or at least some plastic sheeting over anything stored in your attic if you want to protect it from a dirt bath.
Four things in our attic: air handlers, insulation, cables, and rodents. I may go up after the job is done to see how much new dirt is there, but it's a tight fit and my flexibility, if any, is mostly limited to attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Roofs are the subject of the moment.

Just got a call from USAA with the results of the claim I filed last week for hail damage to our 13 year old roof. They estimated the damage to be $16,000, so less my $5,000 deductible I'll be getting checks from them totaling $11,000.

Now the fun part - finding reputable roofing contractors to bid on the replacement.
USAA comes through once again. They are an excellent insurer, I'd love to have them. Finding a reputable contractor isn't that difficult. That is, unless you limit the reputation to very good or better.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #13840

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Finding a reputable contractor isn't that difficult. That is, unless you limit the reputation to very good or better.
Yes, there is always a catch!