Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #13901
Moderator Emeritus

Inspired by TromboneAl's thread, I ruthlessly sorted through my old CDs and decided to keep only about 5% of them. Most of the ones I didn't want were ancient backups and even more ancient software that doesn't work at all with 21st century operating systems. Since I had never gone through all of them before, I feel like this is a huge accomplishment. My CD stack is now only about 6-8 inches high, and I have a huge box that is full of useless CDs and ready for the trash. I only had less than a dozen music CDs so I kept all of them.

Later today we are headed to the gym followed by a light lunch together, and a long pleasure drive just for fun. The big line of storms sweeping the country is headed our way after that, but I suspect it may not come quite this far south. Looks like another wonderful, fantastic day of retirement just the way I always dreamed it might be back in the days when my username was Want2Retire.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #13902
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Bought some expensive running shoes today. Now my wife says I have to go out and run.
That's great Californiaman! I bought running shoes for walking, had no idea how expensive they are, however, they are very, very, comfortable! I actually went to a Running Store, where the salesperson watched my gait, measured my foot, showed me how to properly tie the shoes and made recommendations. This is what I ended up with:

image-4019928079.jpg

Today I washed a load of clothes and cleaned out 4 drawers.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #13903
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cleaning out the camper and getting it ready for our next excursion.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #13904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
That's great Californiaman! I bought running shoes for walking, had no idea how expensive they are, however, they are very, very, comfortable! I actually went to a Running Store, where the salesperson watched my gait, measured my foot, showed me how to properly tie the shoes and made recommendations. This is what I ended up with:

Attachment 18809

Today I washed a load of clothes and cleaned out 4 drawers.

Nice shoes - did they make you faster with laundry and cleaning?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #13905
Moderator Emeritus

Picked up a pile of quarter sawn white oak. Making a toy box for our niece's new baby. It should end up looking like the one on the right, except lighter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toybox.jpg (278.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #13906
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Picked up a pile of quarter sawn white oak. Making a toy box for our niece's new baby. It should end up looking like the one on the right, except lighter
Beautiful!!!

If the lid is heavy, you might want to take a look at ways to keep it from falling hard on baby's head or little fingers as he/she becomes older and more curious. I am sure you can figure out a way to slow down the lid's descent, and probably already have. Anyway, what a beautiful toy box, one that he/she will probably keep and cherish for years.

what did you do today?
Old 04-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #13907
Moderator Emeritus

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Beautiful!!!

If the lid is heavy, you might want to take a look at ways to keep it from falling hard on baby's head or little fingers as he/she becomes older and more curious. I am sure you can figure out a way to slow down the lid's descent, and probably already have. Anyway, what a beautiful toy box, one that he/she will probably keep and cherish for years.

Hopefully I can build one as nice as the one in the photo. I know what you mean about lid weight. They make special hinges and supports that prevent falling lids. I'm probably going with at least 2 lid supports. There are specifications how many are needed dependent on lid weight. So I'll build the lid, weigh it and support it accordingly.

I built one for her big brother 4 years ago and used supports and so far no smashed fingers to my knowledge. But I don't think he closes it since he has toys bulging out of it
Old 04-28-2014, 04:23 PM   #13908
Moderator Emeritus

Oh good! I'm glad you thought about that. It's just the mother in me, I guess, that compelled me to bring up the safety aspects. Sounds like you know a whole lot more about it than I do, so good!

Old 04-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #13909
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Us as well. Have a destination in mind? We're looking at upper NY and Maine.
The mountains of NM and CO. We've been doing a variation of that same trip almost every summer for the past several years. We keep talking about branching out but we really like those areas as a cool (literally and figuratively) respite to the TX heat. Why mess with success?
Old 04-28-2014, 05:06 PM   #13910

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The mountains of NM and CO. We've been doing a variation of that same trip almost every summer for the past several years. We keep talking about branching out but we really like those areas as a cool (literally and figuratively) respite to the TX heat. Why mess with success?

You're right - but we like changing it up a bit. Haven't been to Maine in 20 years, and we used to love it.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #13911

Spent the rest of the day reading Vonnegut novels...
Old 04-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #13912
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got the missing cable for the $1 headphones ($10) and I'm listening to music right now. Excellent. The noise canceling even blocks out Lena's gum chewing or requests that I take out the garbage. So I guess they are "Lena-cancelling headphones."
Old 04-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #13913
Give me a forum ...

To stay away from the heat, we just head up to our 2nd home at 7,000 ft elevation, and it's only 2-1/2 hrs away too. But a change in scenery would require that we head north. Colorado is nice, but we do not want to stop there.

Up, and up I drove my RV, all the way to Jasper a couple of summers ago. But we had to turn back home too soon as our son was hospitalized with a freak infection. Then, last year was mostly spent taking care of my own sudden illness.

Perhaps I will head north again this year, but will stay south of the 49th parallel this time. No definite plan as yet, but I need no stinkin' plan. I should be able to go as far and as long as I want. As my health permits, that is.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #13914

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
To stay away from the heat, we just head up to our 2nd home at 7,000 ft elevation, and it's only 2-1/2 hrs away too. But a change in scenery would require that we head north. Colorado is nice, but we do not want to stop there.

Up, and up I drove my RV, all the way to Jasper a couple of summers ago. But we had to turn back home too soon as our son was hospitalized with a freak infection. Then, last year was mostly spent taking care of my own sudden illness.

Perhaps I will head north again this year, but will stay south of the 49th parallel this time. No definite plan as yet, but I need no stinkin' plan. I should be able to go as far and as long as I want. As my health permits, that is.

+1
Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #13915
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nice day today in NYC. I went for a 7 mile run in Central Park, finished reading Otar's "Unveiling the Retirement Myth", and then met an old college friend out for dinner sushi. Another good day in ER-land.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:28 AM   #13916
Recycles dryer sheets

Just returned home from 4 days at my niece's house in the far western suburbs of Chicago. Wow, a pretty bumpy ride out of Midway this afternoon through all the storms in the midsection of the country.

Four days with family is pretty much my limit!

Looks like we'll get up to 90 degrees this week here in the east bay--must be offshore winds. We would trade that warm weather for several days of rain, however!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #13917
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
...So I guess they are "Lena-cancelling headphones."
DW cancelling headphones.

Priceless.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-29-2014, 06:48 AM   #13918

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Priceless.

I was thinking the same thing, gotta get me a pair of those.

I hope for his sake that Lena doesn't read the forum.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #13919
Give me a forum ...

I am taking a break from my portion of the work for the kitchen remodeling.

Yesterday, the contractor came to take final measurements and making a template for the countertops. Then, with our deposit check in hand, he went to the warehouse to pick up the two granite slabs that we chose earlier.

While he's cutting the slabs and finishing the countertops for Thursday installation, I have to prepare for the installation of 10-ft of new cabinets, such as running new electrical outlets. My wife is happy with the new cabinets, and the additional 10 ft of countertop. She's frugal and did not ask for replacement of the existing cabinets, but that means I will have to remove their doors and refinish them. But the more immediate job is to get ready to remove the plumbing and the fixtures. We should be out of water in the kitchen for only a day.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:39 PM   #13920
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

Priceless.

But they could turn out to be sex-cancelling headphones...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Closed Thread