Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #13921
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Worked on replacing the capacitors in my 1936 23 tube EH Scott receiver. About half done at this point.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #13922
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
Mid November (my six month checkup), my doc at my weight. Since then I've changed my eating habits and the pounds are slowly melting away. I'm doing this mostly for health reasons and of course a little vanity.
Well, it's been about 6 months and I got my blood work results today.

After months of better nutrition, exercising and losing a butt-load of weight (ok a little pun intended) I was thrilled to hear the news.

My bad cholesterol is down, my good cholesterol is up and most importantly my blood sugar is back to the normal range. If my sugar level had edged up just a fraction (from 6 months ago), I would have to start taking meds. Diabetes runs in my family and I was very concerned... I might eventually develop it but for now I'm outrunning it.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #13923
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Good going! DW has been fighting the same battle as you and has also managed to 'outrun' it. Stay after it!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:23 PM   #13924

That's good news! Keep on running.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #13925
Give me a forum ...

Diabetes is no fun.

Both my mother and my sister have to watch their glucose level now, as they are prediabetic. No, they are not overweight. I guess I will have to start eating less carb and more meat.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 PM   #13926
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Well, it's been about 6 months and I got my blood work results today.

After months of better nutrition, exercising and losing a butt-load of weight (ok a little pun intended) I was thrilled to hear the news.

My bad cholesterol is down, my good cholesterol is up and most importantly my blood sugar is back to the normal range. If my sugar level had edged up just a fraction (from 6 months ago), I would have to start taking meds. Diabetes runs in my family and I was very concerned... I might eventually develop it but for now I'm outrunning it.

Great news !
Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #13927
Give me a forum ...

Thanks everyone... Changing my habits was not easy, but after about four months I noticed it seemed the norm. I'm not doing anything radical, so I'm sure I can stick with my 'program'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Diabetes is no fun.

Both my mother and my sister have to watch their glucose level now, as they are prediabetic. No, they are not overweight. I guess I will have to start eating less carb and more meat.
I've read so much about diabetes, I was nearly cross-eyed. ....and yes, it's my understanding that slim people develop diabetes as well. That makes me think eating healthier makes more of a difference than losing weight. Of course when one eats healthier, at least a few pounds will come off.

The changes I made were eliminating sugar as much as possible. I get most of my sugar from fruit. I cut way back on 'white food'.... potatoes, rice, bread and pasta. My meals usually consist of olive oil, lots of veggies, nuts, chicken and seafood.

When I really crave a particular food, I'll eat it. But now I have a smaller portion. It's working for me and I hope it continues....time will tell.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:48 PM   #13928

Keep up the good work...
Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #13929

bbbamI, that is GREAT news!!!! Congratulations!!!

I have been battling prediabetes for 2 years now. It was brought on by high dose steroids. Has nothing to do with my weight, as I am fairly lean to start with. I had to do strict carb control for a while, but my body seems to be "healing" finally - not nearly as many spikes - even with more carbs - which I am thoroughly enjoying having back in my diet! I am now no longer prediabetic - hopefully it stays that way.

The other things I did that may have helped (in addition to low carb diet) are:

1) started taking 1 tsp psyllium husk prior to most meals to slow the digestion of my food through the gut
2) started taking 100 mg of CoQ10 instead of 50 mg daily
3) when I can, exactly 30 min after each meal I go for a 30 minute walk or ride the recumbent bike for 30 mins to use up the glucose and prevent the spike (this was REMARKABLY effective, just not always so easy to do)

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 04-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #13930
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
The changes I made were eliminating sugar as much as possible. I get most of my sugar from fruit. I cut way back on 'white food'.... potatoes, rice, bread and pasta. My meals usually consist of olive oil, lots of veggies, nuts, chicken and seafood.
Yay, you've got it right, despite the message from the ADA:

Old 04-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #13931
Give me a forum ...

We went on a day trip to Brookings, OR. I didn't have my surfboard, but the waves were small and nice:

It's exactly here that Lena got this shot in the past:

There were a lot of whales there, and I have some video of their spouts, but they are a little hard to see, so it's not worth uploading them.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:40 AM   #13932
Moderator Emeritus

bbbami - Congrats! great news on your health numbers and its good to see that someone lost the weight that I found
Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #13933
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Keep up the good work...
Thank you seraphim. Even tho I don't like the four letter word 'work', in this case, I'll make the exception. It does take work to improve our health sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
bbbami - Congrats! great news on your health numbers and its good to see that someone lost the weight that I found
.......I swear Ronstar, I can smell cookies baking and I gain a pound.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #13934
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
bbbamI, that is GREAT news!!!! Congratulations!!!

I have been battling prediabetes for 2 years now. It was brought on by high dose steroids. Has nothing to do with my weight, as I am fairly lean to start with. I had to do strict carb control for a while, but my body seems to be "healing" finally - not nearly as many spikes - even with more carbs - which I am thoroughly enjoying having back in my diet! I am now no longer prediabetic - hopefully it stays that way.

The other things I did that may have helped (in addition to low carb diet) are:

1) started taking 1 tsp psyllium husk prior to most meals to slow the digestion of my food through the gut
2) started taking 100 mg of CoQ10 instead of 50 mg daily
3) when I can, exactly 30 min after each meal I go for a 30 minute walk or ride the recumbent bike for 30 mins to use up the glucose and prevent the spike (this was REMARKABLY effective, just not always so easy to do)
Thank you simple....ummmm, super girl. Great info and congratulations to you!!!

I take psyllium husk as well. I take one tablet each day. I knew more than likely I wasn't getting enough fiber, so I started taking it in November. Another great thing it does is suppress my appetite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yay, you've got it right, despite the message from the ADA:

Thanks Al....

There is so much conflicting info out there. I had to wade through countless articles...and had to make the best decision and hope it worked.

I don't really think carbs are evil..it's just most times high carb foods can be high in calories. I'd rather eat a plate full of veggies than half a cup of pasta. At this point I'm averaging 1200 calories a day, so I take advantage of low calorie food as much as possible. I simply can not tolerate hunger pangs.

btw...love the beach photos!
Old 04-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #13935

bbbamI, Congrats!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #13936

Rainy day so stayed inside and played with the camera and an old 8mm movie projector.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #13937

Cooked three truly awesome racks of baby back ribs in the BGE. I've been doing this for about three years now, and I believe I've finally got the technique nailed. So much better than any restaurant ribs I've ever bought anywhere.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #13938

I just kind of sat in my recliner and goofed off all afternoon and evening. Felt good....
Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #13939
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd rather eat a plate full of veggies than half a cup of pasta.
To deal with the conflicting info, probably the best way to approach it is to measure you blood sugar after eating different things. Most agree that anything that spikes the blood glucose is bad. But it's tricky and error-prone, and no fun to be pricking your finger a lot.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #13940
Give me a forum ...

We are having a global warming day. In the first ten years we lived here, it never went above 60 degrees. Right now it is 70.

Nice bike ride:

We saw some whales after the ride, and I tried very hard to get some photos or videos, but failed.