Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:23 AM   #14001
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday morning was chores... Afternoon was art fest, SRV tribute band, then beef tenderloin on the grill with some sides and a glass or two of pinot noir.

Today need to weed and trim the front landscaping. Too much like w*rk...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #14002
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
Wow, I'm thinking it doesn't get much better than that!
It was a great day! But alas...Monday morning I will be back at w*rk. 😣

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #14003

Just got back home with DW after she finished her first half marathon.
I expect she'll get her feet back on the ground in a day or so.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #14004

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
After 8 years of caring for MIL DW and I spent the day moving her bed and what would fit into her new assisted living home. Currently in rehab after third hospitalization since Christmas for falls. Not happy about it one bit but tough. We provided a lake view suite with free room and board for 8 years plus I'd guess an average of 3 hours a day care from DW. We are done.

What's interesting is she's turned on us, lashing out. Totally disregards what we did for her for the last 8 years.

So we are tired and it's been a stressful week. But the good news is now we will have our freedom. Three years of boat anchored retirement wasn't all that fun.

So that's what WE did today: preparing for freedom. And no matter what she thinks or says, we know we're good people.
Dad moved from his condo to assisted living 18 months ago. He did quite well there for a while but he has recently been having more frequent falls. His last one was 4 weeks ago and he needed to go to a transitional rehab for a few weeks. It's time for him to be discharged and we are not sure if he'll be able to go back to his assisted living apartment as he is hesitant to use the walker alone and has been using a wheelchair.

My sister and I had a meeting yesterday with his care team and the director of his assisted living facility. They want him to try coming back and accepting more help if needed. The alternative is a nursing home. He's 88, been through much too much since widowed almost 3 years ago. He's never gotten nasty or ungrateful, he's just worn out, defeated and hoping to die soon.

My sister and I talked to him about the next step, either going back to his assisted living or moving to a nursing home. His hearing is so bad that we conversed by writing it all down and handing him the pad and asking if he understood. He followed along well and decided he would try to go back to assisted living.

His insurance already decided to discharge him a few days ago and his rehab facility asked me to appeal the discharge, which I did and he was extended for a few more days, so the change will be very soon.

I've already asked my sister that if he needed to move to a nursing home could we find one in my area instead of hers and she's fine with that. I'd like to see him more often. She lives close to him, travels often and rarely stops in to see him.

He always makes a joke that he'd like to jump out the window but he lives on the first floor. Not so funny when he asks us if either of us has a pill he could take and just go be with Mom.

H2ODude, you and your wife did a wonderful thing to care for her in your home. Enjoy your freedom. I hope she adjusts to her assisted living facility. My Dad settled in well once he admitted he belonged there. It was a very good move for him.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #14005
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Participated in* a private, invitation-only concert by Asleep at the Wheel, six time Grammy Award winning western swing band. The event took place Saturday night on a remote West Texas ranch, 40 miles northeast of nowhere Van Horn, TX.

*DW and I stayed with the grandkids while DD and SIL went to the concert. They spent the night sleeping in the car as there were no hotel rooms (or anything else) within 100 miles of the place...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Asleep at the Wheel.jpg (75.2 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #14006
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Participated in* a private, invitation-only concert by Asleep at the Wheel, six time Grammy Award winning western swing band. The event took place Saturday night on a remote West Texas ranch, 40 miles northeast of nowhere Van Horn, TX.

*DW and I stayed with the grandkids while DD and SIL went to the concert. They spent the night sleeping in the car as there were no hotel rooms (or anything else) within 100 miles of the place...

The Wheel is one fine reason to visit Texas. I hope it was a great show! I've seen them in Long Island and Illinois.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #14007
Give me a forum ...

Went to bed last night with a man in his 50's. Woke up this morning to the same man and he's 60.

I must be tough on guys.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #14008
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Went to bed last night with a man in his 50's. Woke up this morning to the same man and he's 60.

I must be tough on guys.

Woohoo!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #14009

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just got back home with DW after she finished her first half marathon.
I expect she'll get her feet back on the ground in a day or so.
Wow, that's great!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:07 PM   #14010
Give me a forum ...

I finished stripping the last of the kitchen cabinet doors. About half of them have been re-stained. Tomorrow, I will strip and stain the cabinet face frames in situ, rehang all doors then it's all done. It is a lot of work, but it provides an easy answer to that perennial question of "what ya do all day?".

The kitchen will (has) to look nice for the Mother's Day party that I am hosting this weekend.

I still do not know when I can start on my RV travel. Still have a couple of medical procedures before I am free, and it's getting hot here already with temperature in the high 90s.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #14011
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

I must be tough on guys.

Wow - he aged a decade overnight. Congrats! I'll be going through kind of the same thing soon. DW turns 60 in July.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #14012
Moderator Emeritus

I am recovering from yesterday's hike. Eight miles of steep terrain with a heavy backpack. But the view from the top was worth it!
Old 05-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #14013
Gone but not forgotten

Sent Congratulations and Love to DIL who gave notice of retirement from her lawyer position with the Federal Government at age 55. Son is also a lawyer, who plans to join her in retirement in a few years, after their three children finish college/grad school.

A bright future ahead.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #14014

So today is Day 4. Do you count the first weekend? And officially I am on vacation this week... At any rate I am hand waxing the vehicles for what seems like the first time in 10 years and loving it! I just got a new retirement ride and am about to put a coat on it before it hits the road. This is living. It seemed like when I was working I wouldn't want to take the time to do this because I was too busy focusing on 'relaxing'. Now thankfully, I don't have to focus on it anymore!
Old 05-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #14015

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I am recovering from yesterday's hike. Eight miles of steep terrain with a heavy backpack. But the view from the top was worth it!

Wasn't there a helicopter available? *grin*
Old 05-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #14016

Well, yesterday, actually, after 10 days on the market, our home of over 30 years went Pending. Our skillful realtors noodged our multiple over-asking offers a bit higher still. Yay, team!

We should close by month end and head back down to family and friends in SoCal, where we already have a house under contract.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #14017

Got through 6 episodes of Dexter and golf range practice after work. When all done, I went to sleep at 1:30 am. I need to quit my full time job. It has been getting in my way of having fun.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #14018

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Got through 6 episodes of Dexter and golf range practice after work.
Faster, faster - you have to get through Dexter faster. The series finale is great!

Old 05-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #14019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
So today is Day 4. Do you count the first weekend? And officially I am on vacation this week... At any rate I am hand waxing the vehicles for what seems like the first time in 10 years and loving it! I just got a new retirement ride and am about to put a coat on it before it hits the road. This is living. It seemed like when I was working I wouldn't want to take the time to do this because I was too busy focusing on 'relaxing'. Now thankfully, I don't have to focus on it anymore!
Congratulations!!! So what's the new ride?
Old 05-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #14020

Since yesterday was spent driving 90 miles each way to attend one meeting and then grabbing a burger before going to two more meetings about 15 miles from home, not much else got done (note, these meetings are all for a volunteer gig). So to make up for it today, I got busy after my morning walk and breakfast. Unfortunately, most of the morning was spent carefully drafting a note to a bunch of people who need to sit down together and solve a problem that never should have happened (action item from yesterday's meeting #1). Fortunately someone else is chairing the task force, but due to my role in the organization, it was best that I send out the initial e-mail.

Got papers related to my mother's estate in yesterday's mail, so e-mailed the estate lawyer in PA to find out what to do with them. Then finished a task for another volunteer gig that I had been avoiding for a month - updating the board member and recruitment spreadsheets and writing instructions so that the president's assistant can do this in the future. When I was elected board secretary 3 years ago, there was no documentation on this and basically the president just asked people to join the board whenever she felt like it, despite the fact that the bylaws call for directors to be elected in classes. So we now have the board governance committee discuss this each month and I've been keeping track of everything. But I'll only be on the board another year or two so time to get someone else to do this. Phew - that one felt good to cross off my to-do list.

After lunch (leftovers), I sent a note to the church secretary about some documents I need for a project on our endowment committee, checked out a special dinner that DH suggested we get tickets for (sounds yum), e-mailed our lawn service since they skipped us last week, and got plane tickets and rental cars for myself and DS to go to my mother's memorial service in MD in June. Got an e-mail back from the lawyer so filled out the papers and got them ready to mail.

Decided I had spent too much time at the computer so loaded up the Prius with newspapers to take to the elementary school for recycling. While I was out I picked up the documents from church and mailed the estate papers. Came back and caught up on the forums here after several days away.

Time for a glass of wine and cooking dinner - chicken curry and cauliflower and whatever else strikes my fancy.
Closed Thread