Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:23 AM   #14041
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And of course this class gave me an excuse to order a Better Beamer flash extender when I got home.
Admit it - you were looking for an excuse weren't you?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #14042
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
...If I turn into an old guy with millions in the bank who cannot bring himself to spend a bit of cash on having fun, will someone from this forum please put me out of my misery?
I will do it for you, but only if you tell me first where you bury that can full of Krugerrands.

Gee! Perhaps you do not really want that camera after all. That's OK. I thought for a long time about upgrading my RV, and decided that the purchase may just bring me buyer remorse and not enhance my travel experience at all, after all the mods I have done on the current one and know it inside out.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #14043

Quote:
Admit it - you were looking for an excuse weren't you?
Well, yes. It's been on the "wish list" there for at least a year but I couldn't think of a justification. Now I have one.

Reviews are almost all positive on it. It's a Fresnel lens for a flash. I'll probably bring a light stand or two but I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it without interfering with someone else's shot.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #14044

Went to NYC to visit a dear friend. Over Wednesday, back Thursday. We talk often but only visit a couple of times a year.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #14045
Dryer sheet aficionado

Been building a new road inside our property (30 hectares, or about 70 acres) - we have a beautiful mountain river at the bottom of our property, but getting there is rugged, so I am building a road so I can mountain bike to it.

Building a road with a backhoe is a lot of fun!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #14046
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Traveled in to the City (SF) to meet a guy who had a camera (an X100) for sale. It was a really good deal, with a lot of good accessories, and a very fair price. However, picky old me couldn't get past the few surface scratches on the body and the LCD screen. On top of that, it seems to be more menu driven than my DSLR. While sitting in the coffee shop, I couldn't figure out how it all worked and couldn't help thinking that if I got it home and something wasn't working, I had no comeback - as it was a cash sale from Craigslist.

I decided to go with my gut and pass on it. On the way back home, stuffed all the cash back in the bank and realized what a miser I have become, as it felt good to be putting that money back in my account.

The most I can get myself to spend on photography was the $43 I spent on 2 new batteries and a new shoulder strap for my DSLR this last week.

If I turn into an old guy with millions in the bank who cannot bring himself to spend a bit of cash on having fun, will someone from this forum please put me out of my misery?
If it was indeed a X100 and not a X100S, then you did well to pass on it. From what I read, the confusing menu and inaccurate autofocus were common sources of complaint on the X100. Both have been much improved on the X100S. A firmware upgrade for the X100 does exist, but perhaps this camera was not upgraded.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 AM   #14047
Administrator

Quote:
Traveled in to the City (SF) to meet a guy who had a camera (an X100) for sale. It was a really good deal, with a lot of good accessories, and a very fair price. However, picky old me couldn't get past the few surface scratches on the body and the LCD screen. On top of that, it seems to be more menu driven than my DSLR. While sitting in the coffee shop, I couldn't figure out how it all worked and couldn't help thinking that if I got it home and something wasn't working, I had no comeback - as it was a cash sale from Craigslist.

I decided to go with my gut and pass on it. On the way back home, stuffed all the cash back in the bank and realized what a miser I have become, as it felt good to be putting that money back in my account.

The most I can get myself to spend on photography was the $43 I spent on 2 new batteries and a new shoulder strap for my DSLR this last week.

If I turn into an old guy with millions in the bank who cannot bring himself to spend a bit of cash on having fun, will someone from this forum please put me out of my misery?
If your gut feeling was to pass on it, then I think you did the right thing. Those surface scratches would probably have bothered you more tomorrow than they did when you were looking over the camera in the coffee shop. Maybe you will come across an X100S without any scratches at all later on, or maybe it was not meant to be. For me, anyway, sometimes the dream of an acquisition far surpasses the actual purchasing experience. Other times, it doesn't and sometimes it's hard to predict.

What did I do today? Well so far, slept in. Pretty soon we will be heading for the gym and lunch, but it's still early.

Yesterday I had to get up two hours earlier because my painter came over and painted my new side door. The best thing about the new door is having the dream of a new door for years and finally having that dream realized so very perfectly. I get a thrill out of just opening and closing the door for no reason at all, because it works so smoothly. Ah, the little things in life..... they can make all the difference!

The keypad entry is wonderful to have and well worth the cost as well. The blinds that are inside the window and not exposed to dust and dirt are such a luxury too. Whether I end up moving from this house in a few years or not, still I am glad I went ahead with the door replacement.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #14048

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Gee! Perhaps you do not really want that camera after all. That's OK. I thought for a long time about upgrading my RV, and decided that the purchase may just bring me buyer remorse and not enhance my travel experience at all, after all the mods I have done on the current one and know it inside out.
There is definitely some kind of test going on to see how much I want it. I'm still not sure which side is going to win (that almost makes me sound like a schizophrenic with 2 personalities - a spending one and a frugal one!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
If it was indeed a X100 and not a X100S, then you did well to pass on it. From what I read, the confusing menu and inaccurate autofocus were common sources of complaint on the X100. Both have been much improved on the X100S. A firmware upgrade for the X100 does exist, but perhaps this camera was not upgraded.
It was an X100 with the most recent f/w update and although it was in good (not excellent) condition, there were a number of small concerns that, added together, made me decide to pass. Even though the f/w upgrade reportedly improved the X100 a great deal, I understand the the X100S is an even more worthwhile upgrade (faster processor, better placement of buttons, better menu system, improved focus-by-wire arrangement etc.) He had a Thumbs Up grip in the hot shoe and however hard we pulled, we weren't able to get it out. I am picky about even minor scratches on an LCD screen, as my plan was to cover mine with a good protector straight away. The minor scratches on the body I could have lived with, but after 20 minutes of trying to figure out the menu system I was beginning to realize that either a) I didn't want this camera as bad as I thought I did or b) I actually wanted a brand new X100S with a manufacturer warranty. At that point I decided to follow my gut and let him know that I was going to pass.

One thing I did notice though, was that as we were sitting in the coffee shop, I was taking a few pictures, and no-one seemed to mind. If I'd been doing the same thing with my DSLR, I would have received a few looks. With the X100S - nothing. It did feel like more of a "stealth" camera, and as I'm particularly interested in street photography, this was a welcome revelation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If your gut feeling was to pass on it, then I think you did the right thing. Those surface scratches would probably have bothered you more tomorrow than they did when you were looking over the camera in the coffee shop. Maybe you will come across an X100S without any scratches at all later on, or maybe it was not meant to be. For me, anyway, sometimes the dream of an acquisition far surpasses the actual purchasing experience. Other times, it doesn't and sometimes it's hard to predict.

What did I do today? Well so far, slept in. Pretty soon we will be heading for the gym and lunch, but it's still early.

Yesterday I had to get up two hours earlier because my painter came over and painted my new side door. The best thing about the new door is having the dream of a new door for years and finally having that dream realized so very perfectly. I get a thrill out of just opening and closing the door for no reason at all, because it works so smoothly. Ah, the little things in life..... they can make all the difference!

The keypad entry is wonderful to have and well worth the cost as well. The blinds that are inside the window and not exposed to dust and dirt are such a luxury too. Whether I end up moving from this house in a few years or not, still I am glad I went ahead with the door replacement.
I stopped being a homeowner about 10 years ago and have never owned that type of door. My first instinct on seeing them was that something mechanical could break down inside and would be hard to fix but based on the comments from others when you were first talking about it, it seems they are very reliable. In that case, it sounds wonderful. There is great pleasure in having things that function and enhance our lives. Doors can be pesky things sometimes. In this, and the last place I lived in (both rentals) my main door acted like a barometer, in that it reacted to the amount of humidity in the air. Only at certain times of year would it fit and operate smoothly. Enjoy your lovely new (and beautiful) door W2R!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #14049
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There is definitely some kind of test going on to see how much I want it. I'm still not sure which side is going to win (that almost makes me sound like a schizophrenic with 2 personalities - a spending one and a frugal one!)
No it doesn't
Yes it does
No it doesn't
Yes, it does
No, it doesn't
Yes, it does!
No, it doesn't!

"If you two don't stop that right now I'm gonna stop this car and put you out!"

No you won't
Yes I will...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #14050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Reviews are almost all positive on it. It's a Fresnel lens for a flash. I'll probably bring a light stand or two but I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it without interfering with someone else's shot.
Do animals react to it? In other words, do you have just one chance to get the shot or do they, for the most part, ignore the brief flash of light?
Old 05-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #14051

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No it doesn't
Yes it does
No it doesn't
Yes, it does
No, it doesn't
Yes, it does!
No, it doesn't!

"If you two don't stop that right now I'm gonna stop this car and put you out!"

No you won't
Yes I will...

You don't know how close you are. It's quite exhausting and I have only myself to blame
Old 05-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #14052
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It's quite exhausting and I have only myselves to blame
FIFY

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #14053
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I get a thrill out of just opening and closing the door for no reason at all, because it works so smoothly...
Now, the door is open.
Now, it is close.
It's open now.
Then, it is close.

Hey, aren't you going to wear it out?

I have a metal side door for my garage in the boonies home. It's sturdy and nice! This reminded me to replace the side door in this home that opens from the utility room. Metal exterior doors stand up to weather a lot better.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #14054
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

One thing I did notice though, was that as we were sitting in the coffee shop, I was taking a few pictures, and no-one seemed to mind. If I'd been doing the same thing with my DSLR, I would have received a few looks. With the X100S - nothing. It did feel like more of a "stealth" camera, and as I'm particularly interested in street photography, this was a welcome revelation.

It definitely does not have the in-your-face feel of a SLR.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:45 PM   #14055
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Now, the door is open.
Now, it is close.
It's open now.
Then, it is close.

Hey, aren't you going to wear it out?

I have a metal side door for my garage in the boonies home. It's sturdy and nice! This reminded me to replace the side door in this home that opens from the utility room. Metal exterior doors stand up to weather a lot better.
I hope I don't wear it out! The open/closed/open/closed sequence you described is exactly what I have been doing, and it is just beautiful to behold. The "click" when it closes is very satisfying.

This particular door is on a side of my house, where the wind is often greatly amplified due to whistling through a small channel between my house and the fence. At the same time, that door is often beaten very hard by the torrential rains we get from time to time. Like the doors at Major Tom's rental residence, it used to swell whenever it rained, to the point that I could not even open. My new metal door swings open and closed so easily.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #14056
Give me a forum ...

I baked a loaf of olive bread, did some exercise, and read. Also, vacuumed the floors and talked to my kids. I am wondering where all that extra time is to be bored??
Old 05-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #14057

Quote:

Once an LBYMer, always will be. I've tortured myself for 5 days on whether to buy an MX2 Midnight box ($100+) or not. At the end, I bought one but with a justification of canceling Netflix. The MX2 box would pay for itself in 10 months. After playing around with it for a few days, I've decided to keep Netflix.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #14058
Give me a forum ...

The problem with a life-long habit of frugality and delayed gratification is that we do not spend money easily. And the truth is that with time, we want less and the desire of something is easily cancelled out by the fear of buyer remorse if we get it.

And then, money represents the potential of converting that stored wealth into services, experiences, or material objects, but once we do that conversion, we don't have our money anymore. That potential is lost. And that potential is by itself something to behold. One can be just as happy counting his money and does not really have to spend it.

Do I sound like Uncle Scrooge just now?

"Money is much more exciting than anything it buys." -- Mignon McLaughlin

PS. Oh, there's another good quote from Mignon McLauglin that also explains our reluctance to spend.

"If it came true, it wasn't much of a dream." -- Mignon McLauglin
Old 05-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #14059

I talked to a guy three days ago about lawn maintenance for the summer (I will be traveling).

The crew showed up today, cleaned up everything and blew out. They are like Navy Seals!

Old 05-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #14060

Quote:
Do animals react to it? In other words, do you have just one chance to get the shot or do they, for the most part, ignore the brief flash of light?
From what I've read they ignore it. At those distances the flash is only powerful enough to highlight the animal, not fully illuminate it. I've taken some flash shots of robins under my deck and they didn't seem to mind.

Today I didn't do a thing except putz around on the computer and with the camera, and ponder how to light the feeding process when the eggs in the nest under the deck hatch. I've done it with direct flash in the past but the light is harsh and since I'm better equipped this time I'd like to do better. Also if the eggs hatch in time I can use the photos in the class I'm in for bragging rights.