Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #14141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Got another embedded tick removed - this time from my armpit. This stuff never happened when I used to work
Any symptoms since then? Don't discount anything.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #14142
Moderator Emeritus

Went on a hike to a high plateau with my dad, my sister, and an 80 year old grandmother who put us all to shame (she made it first to the top!). We had a picnic of bread, country ham, saussage, and white wine. Had a great time until the fog forced us to retreat.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1400924889.954731.jpg
Old 05-24-2014, 04:51 AM   #14143
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Any symptoms since then? Don't discount anything.
No symptoms. The doc gave me a prescription for a couple of antibiotic pills each time. Since then I've picked one tick from my leg without breaking it off. Also using a liberal amount of tick spray.

Yesterday I hiked about 10 miles without the spray and had no ticks. Hopefully peak tick season may be over
Old 05-24-2014, 05:01 AM   #14144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I had to clean my boat before AND after use. Just sitting, even with a cover, the boat collects a fair amount of dust and grime...
That is probably best practice but I loathe the idea of cleaning it in the fall only to have to clean it again in the spring, so I just wait until spring.

BTW, how in the world do they collect such dust and grime just sitting there covered? A mystery to me but it still makes me .

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #14145

A few weeks ago, we noticed that a red fox family had taken up residence under the garden shed in the back yard. Mom had two kits, and we have seen them practically every day foraging in the yard and surrounding woods.

The kits spend nearly as much time playing with each other as they do foraging, and it's a real joy to watch them. Here's one of them in the driveway just wondering what that camera click sound means.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fox kit.jpg (289.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-24-2014, 05:53 AM   #14146
Give me a forum ...

Just be careful if you have any pets. We believe a couple of our cats were prey of fox (many years ago). As for me, I'd shoo them away if they were near to my house.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-24-2014, 06:23 AM   #14147
Full time employment: Posting here.

My son and some of his friends were here last night and we stayed out until about 3 am hoping the Camelopardalid meteor shower would turn out to be a big one. We saw a few meteors but it was pretty much a bust. We had a nice fire, smores, and good company so no real downside but tired this morning!
Old 05-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #14148

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A few weeks ago, we noticed that a red fox family had taken up residence under the garden shed in the back yard. Mom had two kits, and we have seen them practically every day foraging in the yard and surrounding woods.

The kits spend nearly as much time playing with each other as they do foraging, and it's a real joy to watch them. Here's one of them in the driveway just wondering what that camera click sound means.

Hmmm...if I flagged this as inappropriate...so sorry! I'm on my iPad on my deck and trying to squish a little bug on my screen. Not a good thing to do when your reading on an iPad and not paying attention to where your finger is. I saw something that said flag as inappropriate and have no idea if I flagged it or not!
Old 05-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #14149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Hmmm...if I flagged this as inappropriate...so sorry! I'm on my iPad on my deck and trying to squish a little bug on my screen. Not a good thing to do when your reading on an iPad and not paying attention to where your finger is. I saw something that said flag as inappropriate and have no idea if I flagged it or not!
I just checked and didn't see any report of it to the moderator team. I agree, it seems quite appropriate! (Beautiful photo, Braumeister!) Hope you got the bug, at least.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #14150
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Thanks for reporting the bug.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #14151

Thank you!
Old 05-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #14152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Went on a hike to a high plateau with my dad, my sister, and an 80 year old grandmother who put us all to shame (she made it first to the top!). We had a picnic of bread, country ham, saussage, and white wine. Had a great time until the fog forced us to retreat.

Attachment 19016
Your time back home sounds like such fun, and so idyllic. What a wonderful region in which to have grown up. Also I am glad you are taking photos that you can look back on when you are away. The 80 year old grandmother sounds like quite an amazing person!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #14153

Well, I guess that's what I did today...killed a bug. Oh, might as well say what I also did. Went to a flea market in a very small town with my daughter. We walked more than 8000 steps looking at junk. We then had a nice lunch at a quiet outdoor table at a local lodge. Very nice day.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #14154
Moderator Emeritus

A short fence finally gave out from rot around a post base. So, I demolished it. The new post and rails are baking in the sun until I get around to installing them. The cedar boards that faced the old fence will be trimmed slightly and recycled onto the new fence.

It's the circle of lumber.

Or something...
Old 05-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #14155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
My son and some of his friends were here last night and we stayed out until about 3 am hoping the Camelopardalid meteor shower would turn out to be a big one. We saw a few meteors but it was pretty much a bust. We had a nice fire, smores, and good company so no real downside but tired this morning!
I only peeked a few times before going to bed ( ~ 11PM), maybe saw something once, but probably not. Was thinking of setting an alarm to wake up nearer the peak time of ~ 3AM, but I didn't. Reports say the hoped for potential 200/hour did not come to pass, and only ~ 5-10 per hour. Glad I didn't wake up.

But these would appear to move at about half the speed of the Perseids, so that would have been kinda cool. It was chilly last night, but no 'squitos either.

This is the first time the Earth has passed through this comet trail, I think they said gravitational pull from Jupiter kept it out of our path. Not sure if it will come again or not?

-ERD50
Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #14156

Tried another hand at light painting a photograph on the back porch. (Google that phrase and you'll find better examples.) It's neat in that every image is different. I want to try something bigger like a car but I need someplace very dark with lots of room to do it.

This just before the fan in the computer video card finally gave up the ghost. I'd been hearing intermittent fan bearing noises or a couple of weeks but couldn't isolate which fan but this time there was no doubt. So I had to get up early to get a new card before leaving with DW for her niece's husband's graduation party for his M.S. degree in IT.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #14157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs56 View Post
Changed the oil and greased the tractor, mower tractor, and Mule (Kawasaki). Took a ride back to the woods and found my usual quota of ZERO morel mushroomss. Not that I care that much for them myself, but I'd like to be able to brag that I found some...
Morel mushrooms were prized higher than gold in my family. I'd give a lot to go back about 45 years and spend a day with my Mom, Dad and brother hunting morels at the cabin in Michigan.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #14158
Give me a forum ...

Well, woke up, got up etc.

Yesterday at the camp was sitting on the deck when several deer walked out of the woods and performed some hedge trimming. A bit later a Doe walked out with a maybe one foot tall fawn in tow. Did not have camere handy, and did not want to move so not to startle them.

After the deer moved on decided that the deck needed a foot rest. So I proceeded to make one.

Here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0106.JPG (345.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #14159
Moderator Emeritus

Entertained an overnight house guest. My SIL's golden retriever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140524-DSC00949.jpg (407.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #14160

Started clearing a patch of lawn to put in raised beds. Decided to move the turf on the soil patch where my veggie garden has been. Breaking up the turf with a shovel was hard work! Better than the gym. Tomorrow I'll till the area and start leveling it. Probably will grow herbs this year.. No time for veggies.
Closed Thread