Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #14161

Went on a zip line canopy tour in Harper's Ferry, WV with DW, her sister & DH, her nephew & his DW, and their 8-year-old daughter. What a great day, we had a ball! I am pretty sure some of my fingerprints are permanently imbedded in some of those cables and fixtures. The hardest part is jumping off the platform - every instinct says "Hang on for dear life!" But a second later it's fun.

I shot a bunch of pictures, some of which even came out well despite not even looking through the viewfinder and just pressing the shutter button repeatedly. The trees aren't really that close, I was using a wide-angle lens so there is some distortion from that.

We stopped for pulled pork barbecue on the way home and crashed for a while at SIL's house. Everyone was pretty tired out. The weather was perfect, 75, light wind, and clear skies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zip_line-1.jpg (375.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Zip_line-2.jpg (304.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Zip_line-3.jpg (284.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Zip_line-4.jpg (307.8 KB, 20 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 04:37 AM   #14162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went to a pool party for Memorial Day. Rained like pee out of a boot...

I made a dish called Japanese noodle salad, called hiyashi chuka, though I didn't follow the recipe exactly. Rebel!

Basically, linguine broken into small pieces, cooked per usual, then green onions, bean sprouts, shredded cabbage, cherry tomatoes (halved), and kernel corn, with a dressing of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and ginger powders, and salt and pepper. Yum!
A lady friend came over early, and we grilled the ingredients for homemade salsa, also for the pool party. More yum!
Was designated grillmaster, so one round of chicken, and three rounds of burgers later (small grill), I ate way too much, and had a cold brew or three. Home in beached whale mode relatively early. Good day with friends.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-26-2014, 05:56 AM   #14163

DW and I went to see the new X-Men film, then came home for a quiet dinner. Earlier in the day she went to the beach with DD. When they returned DD reported seeing a small shark (baby?) in the water where people stand. Some kids were chasing the shark, encouraged by their parents.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #14164

Went out to lunch with DW, DD + BF to a local place adjacent to a shopping mall. The mall is packed. What is it about Memorial day that so many are out shopping?
Old 05-26-2014, 02:46 PM   #14165
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Went out to lunch with DW, DD + BF to a local place adjacent to a shopping mall. The mall is packed. What is it about Memorial day that so many are out shopping?
Shopping must be patriotic these days.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #14166
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did some morning gardening - mostly pruning and cutting back to declutter the front planters.

Then went for a walk with my wife on the beach.

Enjoyed some home grown salad and left over steak from last night (boy it tastes great cold sliced), and a cold beer for a lite lunchtime snack.

Now....just relaxing on the back patio with some jazz playing on the audio system.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #14167
Give me a forum ...

Packing up to go camping now that the pesky holiday weekend is almost over. Will be boon docking in a national forest in upper lower Michigan. (Holds up right palm and points to location, like a good Michiganian).
Old 05-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #14168
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, Travelover, I hear you about holidays.

I had it in mind to walk around our local reservoir today, early, before it warmed up. Halfway there it dawned on me that it was a holiday. Sure enough, the path was like a freeway. I normally walk it on a nice calm weekday morning.

I'm so glad I'm not working anymore and no longer have to cram fun things into holiday (or normal) weekends.

Stopped by our local family owned grocery store on the walk back to pick up ingredients for cucumber soup. Snipped the dill for it from a pot on my patio. It's "cooking" in the refrigerator now.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #14169
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what did you do today?

We spent five nights camped near Ogunquit Maine. Stashed ourselves there to wait out the holiday weekend. Left this morning for Camden. Stopped in Freeport, of course, and spent most the day at LL Beans. Picked up a nice lock knife for DW to tether to her PFD when canoeing, and a two wheel carrier to assist portaging the canoe. Found a couple of shirts for me 'we' like. Wore myself out. Found a beautiful sea kayak 'we' didn't like sufficiently to spend the money. *sigh*. finally hit Camden, and we'll hang here three nights before heading toward Moosehead Lake, where that kayak would have performed beautifully...
Old 05-26-2014, 05:26 PM   #14170
Administrator

Put out my flag. Took the roadster out of the garage and drove over to Mystic for lunch. Watched the Memorial Day parade while we were there. Drove the long way back, including a trip on the Chester-Hadlyme Ferry across the Connecticut River. Getting ready to grill some Aleppo Pepper Chicken Kebabs.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #14171

Quote:
The mall is packed. What is it about Memorial day that so many are out shopping?
Ah, that's why the gym was so deserted. We almost had the place to ourselves.

Woke up at 0400, did some photo editing, stopped by here, read the paper, made a four-egg omelet with ham & jalapeno peppers, then went back to sleep for two hours. Went to the gym with DW, mowed the grass, and I'll call it a day.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #14172

Quote:
Yesterday was "get out of the house" day so I went to see "Wolf of Wall St.". I didn't find it all that enjoyable or pleasant.
That was what was in store for movie night last night (my daughter 'found' the movie and downloaded the mp4). I found it just plain disturbing, through and through. And then people wonder why salesmen earn a bad name for themselves. NOT recommended!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #14173
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Flew in to Switzerland this morning for some vacation. I relaxed on my balcony for most of the afternoon, enjoying the splendid weather:
Beautiful view! Enjoy your trip.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #14174
Recycles dryer sheets

image-951689291.jpg

I bought a TV with some of my winnings from my Louisiana trip last week. The Geek Squad will be here Wednesday to install. 39" LED HDTV 120Hz smart TV.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #14175
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Enjoyed watching it rain for almost an entire day. A total of 4.5 inches, the most we've seen in almost three years. Our local lake has risen over four feet in the past 24 hours. Only 90 more feet to go until it is full.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 AM   #14176

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Enjoyed watching it rain for almost an entire day. A total of 4.5 inches, the most we've seen in almost three years. Our local lake has risen over four feet in the past 24 hours. Only 90 more feet to go until it is full.
That's a lot of water - and a lot still to go. How's the roof holding out?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:07 AM   #14177
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

By my rough calculation it will take more than 70 inches of rainfall over the relatively small watershed area to fill the lake. And that doesn't take into account evaporation...

The hail damage hasn't caused any roof leaks, at least not yet. I've scheduled the replacement for the first week in July. I hope I have to postpone due to rain...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #14178
Give me a forum ...

Great pictures FIREd.

Went on a picnic, and took the new freeway camera:

It's hard to get photos of the whales, but this was one of two guys chugging by like a freight train. They were heading north at about 4 MPH, very close to the shore:

I've never seen as many whales as I have this month.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 PM   #14179
Give me a forum ...

All done with my motorhome, which got its fluids changed, washed and waxed, I spent today just hanging around the forum, making quite a few posts, testing my meat thermometers and posted about that.

Just now, when my wife's 401k MF report came in, saw that the portfolio surpassed the last high-water mark set a few weeks ago by a few $K. More than that, I have spent a 5-figure sum since then, due to some one-time expenses.

Darn, how long can this good thing last? Can equities be the gift that keep on giving?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #14180

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Darn, how long can this good thing last? Can equities be the gift that keep on giving?
Well we know that over the long-term they (most likely) can, but to heck with the long-term - the here-and-now has been feeling very good these days. Long may it last