Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #14181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why do I keep feeling suspicious about this gift horse and want to look inside its mouth? Long in the teeth?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #14182
Moderator Emeritus

Had a pretty quiet day. Surveyed my dad's new land acquisitions. Picked up my niece from school. Had dinner with the family.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 AM   #14183
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rainy day...

Slept late, played on the internet, made lunch, played on the internet, went to the grocery store, played on the internet, made dinner, played on the internet, watched a movie, played on the internet. I'm exhausted

Old 05-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #14184

Bummer day. A nearby lightning strike yesterday afternoon did some electrical damage, including frying the low-voltage transformer in the furnace and a circuit board there, which in turn feeds the low voltage to the A/C. Hopefully anything downstream from that will be under warranty since the A/C is only a year old. It also flipped a four circuit breakers, burned out some light bulbs, fried a smoke detector and worst of all fried some part of my computer, which gave a "keyboard error" when I turned it back on. Nothing wrong with the keyboard since that's the one I'm using now. All this despite having a whole-house surge protector and a UPS with surge protection on the computer by itself. At least the refrigerator survived.

Bought six new smoke detectors and will replace all of them in the next few days. The fried one (they're the hardwired type) was much warmer than the others so that was a fire hazard in itself so I took that out right away.

Well, I was thinking about buying a laptop anyway, so that's what I'm using now. And I already hate Windows 8.1. "Charms tile"? WTH is that? So I'll have to order the big thick manual on Win 8.1 from Amazon tonight. Good thing I signed up for Prime the other day.

Didn't even make it to the gym today, which is normally a pretty high priority.

Fortunately the weather is forecast to be benign the next few days which is good since we have neither heat nor A/C until the ordered circuit board comes in. Hopefully nothing else downstream from that got fried too.

I have backups of the data on the tower PC but not looking forward to doing the restore to a different computer if I have to.

And to top it all off, while I was out buying smoke detectors DW tripped on the stairs to the garage, fell, and injured her right hand. We're still not sure if that's just bruising/sprain or something else. She talked to the Doc so it sounds like the former but we'll see.

On the bright side, I don't have a job so I don't have to go to work tomorrow so I'll have time to deal with all this!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #14185
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Signed and initialed many papers.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #14186
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Like.... a marriage license?

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #14187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Also signed and initialed many papers, having sold our home of nearly 31 years. We close Friday.

Next week: 450 miles south to our new place.
what did you do today?
Old 05-28-2014, 11:00 PM   #14188
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what did you do today?

Walt34,

Sorry to hear about your lightning strike.

When we had our new furnace and AC installed we also had a whole house surge protector installed. I don't remember all the particulars but there is a warranty included with it, for damage to things that should have been protected.

Ok, I found the paperwork on the Sycom SYC-120/240TC surge protector.....

"Damage from direct, catastrophic lightning hits are not covered under this warranty."

So, was this a direct hit, or was it somewhere nearby and caused a surge to your power? Our warranty covers electro-mechanical appliances $1500/item, maximum of $25,000 per occurrence.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:16 AM   #14189
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if the home insurance will cover lightning strike damages.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:27 AM   #14190
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I wonder if the home insurance will cover lightning strike damages.
+1

Had similar occurrence with nearby lightning strike~12 years ago; homeowners insurance covered it. Seemed to be random stuff that took the hit, garage door opener, water heater control module, cordless phone base station (like I said, years ago), and some of the house wiring. Did the troubleshooting myself but opted to hire electrician to do the repairs, who stared at me like "right, so you know exactly what the problem is and where the fault is." When he verified exactly what and where the problem was, right where I told him it would be, he silently completed the work with no more eye rolling.

I felt is was best to have a receipt showing 'professional repair' in case any further issues cropped up down the road. Insurance company reimbursed me for materials replaced and electrician's bill with no fuss whatsoever.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:17 AM   #14191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Good thing I signed up for Prime the other day.
LOL!
Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:36 AM   #14192
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Walt, sorry to hear about your problems. Lightning strikes can be a real pain to deal with and the damage can be random and strange.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 AM   #14193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Bummer day. A nearby lightning strike yesterday afternoon did some electrical damage, including frying the low-voltage transformer in the furnace and a circuit board there, which in turn feeds the low voltage to the A/C. Hopefully anything downstream from that will be under warranty since the A/C is only a year old. It also flipped a four circuit breakers, burned out some light bulbs, fried a smoke detector and worst of all fried some part of my computer, which gave a "keyboard error" when I turned it back on. Nothing wrong with the keyboard since that's the one I'm using now. All this despite having a whole-house surge protector and a UPS with surge protection on the computer by itself. At least the refrigerator survived.
That's bad luck, sorry to hear about it. Keep your receipts and call your insurance agent ASAP, this sounds claim worthy.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #14194
Give me a forum ...

We got a surge hit and they did cover us. The one do over, I wish, I went out and replaced an old flat screen with a new one. The adjustor said since we had the paperwork on the old TV they would have to given us the 3k we had paid a long time ago. Instead they gave us $500.
Best wishes,
MRG
Old 05-29-2014, 08:28 AM   #14195

what did you do today?

Sorry to hear about the lightning strike Walt. We went through something similar last year. Lightning strike was about a mile away that created a power surge at our house. Whole neighborhood had power knocked out for 2 days. Fried our oven, a ceiling fan, water treatment system, and a few strip surge protectors. Water system only needed a new fuse. The $ damage was less than our insurance deductible, so it didn't put in a claim.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #14196

what did you do today?

Been on the road for three weeks. Spent the past four days in Camden, ME. Got some OK photos - nothing worth mentioning. Up on Mt. Battie two days ago, in the shifting fog, trying to get some photos of the harbor framed in fog. Didn't work out so well lol. The fog was either too thick or too wispy. Ate dinner out last night for our 37th wedding anniversary. DW started feeling ill after that. It's currently in the mid fifties, and if DW feels well enough, we'll put the canoe out in the harbor for a few hours. Tomorrow, we head to Lily Bay on Moosehead Lake. No specific plans after that.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #14197

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1401373670.784783.jpg
Old 05-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #14198

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1401373766.251970.jpg
Old 05-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #14199

Sorry about the lightning hit Walt34- we had a power surge in December during one of the heavy snows and ice. Flipped a lot of breakers, especially the new "arcfault" breakers we had to use when we built the new guest cabin. One of those breakers also was fried and had to be replaced at $50 each. Biggest issue was the controller on the furnace blower motor went out, took a few days to get the part but found another motor/controller to use in the interim or would have been quite cold!

I bought a new laptop recently as well and really don't like Windows 8.x.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #14200
Give me a forum ...

Just returned from visiting my daughter ,SIL & grandsons . It was a good trip with lots of grandchildren time but traveling is getting to be a hassle.There are no more direct flights so I have to take two planes and then drive for 2 and a half hours to get to her house .I love to travel but I hate the travel days .