Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #14241
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after counting all that money...
Filthy lucre!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:39 PM   #14242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Off, you say? That's what they'd like you to believe! Would you bet your sweet bippy on that?
I had to look up the Web for the meaning of the word bippy. I will refer readers to this thread on another forum.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #14243
Full time employment: Posting here.

Met the young woman -- with her parents, sister, and boyfriend-- who now own our house in the Bay Area.

I am SO happy she will have it.

Sometimes family is not blood relations.
Today makes it so much easier to leave my home of 31 years because I know who's carrying on.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #14244
Moderator Emeritus

Ran a separate 220 volt, 30 amp circuit for my old 4 HP air compressor. Was not fun as attic was hot and a 2 X 4 fire break in the garage wall was in the way.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:07 PM   #14245
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Flew back from Florida.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #14246
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by w2r View Post
as for me, i had fun with numbers today (many here love numbers too and know just what i mean by that). I closed my may records of every cent spent, made sure the income and spending and balance left was exactly consistent, did all the usual categorizations and computations, and finally began june.

I like doing this and it helps to keep me grounded in reality. Maybe a little ocd but so what.

image-2768218542.jpg
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #14247
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As for me, I had fun with numbers today (many here love numbers too and know just what I mean by that). I closed my May records of every cent spent, made sure the income and spending and balance left was exactly consistent, did all the usual categorizations and computations, and finally began June.

I like doing this and it helps to keep me grounded in reality. Maybe a little OCD but so what.

You're not the only one, I get a lot of satisfaction doing this at the end of every month, too. May was one of our more expensive months, garden start up expenses, DH flying out to see his Mom and a few other things that just happened to fall in May. But we still SAVED some money this month so it's all good.

As of June 1, DHs pension includes his fourth COLA, which is just lovely and always appreciated. And that means that I get to redo the monthly income vs outgo spreadsheet. Fun times!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #14248
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
You're not the only one, I get a lot of satisfaction doing this at the end of every month, too. May was one of our more expensive months, garden start up expenses, DH flying out to see his Mom and a few other things that just happened to fall in May. But we still SAVED some money this month so it's all good.

As of June 1, DHs pension includes his fourth COLA, which is just lovely and always appreciated. And that means that I get to redo the monthly income vs outgo spreadsheet. Fun times!
Sounds great! Thanks. One of the great things about this forum is that there are some others who, like me, get a kick out of doing this sort of thing.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #14249

Having reached the FI parte of FIRE - but not the RE part... I hesitate to post this. But it was fun and I want to share.

I went to see Los Lobos last night. I have been a fan since about 1980/81ish. I have seen them about a dozen times - but this was the first time in a decade. The band AND the audience were all 30+ years old. Didn't matter. They still have it - they were awesome.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #14250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds great! Thanks. One of the great things about this forum is that there are some others who, like me, get a kick out of doing this sort of thing.
I believe that is what brings many of us here. I really like working on my spreadsheets.

Somebody here I think once wrote what good is having money if all you do is look at numbers on a page. Personally, I would rather look at my numbers than buy a designer purse. Those numbers represent financial security and freedom from long work hours and oppressive megacorp policies and bosses.

My purse broke and DH helped me pick out a new one. We were both shocked at some of the prices of designer purses, even at supposed discount stores like TJ Maxx.

The interesting thing we did recently is come across a wild turkey in our neighborhood trying to join a deer herd. The turkey used to be in a gang of 5 or 6, but we suspect the others became road kill or were eaten by coyotes. This guy has been all alone for a few weeks now. Last night he was hanging out with some deer in the open space, trying to fit in. I felt bad for him. I don't think he can keep up with them long term even though they weren't shooing him away. I hope he finds some new turkey friends to hang with soon.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:22 AM   #14251
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I believe that is what brings many of us here. I really like working on my spreadsheets.

Somebody here I think once wrote what good is having money if all you do is look at numbers on a page. Personally, I would rather look at my numbers than buy a designer purse. Those numbers represent financial security and freedom from long work hours and oppressive megacorp policies and bosses.

My purse broke and DH helped me pick out a new one. We were both shocked at some of the prices of designer purses, even at supposed discount stores like TJ Maxx.
Finding the perfect purse is difficult but when finally found, it's almost miraculous. After trying several purses (and getting teased about being almost purse obsessed), earlier this year I *finally* found the perfect purse (for me... every woman has a different perfect purse, I suspect). Anyway, I thought I'd pass it along.

It is amazingly utilitarian and I have no desire to ever try another purse. I never lose my keys any more due to the key leash thingie, and for the first time I have more pockets and compartments than I will ever need. Plus, it is extremely lightweight and seems quite durable. It did cost $35 which is ridiculous, but oh well. Today it is $40, even worse.

- - H. Melville, 1851
what did you do today?
Old 06-02-2014, 11:31 AM   #14252

what did you do today?

I am a one purse at a time person, and I like a small purse. I find one that I like and keep it a long time. My current one was a marked down/discontinued/one day sale bargain from a Coach Outlet store. I think I've had it 7 years.

My purse has to be able to fit in the glove box of my car, so the size and shape is important.

It's still my favorite, although it's starting to show some age......just like me.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #14253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Finding the perfect purse is difficult but when finally found, it's almost miraculous. After trying several purses (and getting teased about being almost purse obsessed), earlier this year I *finally* found the perfect purse (for me... every woman has a different perfect purse, I suspect). Anyway, I thought I'd pass it along.

It is amazingly utilitarian and I have no desire to ever try another purse. I never lose my keys any more due to the key leash thingie, and for the first time I have more pockets and compartments than I will ever need. Plus, it is extremely lightweight and seems quite durable. It did cost $35 which is ridiculous, but oh well. Today it is $40, even worse.
Oh, I like that. I will keep that in my Amazon wishlist for the next time I need a new purse. I found one that looks almost exactly like that at Ross yesterday, so I am set for now. We also bought a leather needle to fix up my old purse to use as a spare.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #14254
Moderator Emeritus

I've nicknamed my DW as the "Queen of Purses" (but she isn't buying shoes as frequently).
Old 06-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #14255
Give me a forum ...

Paid $2.94 a gallon to fill up truck, $.55 off a gallon! Got groceries, guy with sign asking for handouts in parking lot. Says he's traveling with kids needs food.
I normally don't get involved, but this isn't an area I've ever seen begging in. Few weeks back Taco Bell messed up my order give me ten dollar rain check. Stopped and gave it to him, in broken English, he's extremely grateful.
MRG
Old 06-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #14256
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My nose was itchy earlier this morning. Thought my allergy was returning, but now I know someone might be talkin' about me.

But I don't have to do much to count. Quicken does it all for me. It counts to the penny, but displays some fields to the dollar. Good 'nuf for me.

Speaking of setting new milestones, why do we pay more attention when a digit rolls from a 9 to a 0? I am too far from the next 7th digit roll-over to hold my breath, but even the 6th digit roll-over has been elusive. I came close to it earlier this year, but then the market ebbed. Then I came close again last month, but due to withdrawal I could not set a new high. Well, if I added the expenses back to the total, then the portfolio did indeed set a new high, but it is not the same thing.

Anyway, I finally breached that mentally important milestone last week, only to lose it again on Friday. Today, Quicken's bottom line is mounting another assault and succeeds even before MF results are in, due to near real-time update of stock prices (Quicken has a 20-min stock price delay). Tomorrow will be another story as the future unfolds. Fun stuff!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #14257
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Brought cat back from boarding; combed and washed.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:13 PM   #14258

We took the first withdrawal from DW's ROTH IRA today. Set up an automatic monthly withdrawal. Kinda felt like the day we got our first pension check. Our WR is less than 1 percent, we will ramp it up to maybe 2% over the course of the next few years.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #14259

Went kayaking on my favorite lake. The 10% chance of rain was 100%, hit while in the middle of the lake. In my kit alwas is a rain poncho. For the first itme in 5 years it was put to use.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #14260
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My nose was itchy earlier this morning. Thought my allergy was returning, but now I know someone might be talkin' about me.

But I don't have to do much to count. Quicken does it all for me. It counts to the penny, but displays some fields to the dollar. Good 'nuf for me.

Speaking of setting new milestones, why do we pay more attention when a digit rolls from a 9 to a 0? I am too far from the next 7th digit roll-over to hold my breath, but even the 6th digit roll-over has been elusive. I came close to it earlier this year, but then the market ebbed. Then I came close again last month, but due to withdrawal I could not set a new high. Well, if I added the expenses back to the total, then the portfolio did indeed set a new high, but it is not the same thing.

Anyway, I finally breached that mentally important milestone last week, only to lose it again on Friday. Today, Quicken's bottom line is mounting another assault and succeeds even before MF results are in, due to near real-time update of stock prices (Quicken has a 20-min stock price delay). Tomorrow will be another story as the future unfolds. Fun stuff!
I'm getting close to a number, too.... each time the stock market surges, it teases us, getting a little closer and then falling back. Sort of like surf, in a rising tide... Kind of fun!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread