Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #14301

Yes, free money is a good thing.

Sprayed weed killer around the yard.

Set up a wireless router. Now DW can putz around on the other computer while I'm busy doing important stuff on this one.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #14302
Recycles dryer sheets

Couldn't take another 100 degree day here in the east bay in my non-AC flat, so decided to go to the beach.
Weather in Half Moon Bay (south of SF) said foggy and 60--too cold!
Decided to drive to Stinson Beach (in Marin County north of SF). It was 75 with just a touch of the marine layer drifting on shore. Just right.
Took me an hour and a half to drive there, even on a Monday morning after rush hour, but it was worth it. If I had left an hour later (11am) it would have taken longer. Other folks had the same idea as I did to escape the heat.
Drove back through the city around 2pm. The Golden Gate was fogged in, but the city was sunny.
Still 100 here in Lafayette. Hope the onshore winds pick up tomorrow.
So glad I can take these spur of the moment little trips during the week!

Old 06-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #14303

Just finished a leisurely drive from S. Fl to Chicago. Our highway infrastructure is amazing. It's also in pretty good shape, and maintenance budgets seem to be picking up again.

Anyone thinking the economy is slowing needs to take a drive on a highway. We saw more autotruck transports this trip than any time since '06. Also saw something new: a huge RV with a Hummer in tow.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #14304
Recycles dryer sheets

Had a nice half day hike up a trail in NM. Great View. Seems I am in better physical shape than I though, which is good, considering the plans I have for later in the summer.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #14305
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I rose early to meet the Bennington boat dealer and take a demo ride on the river.. beautiful, quiet morning on the Brazos river in central Texas... looks like we have a boat in our near term future. DW loved it and I feel the need to fish!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vp3469643_5_large.jpg (35.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #14306
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Ah, a pontoon boat. We had great fun with ours for a few years - until the lake dried up...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 06-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #14307
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"So bye-bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry"

Oops, wrong song!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #14308

'toons have come a long way in the last 10 years or so... pretty nice boats. I know they are just 'holes in the water to throw money in' but since we're not interested in traveling abroad or taking a cruise, we'll just cruise around the lake a bit.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #14309
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
'toons have come a long way in the last 10 years or so... pretty nice boats. I know they are just 'holes in the water to throw money in' but since we're not interested in traveling abroad or taking a cruise, we'll just cruise around the lake a bit.
Haven't owned a 'toon, but have researched them a bit. I like the Suncruiser models, at least the ones with aluminum decks.

But, like ReWahoo, the lakes are all dry around here...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #14310

Tailgate, if you haven't considered it already be sure to shop used boats. There should be some real bargains in the Texas market about now. We bought our gently used pontoon boat used, kept it for five years and sold it for almost what we paid for it.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #14311

REwahoo, there are tons of great deals on bass boats and v hulls..not so many good pontoons that are in good shape. I know I'll take a hit on depreciation, but a Bennington has a 7 year front to back warranty..motor has 3 years. That's some peace of mind with a new product. Granted, if I found the right used toon, I'd go for it.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #14312

Hey, it's only money...

Old 06-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #14313

We drive past a cemetery on the way to and from the gym. I like photographing flowers, and sometimes pay actual money for the flowers.

It dawned on me that people put fresh flowers on graves and I could simply go there and photograph them. The flowers, not the graves. DW says that's weird and somehow not right.

As long as I don't touch, disturb, molest, mutilate, fold or spindle the flowers, would it be somehow disrespectful or offensive to the dearly departed or their relatives if I photographed the flowers?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #14314
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We drive past a cemetery on the way to and from the gym. I like photographing flowers, and sometimes pay actual money for the flowers.

It dawned on me that people put fresh flowers on graves and I could simply go there and photograph them. The flowers, not the graves. DW says that's weird and somehow not right.

As long as I don't touch, disturb, molest, mutilate, fold or spindle the flowers, would it be somehow disrespectful or offensive to the dearly departed or their relatives if I photographed the flowers?
Walt, if you do it in a respectful manner, I think it would be fine. If I had put flowers on the grave of a loved one, it would make me happy to think that they are beautiful enough for someone to stop and photograph them. It's a compliment to whoever chose the flowers, IMO.

BUT - - that said, I wouldn't talk, laugh, or behave any differently than you would in church while you are taking the pictures, out of deference to the possibly still tender feelings of the bereaved should they wander by.

(signed: W2R, a.k.a. The Emily Post of Early Retirement)

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 06-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #14315
Give me a forum ...

I have business in town, and needed to drive down from the "mountain" home. Yesterday, at 6PM, wife said "How about driving down now to avoid the heat, instead of during the day tomorrow?". So we just jumped in our car and took off. Came back into town near 9PM, and it was not too bad.

Today, I just came back from an errand in the middle of the day, and boy oh boy, it is HOT! The temperature is 109F, same as when we left, but the dew point has moved up from 20F to 48F. Could that make that much of a difference, or was it caused by my being reconditioned to the cool air at high elevation so quickly?

Anyway, how can people live in places with temperature in the 100+F, and with the dew point nearly as high? I would die of heat stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
No, I think it shows your admiration of the flowers and respect for the people who put them there.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #14316
Recycles dryer sheets

You would love Qatar in July, 115 -/+ and mid 80s dew point. Who knew jeans could weight that much?
Old 06-10-2014, 04:30 PM   #14317
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by springnr View Post
You would love Qatar in July, 115 -/+ and mid 80s dew point. Who knew jeans could weight that much?
When it is soaking wet with sweat, I can imagine that.

Not too long ago, a poster complained that it was hot in Hanoi where he was visiting. So, I looked it up out of curiosity. Temperature of 109F same as here, but with humidity in the 90%. ARGHHH!

PS. My wife already wants to go back to the high-country boonies home on Thursday, as we no longer need to be in town.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #14318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Nice looking boat! We have a pontoon and it's not the money pit that most people think. I spend less than $200 a year in gas and maintenance cruising around a couple of times a week during the summer
Old 06-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #14319
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Not too long ago, a poster complained that it was hot in Hanoi where he was visiting. So, I looked it up out of curiosity. Temperature of 109F same as here, but with humidity in the 90%. ARGHHH!
Won two all expense paid cruises in the Gulf of Tonkin, the flight deck always seemed to have a nice breeze though. It is a sunny 58.8 degrees here with a light offshore breeze funneling down the straits today. Mowing, cutting hedges back....
Old 06-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #14320
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by springnr View Post
Won two all expense paid cruises in the Gulf of Tonkin, the flight deck always seemed to have a nice breeze though...
I do not know about food, drink, and room service on your cruise, but I am sure it beat a long vacation some got booked at the Hilton for the land package.

Finally got off my butt, went to the SSA.gov site to download the benefit calculator, then spent two hours to round up my tax records and entered in the income data. It should not take that long, except that 3 annual tax folders were misplaced and had to be looked for.

Now, I know how much we will be getting, whenever we want to claim it after 62. I entered some tentative SS benefits into FIRECalc, then tweaked the WR until the point of failure instead of the conservative WR I am spending now.

Result: I can immediately spend $65K/yr more than what I do now. OK. I am not going out to buy a Tesla or anything. It's just nice to know. That's all.

PS. No, it's not going to be as high as $65K after tax. The gummint will relieve me of some of that money.