Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #14321

Went to the cemetery to photograph flowers. Stopped by their office to make sure it was okay with them and not offensive to anyone.

Then found out all are silk or at least the dozen or so that I looked at. But one doesn't notice until within an arm's length.

Somebody has a good business making silk flower arrangements - I saw no duplicates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silk_flower.jpg (140.1 KB, 17 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #14322
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh Walt! Could it be time for you to get an appointment for an eye exam to update your prescription glasses?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-11-2014, 04:26 PM   #14323
Give me a forum ...

Got a letter from my insurance company, that administers the FEMA flood insurance on my house. The letter said that my annual flood insurance premium, due next month, would be increased by 25% if within two weeks I didn't provide any one of several listed documents which would serve as proof that I am living in my home. One of these proofs that I could provide, was the auto insurance card this same insurance company just sent me.

So, I called my insurance agent's office and got that straightened out. Sometimes I think the world has gone looney-tunes while we weren't looking.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #14324
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I do not know about food, drink, and room service on your cruise, but I am sure it beat a long vacation some got booked at the Hilton for the land package.
Quite a few of the gents that switched to the Hilton accommodations were on day excursions from the cruise.

Ok, enough with what I did yesteryear posting on the, what did you do today thread. Coffee so far, will head out soon for another round with my new EGO 56V Lithium Hedge Trimmer. I’m impressed so far, cordless may be best for some applications.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Connie at Sunset.jpg (31.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #14325
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I forgot that travel by air is the most expedient way to many exotic places. And with the total land-sea-air package, one usually gets the extended stay with no extra charges. It's a trip of a lifetime, a true life-changing trip as they say.

Anyway, we are done with what we came back to town for: to visit a wedding venue with our daughter and her fiance. We are going back to the high elevation today. Can stand this heat no more!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #14326
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Got a letter from my insurance company, that administers the FEMA flood insurance on my house. The letter said that my annual flood insurance premium, due next month, would be increased by 25% if within two weeks I didn't provide any one of several listed documents which would serve as proof that I am living in my home. One of these proofs that I could provide, was the auto insurance card this same insurance company just sent me.

So, I called my insurance agent's office and got that straightened out. Sometimes I think the world has gone looney-tunes while we weren't looking.

If you couldn't provide the card they mailed to your address, it's evidence you don't really live there. Lol.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:41 AM   #14327
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
If you couldn't provide the card they mailed to your address, it's evidence you don't really live there. Lol.
You're right! That would sure be evidence that I didn't live there (and was even crazier than they are).

If I couldn't provide it on a daily basis (or whenever driving my car), I would be in a world of trouble. Not only would I have completely wasted my $1344/year car insurance premium , but also it is illegal in Louisiana to even drive without the card. You literally cannot even talk to the motor vehicle department without the card in hand, so forget renewing one's registration. Heaven forbid getting stopped for a ticket or at a checkpoint, or having an accident without that card, because IIRC they would impound the car and take away my driver's license.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #14328
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You're right! That would sure be evidence that I didn't live there (and was even crazier than they are).

If I couldn't provide it on a daily basis (or whenever driving my car), I would be in a world of trouble. Not only would I have completely wasted my $1344/year car insurance premium , but also it is illegal in Louisiana to even drive without the card. You literally cannot even talk to the motor vehicle department without the card in hand, so forget renewing one's registration. Heaven forbid getting stopped for a ticket or at a checkpoint, or having an accident without that card, because IIRC they would impound the car and take away my driver's license.
In Texas, you just get a ticket if you can't provide the "card" to a patrol officer. One time DW got pulled over (speeding on a feeder road) and couldn't locate the card in her glove box. I took the ticket to the Houston main courthouse to pay and brought the whole insurance policy since the "card" was lost. The clerk taking my $50 in cash to pay the fine would not accept the issued policy as proof of insurance!

I had to request a supervisor to come and rescue this situation since I did not want to drive back to town with a new "card"! I guess those cards are pretty important!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #14329
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
In Texas, you just get a ticket if you can't provide the "card" to a patrol officer.
Not necessarily.

Although TX law still says you need a card the TexSure Vehicle Insurance Verification program that went online last summer means some law enforcement agencies won't need to ask for it - like the TX Highway Patrol who pulled me over for speeding (68 in a 60 zone) last week...
Quote:
...the proof of insurance card should be carried at all times. The law requires "the motorist or operator of a vehicle to provide evidence of financial responsibility." Further, Transportation Code 601.053(c) as added by the 83rd Texas Legislature requires a peace officer with access to the verification program to check insurance coverage through TexasSure prior to issuing a citation to a driver who cannot present their insurance card. It is important to note that not all law enforcement agencies have access to the system.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #14330
Give me a forum ...

But I am not in Texas. I am in Louisiana. (Isn't everybody? ) In Louisiana, my best understanding of what happens is:
Quote:
B. When a law enforcement officer stops a vehicle at an administrative violations checkpoint, or in connection with an alleged violation of the law, or for any other reason, or when a law enforcement officer investigates an accident, the law enforcement officer shall determine if the owner or lessee of each vehicle is in compliance with the provisions of this Section which require evidence of liability insurance or other security to be contained in the vehicle. If the owner or lessee is not in compliance with those provisions, the law enforcement officer shall take the actions specified in this Section.
C.(1)(a) If the operator of a motor vehicle is unable to show compliance with the provisions of this Part by displaying the required document when requested to do so, the motor vehicle shall be impounded and the operator shall be issued a notice of noncompliance with the provisions of this Part on a form to be provided by the department. Notwithstanding the provisions of R.S. 32:852(E), such notice may be sent by first class mail. A copy of the notice of noncompliance shall be provided to the towing or storage company and a copy shall be forwarded to the office of motor vehicles within three calendar days after the notice of noncompliance was served. The notice of noncompliance shall serve as notice of administrative hearings rights. In addition, the law enforcement officer shall remove the license plate from the vehicle if the vehicle is registered in Louisiana. The law enforcement officer shall deliver the vehicle license plate to the chief of the agency which employs the officer, or to a person in that agency designated to receive such license plates. In those cases in which a motor vehicle is not impounded, a copy of the notice of noncompliance shall be attached to the vehicle license plate and both shall be delivered to the nearest office of motor vehicles within three calendar days after the notice of noncompliance was served.
http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=88607

Old 06-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #14331
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I think one of the main reasons for the TexSure computerized proof of insurance system was the frequent forgery of proof of insurance cards and/or the ability for someone to get insurance (and a card), then immediately cancel or stop payment on the policy. The new system should make it more difficult to fake coverage when they have none.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #14332
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think one of the main reasons for the TexSure computerized proof of insurance system was the frequent forgery of proof of insurance cards and/or the ability for someone to get insurance (and a card), then immediately cancel or stop payment on the policy. The new system should make it more difficult to fake coverage when they have none.
You Texans are so high tech.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #14333
Give me a forum ...

Driving North of Vero Beach, pulled in Ponce de Leon Landing. As I'm backing out I hear crunch. Guy in a county vehicle was in my blind spot. Nobody's hurt, but he insisted on calling police. When the Fl. State Trooper arrives he says they don't work accidents on private property. Guy insisted he had to have a written report, I ask too as I'm in a rental. Trooper says sure writes it up.

Called my AMEX Fidelity card, they cover collision up to 50K, no liability. Called rental 800 number, there is paperwork in glove box to fill out. Saturday I get to return the dinged up rental, paperworks all filled out. Who knows how much bs I'll go through there.

County guy was pretty nice, I got to ask all kinds of questions about living there. He gave me some great suggestions on what to look for. Better areas to look at, things so watch out for. Bad way to meet but maybe it was a good thing.
MRG
Old 06-12-2014, 03:05 PM   #14334
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You Texans are so high tech.
Yeah, but you have all the "mud bugs" and gumbo....
Old 06-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #14335
Give me a forum ...

I'm batching it because Lena's in Sweden at a family reunion.

I had my every-two-years annual physical and it went really well. My cholesterol numbers were super-good.

My doctor is easy on the eyes:

and told me I can keep doing the "annual" physicals every two years.

I bought an oscillating cutter at Harbor Freight.

I then hung out at Starbucks and had a nice healthy breakfast (except for the carrots and squash), while I waited for the library to open,:

Then I got some more books out from the library on how to write gooder. One said that "It's not a story if something doesn't go wrong," so, I'm sorry that this post isn't a story.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #14336

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Geico has a app that has your card on your phone/tablet, Arizona accepts it.

card.JPG
Old 06-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #14337
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Anyway, we are done with what we came back to town for: to visit a wedding venue with our daughter and her fiance. We are going back to the high elevation today. Can stand this heat no more!
Yep, I am back up at the boonies home. Temperature of 80F, with very low humidity of 11%, and with a strong breeze. I am on a hill, so open front and rear deck doors to let the wind blow through. Life should be this good!

Old 06-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #14338

Rain on & off all day so staying inside. Played with the macro lens and some close-up filters on a small flower plant. Macro is neat - you make discoveries. No claims about how worthwhile the discoveries are....

The arrow is pointing to what sure looks like a little butt in the flower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg purple_flower.jpg (124.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #14339
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to the hospital for a pre-op check. I'll be going in on Monday for surgery on my ulnar nerve by my elbow. I've had tingling to no feeling on 2 of my fingers for over a year and finally decided physical therapy wasn't going to fix it.

We also just got back from a trip to the Cancun Mexico area. My oldest son just got married there. During the trip, I must have injured/re-injured my left knee, jumping off the scuba diving boat onto the beach. I had bad timing and jumped off just as a wave hit, so instead of the boat being about waist level, the boat was about shoulder level when I hit the sand and water. I'll be mentioning the knee to the surgeon before the operation and maybe schedule a longer post-op appointment. In any case, the trip was a blast and we wish we were still there.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #14340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Rain on & off all day so staying inside. Played with the macro lens and some close-up filters on a small flower plant. Macro is neat - you make discoveries. No claims about how worthwhile the discoveries are....

The arrow is pointing to what sure looks like a little butt in the flower.
Maybe the flower is saying "enough with the macro and butt out". lol
Closed Thread