Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #1421
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Today, I lost one of the things dear to me.

A molar, number 14 to be exact, to periodontal infection.

It was all my fault. I thought I had good teeth. Very few cavities, and no false teeth. Until now.

I have been neglecting the 6-month cleanings, and assumed that daily flossing, brushing, and using the Waterpik was enough. When an infection flared up a month ago, my dentist prescribed an antibiotic to stop the infection. Today, when I came back for a follow up, expecting a root canal procedure, he said the tooth couldn't be saved and that the infection would be recurring. Remembering that a cousin of my wife died due to a festering tooth infection that spread to his heart valves, I consented to have the tooth pulled. It was a strong tooth that did not come off easily during extraction.

After taking a nap, I am now up and just ate a light lunch. I feel a bit bluer than usual. Can't think of a sad song to appropriately mourn the loss of a molar. If someone knows one, please post it. It does not have to be in French either.
Oh wow, NW-Bound, I am so sorry to hear that. I thought I lost a molar once but my dentist was somehow able to save it (installed the posts and built up a new tooth around them, relieving me of considerable $$$ in the process). But until he did his magic, I felt so awful, almost as though I had lost a limb. So, I can relate.

I'll bet that you will be a lot happier even with a bridge, if you can get one. A lot of the sense of loss can be alleviated by getting rid of the gap.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #1422
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

...Can't think of a sad song to appropriately mourn the loss of a molar. If someone knows one, please post it. It does not have to be in French either.
You did a very smart thing today. I hope you feel better soon.
This is not quite what you asked for, but I think the ladies will make you smile.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #1423
Give me a forum ...

And if the tooth fairy wasn't bad enough, this song is a ringer for you today.
This song was suggested by dh2b.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #1424
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Now that my paperwork is filed, all I have to do is to survive the last six months....
Want2, six months sounds so close! Youíre getting there.

Today was one of the happiest days of my life. I got in line at city hall with some happy folks applying for marriage licenses and completed one last work-related errand; my commission expired and I turned in by books. Now if anyone wants to check my records, they have to go to city hall; Iím free, free, free! Iíve never been so happy to pay a $13 filing fee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4987.jpg (537.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4989.jpg (624.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4990.jpg (632.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #1425
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Oh, how I hate flying through turbulence.....I am a white knuckle flyer!
At least you are safely home.

I'm also a white knuckle flyer . I always have a murder mystery with me to take my mind off the turbulence .
Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #1426
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Want2, six months sounds so close! Youíre getting there.

Today was one of the happiest days of my life. I got in line at city hall with some happy folks applying for marriage licenses and completed one last work-related errand; my commission expired and I turned in by books. Now if anyone wants to check my records, they have to go to city hall; Iím free, free, free! Iíve never been so happy to pay a $13 filing fee.

And here I thought you had succumbed to wedding bells !
Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #1427
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, W2R and FB for the music. I never heard of the Eiffel 65 group until now. Went on youtube to look around, and found out that they were a very popular Italian group. The song "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" was an international hit and well known in the US too! I guess despite the title of the song, you wouldn't expect to find it in my gloomy music venues.

The song did lift my spirit. And I hope the tooth fairy will surprise us all with a DOW advance of 300 pts tomorrow.

PS. About my wife's cousin who died from a seemingly benign tooth infection, he went to his dentist for his recurring toothache. I do not know all the details, except that the dentist was alarmed and called an ambulance to take him straight to the hospital. Apparently, there were other symptoms of his deteriorating health that the dentist could detect immediately. They operated on his heart shortly, and he died after the surgery. As his death was totally unexpected, his wife of 50 years was very distressed. She kept asking how one could die from a tooth ache.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #1428
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...The song did lift my spirit. And I hope the tooth fairy will surprise us all with a DOW advance of 300 pts tomorrow.
Mission accomplished!
The Blue song may bounce around in your head for a few days.
Go tooth fairy!
Tooth extractions are never fun. Hang in there and get losts of rest.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #1429
Give me a forum ...

Big j*b today - mowing the back 40 before the rains arrive later today.
Got my bug repellent sprayed straw hat, sunglasses and a John Deere STX-46 hydrostatic riding lawnmower with a brand new mower deck belt, all ready to go.
Snow shovels are put away for the season. Oops, I just jinxed myself.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #1430
Give me a forum ...

A little while ago I took some pics of my friend's house and horses. Then I groomed the horses for a while...ahhhh...heaven. I got a chance to log on Steve's computer for a few minutes and check on the forum. Hi...I miss y'all!

Gonna listen to some tunes tonight and feast on wild game. "Wild Turkey" perhaps? Will be going home this w.e.......maybe.....
Old 05-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #1431
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
A little while ago I took some pics of my friend's house and horses. Then I groomed the horses for a while...ahhhh...heaven. I got a chance to log on Steve's computer for a few minutes and check on the forum. Hi...I miss y'all!

Gonna listen to some tunes tonight and feast on wild game. "Wild Turkey" perhaps? Will be going home this w.e.......maybe.....
Sounds like fun. Drinking Wild Turkey that is
Old 05-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #1432
Give me a forum ...

Big j*b today - mowing the back 40 before the rains arrive later today.
Got my bug repellent sprayed straw hat, sunglasses and a John Deere STX-46 hydrostatic riding lawnmower with a brand new mower deck belt, all ready to go.
Snow shovels are put away for the season. Oops, I just jinxed myself.

Part II - oh I jinxed myself alright. My lawn tractor was running very rough and the throttle woud not respond. It ran just fine last week. So I checked the oil. I changed out the spark plug. I emptied the gas tank and put fresh gas in. I blew gunk out of the inline gas filter. I double checked all the electrical connections and ground. Still ran like hell.
I threatened it, using very colorful language. Still ran like hell.
So I consulted dh2b and he suggested getting a new gas filter.
That baby was soon purring like a kitten.
Freebird 10 Lawnmower 0.
Game MVP - dh2b
Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #1433
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It was all my fault. I thought I had good teeth. Very few cavities, and no false teeth. Until now.

I have been neglecting the 6-month cleanings, and assumed that daily flossing, brushing, and using the Waterpik was enough. When an infection flared up a month ago, my dentist prescribed an antibiotic to stop the infection. Today, when I came back for a follow up, expecting a root canal procedure, he said the tooth couldn't be saved and that the infection would be recurring. Remembering that a cousin of my wife died due to a festering tooth infection that spread to his heart valves, I consented to have the tooth pulled. It was a strong tooth that did not come off easily during extraction.

After taking a nap, I am now up and just ate a light lunch. I feel a bit bluer than usual. Can't think of a sad song to appropriately mourn the loss of a molar. If someone knows one, please post it. It does not have to be in French either.

From the tooth fairy. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 05-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #1434

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
My lawn tractor was running very rough and the throttle woud not respond. It ran just fine last week. So I checked the oil. I changed out the spark plug. I emptied the gas tank and put fresh gas in. I blew gunk out of the inline gas filter. I double checked all the electrical connections and ground. Still ran like hell.
I threatened it, using very colorful language. Still ran like hell.
So I consulted dh2b and he suggested getting a new gas filter.
That baby was soon purring like a kitten.
Freebird 10 Lawnmower 0.
Maybe I should check my fuel filter

Old 05-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #1435
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Fogging for mosquitoes?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #1436

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Fogging for mosquitoes?
Yea I fogged the yard for about 10 minutes. The mosquitoes are still here though.

It happened after I changed the oil - put in Mobil 1 synthetic since it was all I had. The mower didnt like it. I changed to a cheap brand and now it runs fine.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #1437
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Yea I fogged the yard for about 10 minutes. The mosquitoes are still here though.

It happened after I changed the oil - put in Mobil 1 synthetic since it was all I had. The mower didnt like it. I changed to a cheap brand and now it runs fine.
You have a LBYM mower. Just be careful it doesn't FIRE on you!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #1438
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks.

It didn't really hurt that much. I was sad because my goal of keeping my natural teeth until I die has been shattered. Now, I get to study and debate the choice between a bridge or an implant.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #1439
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Attention to detail strikes again...What is the significance of the four 9s to the left and right of the Maple Leaf ?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #1440
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Maybe I should check my fuel filter

Pretty grass. I'm into grass you know.

Closed Thread