Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #14481
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I was warned about doing that by the shop when I did it once before. For some reason the amperage in a car battery has a 50/50 chance to fry the electronics. They said don't use anything bigger than a lawn tractor battery.

Why that would be so I have no idea (why would it pull more amps than it needs?) but I will bow to the voice of experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
At first, it did not make sense. But then if people have observed this problem, then it is the job of an engineer or scientist to come up with an explanation.

I now have a theory, but of course have no way of verifying it.
I'm curious about your theory.

Occam's Razor says to me that 'they' don't know what they are talking about. I've found that even very experienced and respected repair people strongly believed some things that were just flat out wrong.

I considered that the small battery could be acting as a current limiter, and if hooked to a large battery, the motor could draw even more current, and possibly over-heat. But that really does not make sense, that would mean the motorcycle battery would be so marginal, I don't think you could count on it to reliably start the bike. And loading the battery that hard would really shorten its life.

FWIW, my lawn tractor battery was pretty marginal and getting worse for the last two years I owned it. I knew I was going to replace the whole thing, so I just jumped it with my car when needed. Probably a dozen times or more, and the motor was OK, and it's not like it spins way fast on a car battery, plus, the jumper cables are providing some limiting (though maybe not much at motorcycle current levels).

-ERD50
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #14482
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=ls99;1464243]Mounted a ditch light on my winter beater. QUOTE]

Never heard of a ditch light. Is this something common for your area?
Old 06-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #14483
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm curious about your theory.

Occam's Razor says to me that 'they' don't know what they are talking about. I've found that even very experienced and respected repair people strongly believed some things that were just flat out wrong...
I just saw your post. I will need to start another thread, and will need to draw a simple diagram.

Basically, it has to do with the low internal resistance of the car battery, the jumping cable inductance, the high internal resistance of the dead or near-dead motorcycle battery, and the transients caused by the motorcycle starter.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #14484
Moderator Emeritus

Field Day.

Assembled, installed and tested a large antenna (80-10M dipoles, FWIW). Did much radio. (I think I made about a third of all the radio contacts for our club over a 24 hour period.) Took down and stowed the big antenna, packed up and came home. Took a nap.

I think I'm ready for another nap.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #14485
Give me a forum ...

We went out to our favorite Vietnamese restaurant for lunch, looked at condo open houses in the afternoon and then walked the dog.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:23 AM   #14486

Returned last night from my trip back to my home town. It was great seeing old friends again, some of them I have known since kindergarten.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #14487
Gone but not forgotten

Sitting around waiting for an appliance repair man . My LG refrigerator that I raved about suddenly stopped freezing . We caught it quick and moved most of the food to our old refrigerator in the garage . This refrigerator is only four years old .
Old 06-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #14488

Went to get a haircut and asked for a light trim. She trimmed off about 3 inches. Well, it's warm out and the hair will grow back. But now my beard is thicker than my hair.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #14489
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Went to get a haircut and asked for a light trim. She trimmed off about 3 inches. Well, it's warm out and the hair will grow back. But now my beard is thicker than my hair.
Trim your beard. That's what I do.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #14490

The roofers started work today and began tearing off the old shingles and replacing rotted fascia. While removing the 60 ft long seamless gutter along the back of the house, they managed to bend it badly in two places. The crew boss assures me "we will fix it". The owner of the company is coming out to take a look at it tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0706.jpg (409.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #14491
Give me a forum ...

Please post photo of the fix.

More?

And even more!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #14492

The matting board that I ordered last week finally arrived. Mounted, double-matted and framed one of my photos. A first effort at double matting and it ain't perfect but good enough to hang on the wall. For now at least.

If I don't point out the flaws I doubt anyone will notice.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #14493

Forgot to add the photos...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Framed-1.jpg (134.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Framed-2.jpg (124.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #14494
Give me a forum ...

Nice, Walt!

REWahoo, hope they can make it right.

As for me, I just got back from the cable company, where Frank dropped his TV coverage this afternoon like I did back in May. So now we are twins in a sense, except that he uses his Netflix a lot and I just have other interests and hobbies that fill up that time. Says Frank, "Next: landline!"

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #14495

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Nice, Walt!
Yes, very nice...
Old 06-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #14496
Moderator Emeritus

I agree - very nice! Walt won't ever have to paint walls again - He'll have them all covered with photos
Old 06-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #14497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Walt won't ever have to paint walls again - He'll have them all covered with photos
I wish. DW has warned me that she's not going to "live in an art gallery". Two photos per room is the max.

So I guess I'll have to make them 48"x96".
Old 06-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #14498
Give me a forum ...

Lovely photos, Walt. I need to find a creative hobby. I was reading a wish list on another forum of all the things people would do if they didn't have full time jobs and I felt like a time squanderer for having the time and not doing something more exotic, like learning French or taking an oil painting class.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:22 PM   #14499

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Lovely photos, Walt. I need to find a creative hobby.
Only if you want to. There are more than a few days when I don't do anything but take up space.

I used to feel guilty about it but with therapy I got over it.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #14500
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I wish. DW has warned me that she's not going to "live in an art gallery". Two photos per room is the max.
Very nice.

There should a way for you to print more photos, and to make more frames, as you like to do so?

Like selling them?

Closed Thread