Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #14521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I finished staining the 700-sq.ft. rear deck yesterday, so today only did a bit of fixing up little things around the boonies home. The day before, the contractor's workers were done with fixing up the lap siding on the south side of the home, and removed the scaffolds, allowing me to work on the deck myself.

I woke up last night at 2AM to the pit-pat of the rain, but it was not enough to even wet the ground. It just came down a lot harder in today's late afternoon. It's about time the monsoon gets here, as the trees need it. With this first rain of the season, the temperature drops down to 65F.

My children are driving up after work today, but they have not arrived yet. Then, tomorrow two of my nieces are coming with their husbands. They told me they were bringing a lot of booze. It's July 4th party time!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #14522
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Watched DW take off for work and return for the last time - She retired today on her birthday. She says she is going to follow me around all day from now on. My life as I know it will never be the same.
Congrats to her! Now you will need to find ways to get out of the house during the day. Maybe a little part time gig?

Old 07-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #14523
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to see Tammy today, caught the 10:35am show....thoroughly enjoyed it!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #14524

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Congratulations to her, condolences to you.
Thanks! - Going ok so far. I haven't had to go shopping with her yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Congrats to her! Now you will need to find ways to get out of the house during the day. Maybe a little part time gig?
Exactly - I need to find an escape that's farther away. My workshop is within her snooping distance.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #14525
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks! - Going ok so far. I haven't had to go shopping with her yet.
I somehow manage to irritate DW by sitting patiently on a bench somewhere while she shops, so she has given up taking me shopping with her. (I don't go shopping, I go to buy something - and then come home.)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 07-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #14526

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I somehow manage to irritate DW by sitting patiently on a bench somewhere while she shops, so she has given up taking me shopping with her. (I don't go shopping, I go to buy something - and then come home.)
Is my DW her sister? Same thing here.

Today we went down to her uncle's place on the Patuxent river not far from the Chesapeake Bay. He has a nice dock and small beach there. Lots of great food (everyone brings some and it's always too much) and a good time was had by all. We didn't stay for fireworks (which were canceled for the hurricane that didn't happen anyway) because the drive home is just under three hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grillin'-1.jpg (167.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Pax_River-1.jpg (150.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Pax_River-2.jpg (187.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #14527
Full time employment: Posting here.

Went to our local nursery, got some flowers and plants for the garden (bell pepper, tomato, cucumber), got the groceries for a big BBQ on Saturday (St Louis style ribs), enjoyed some music on the back patio with something cold to sip...a good day!
Old 07-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #14528
Recycles dryer sheets

Hopped aboard the venerable ferry the "Queen of Nanaimo" for a 10 day holiday on "my island". I'm going to treat this as an ER sneak preview. Lots of kayaking to be done, as well as some fishing, crabbing, and maybe some prawning.

Recently discovered an amazing fish taco recipe and can't wait to try it with some freshly caught rockfish, lingcod, or halibut.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #14529
Recycles dryer sheets

Weather looks to be nice for your preview, Coho and crabbing just opened here. Enjoy
Old 07-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #14530
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by springnr View Post
Weather looks to be nice for your preview, Coho and crabbing just opened here. Enjoy
Never had much luck catching salmon.... I actually find bottomfish tastier and a heck of a lot easier to catch... A 15 - 20 pound lingcod is almost a guarantee when you drop a line around our "secret spot".
Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #14531

Spending money. Our driveway project is in full force. We're paying for the most grunt-like work, having the old driveway torn up and hauled away. We are DIYers - but breaking up and hauling away 1000 sf of concrete, plus another 12 cubic yards of dirt would take our entire retirement. The crew and their equipement will have it done in less than 8 hours.

tomorrow loads of DG and sand arrive to form the new base. DH, sons, and I will be the labor to spread and compact it.

Friday the pavers arrive. Same labor arrangement - DH, sons, and I will lay the pavers.

We're paying the kids - older son wants to build a new super-gaming computer and at $15/hour, he should earn a good bit towards it.

All in - it will cost us between $8k and $10k. (including the cost of the labor we hired today.) We had quotes for $25k-30k to have it done entirely by others.

I suspect my family will be taking a lot of vitamin I in the next 2 weeks.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #14532
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Watched DW take off for work and return for the last time - She retired today on her birthday. She says she is going to follow me around all day from now on. My life as I know it will never be the same.
I know a couple like that in real life. She is like velcro. Poor sap has no private time at all. She knows how to drive, yet insists he drive her everywhere and sits around while she does her thing.

They have only been married 40 years.

Wish you luck.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:44 PM   #14533
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
tomorrow loads of DG and sand arrive to form the new base. DH, sons, and I will be the labor to spread and compact it.

Friday the pavers arrive. Same labor arrangement - DH, sons, and I will lay the pavers...
This reminds me of the brick patio I laid in the backyard of my former home 30 years ago. It was perhaps 15'x15'. Handling those bricks wore out the skin of my fingertips, so we used leather gloves. Wore holes in them too.

PS. Just now, thought of using Google Earth to see if it's still there. Zooming in, I saw that they used the patio as a base and put a shed over it.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:12 PM   #14534

Gym day, spent a hour or so shooting photos in the basement. Most turned out to be throwaways because I forgot to light the background reflector enough and it came out gray instead of white.

Do-over is tomorrow.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #14535

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I know a couple like that in real life. She is like velcro. Poor sap has no private time at all. She knows how to drive, yet insists he drive her everywhere and sits around while she does her thing.

They have only been married 40 years.

Wish you luck.
Thanks. DW ventured out on her own today for the first time as a retired person - for a hair appointment. No way I was going there with her.

Besides, I need to finish up my nephew's table in the workshop this week before his relatives come for a visit. DW does not stick to me when I'm out there.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 PM   #14536

I just got back from picking up my car, which now has a new timing belt and tires.

Boy. Good thing I like it - that bill was serious!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #14537

On a car with interference engine the timing belt is the cheap service. Broken timing belt=bent parts in engine=scrap metal value.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #14538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Forgot to add the photos...
WOW! beautiful!
Old 07-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #14539

Got a tooth pulled... back molar, so it's not critical or cosmetic issue... served me well for 50+ years!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #14540
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Got a tooth pulled... back molar, so it's not critical or cosmetic issue... served me well for 50+ years!
That happened to me a few years ago. So far, it's the only one.

Losing one is not bad, but keep that up and I will have to chew with front teeth. Been thinking about an implant, but I am lazy.