Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #14581
Administrator

Today I bought Frank lunch again, and we talked about ways I could spend some of this Social Security windfall. We discussed possible trips by car or train, and whether or not I might want to move up to a nicer home and mused about other long term thinking like that.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #14582
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hi Freebird! How exciting to be getting your delayed FERS pension. I can relate to the fun of getting an additional income stream established.
Thanks!
There is a bit of a backlog on OPM processing retirement packages. Mine will be very simple so hopefully it will go right through the system.

I plan initially to invest it into my existing VWAHX mutual fund and generate some serious TE dividends every 30 days, payable into my bank account instead of being reinvested. Old habits die hard.
The compounding factor with the extra monthly boost will be phenomenal. It will just like when I was w*rking and investing. Yeeehaaaaaa!

Old 07-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #14583
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Thanks!
There is a bit of a backlog on OPM processing retirement packages. Mine will be very simple so hopefully it will go right through the system.

I plan initially to invest it into my existing VWAHX mutual fund and generate some serious TE dividends every 30 days, payable into my bank account instead of being reinvested. Old habits die hard.
The compounding factor with the extra monthly boost will be phenomenal. It will just like when I was w*rking and investing. Yeeehaaaaaa!
Woo-hoo!! I am so happy for you. Sounds like you have figured out exactly what you want to do with it, and that's terrific. Yes, it does take a while to get it through OPM, but I can testify that once your FERS pension gets started it comes like clockwork every month. Even though mine is pretty small, I do very much appreciate having it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #14584

Finished a cabinet for my nephew today. Pickled white oak with cedar shelves and drawer bottoms. He spent a lot of time in my workshop helping build it. It was fun. Next up - Toy box for my niece's baby girl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140712-DSC_0012.jpg (436.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #14585

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Maybe they is for you...
They is, but that's all that is.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #14586

Yesterday my sons, husband, and I moved 13.5 cu yards of class 2 road base from two giant piles into an even 4" spread across the 1k sf driveway. We moved about 20 tons of material. (It weighed more in total - but the piles actually covered some of the area we needed to cover.)

Today I started the day with a few hits of vitamin I (ibuprofin). Then my husband and I took turns running the compactor. Oh - and I did 4 loads of laundry when it wasn't my turn on the plate compactor.

We have a hard deadline of next Saturday for our new driveway. New tenant moving in to our granny flat and he needs to cross the driveway to get to the gate that leads to it. Hardly feels like retirement with all this hard w*rk.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #14587
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
...We moved about 20 tons of material...
Too bad W2R does not live nearby to help. She lifts this much every single day, and while eating just salad too.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #14588
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Finished a cabinet for my nephew today. Pickled white oak with cedar shelves and drawer bottoms. He spent a lot of time in my workshop helping build it. It was fun. Next up - Toy box for my niece's baby girl.
Really nice, like the simple look. I enjoy working with white oak although most of my wood stash is red oak. Thanks for sharing and great that your nephew was able to help with the build!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #14589
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the Kyak comments. Here is the pair. Note the bow design. My handbuilt I modified to wave cutter version over ten years ago. The same feature I was looking for in my new one. They are both 18 feet long. The new one has the luxury feature of rudder and stowage areas. Besides it is about 40 lb vs the old one around 95 lb. I overkilled it on the epoxy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kyaks New and Old 001.jpg (983.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 AM   #14590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Too bad W2R does not live nearby to help. She lifts this much every single day, and while eating just salad too.
LOL!!! Very true!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #14591
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Nice work, Ron. Having those craftsman skills and the tools is an asset and the pieces you have created will hopefully be family heirlooms.

A member in our extended family has the same skill set and helped me with some construction projects a few years back. I am not that skilled with wood work, although I subscribe to Handyman magazine and have built a few things and one very nice workbench.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #14592
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
LOL!!! Very true!
If I did not know W2R is a woman, my mental image of her would be something like this.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #14593
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If I did not know W2R is a woman, my mental image of her would be something like this.

Popeye is my hero!!! But honestly I don't lift 20 tons every day (only did that once on June 2nd); more like 15-16 tons two or three times a week. And I don't eat salad every day except when I gain at Weight Watchers like I did this week. If I lifted 20 tons and then ate nothing but salad every day, then I might not have to go to Weight Watchers at all. And I would lose all that jiggling like jello when I walk.

Rodi, that sounds like a lot of hard work! A new driveway will make it all worthwhile, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #14594
Give me a forum ...

So, you do not look like this either?

Imagine how easier forum moderation would be if the female mods look like that!

Old 07-13-2014, 11:08 AM   #14595
Administrator

Ewww!! She looks like she is taking testosterone or something.

No, I look like the weakest, most jiggly obese older woman you can imagine. I have zero visible muscle at all, unfortunately (I'd like a little, but not like that photo!). When I hold up my arm like that, you wouldn't see any muscle at all; all you would see are the "bat wings" (skin and fat) hanging down off of my upper arm. Anyway, nobody would guess that I even GO to the gym if they looked at me.

Just to keep in touch with REAL female strength and what it looks like, here is US Olympic Weight Lifter Holley Mangold, competing at the London Olympics:

Of course, I am much older and more jiggly than she is! Also 100 pounds lighter than she is.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #14596
Recycles dryer sheets

When the bodies of water we must paddle across prove to be just too large for mere muscle and sinew, sometimes we must resort to an alternate form of transport. Kind of cool to have an entire ferry to ourselves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (688.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #14597

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Nice work, Ron. Having those craftsman skills and the tools is an asset and the pieces you have created will hopefully be family heirlooms.

A member in our extended family has the same skill set and helped me with some construction projects a few years back. I am not that skilled with wood work, although I subscribe to Handyman magazine and have built a few things and one very nice workbench.
Thanks, We delivered it to my nephew's new place, and his wife gave us the first visit tour suggesting new projects along the way. looks like I'll be busy for a while.

Good job getting the workbench built. It's important to get it done early in the hobby. With a workbench, some tools, and some info off the internet, you can build anything.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #14598

Replaced a shower/tub faucet after discovering sporadic water drips on the basement floor one floor below. Had to repipe the faucet area because the new faucet is different than the old one. Good thing that I could get at it from an access panel in a bedroom closet.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #14599
Give me a forum ...

We took the dog hiking at Redwood Regional Park in the morning -

and had a cookout for dinner.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #14600

I cried this morning.

Chopping scallions was the cause. Making tuna fish salad for a lawn concert picnic this afternoon. My brother and his DW will be there, first time they will have tried my tuna salad. DW says its the only decent thing best dish I make.