Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #14601
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We finally got a flat screen...it was delivered earlier today. It certainly looks better than the 'boat'...

DH was frustrated trying to find a console to fit the tv and all his stereo equipment. So, we re-purposed a dresser we had to fit our needs. He took all the guts out of the dresser, made shelves and stained them. We'll prolly put some grill cloth on the front of the cabinet.

Now we just have to get rid of the boat....and I have to learn how to work the remote/other functions on the new tv...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05596.jpg (493.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05605.jpg (428.5 KB, 22 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #14602
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the 20th Century.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 07-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #14603
Give me a forum ...

Well, that old TV screen was flat too. It's simply got more "meat" behind that screen.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #14604
Give me a forum ...

Heh...I just got a cell phone last year. My friends tease me because it's a flip phone.....

Right now DH is disassembling the old tv. I guess you could say he's working on the meat part now... We were going to donate it, but because of its age and poundage, we decided to take it apart and will be able to recycle most of it.

The really good news for me is the old remote works with the new tv.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #14605
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

Now we just have to get rid of the boat....and I have to learn how to work the remote/other functions on the new tv...
here's a suggestion on the remote... works great for Grandma too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1460309_10152069360417931_287214752_n25.jpg (37.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #14606
Moderator Emeritus

Recovering from yesterday's hike. I knew it would be long, but the topo maps made it look deceptively easy. We soldiered on nonetheless and, after 7 hours, we finally reached our destination. We treated ourselves to an In-N-Out burger on the way back home.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #14607
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
here's a suggestion on the remote... works great for Grandma too
........that's exactly what I need!
Old 07-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #14608
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Welcome to the 20th 21st Century.
I still have an old TV that looks similar. It's a Hitachi rear projection 42" model. It was the 1st HD TV I bought, and I was the first in the family to buy one, back in 2001 or 2002. My relatives ooh'ed and ah'ed when they visited. Lord of the Rings on DVD looked spectacular on it, back then.

That TV just keeps on working, while other later TVs have bit the dust. We do not watch much TV, so brought it up to the boonies home. I hate throwing away stuff that still works. And it's a good thing we do not buy "stuff" that often, else would run out of storage places.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #14609
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Welcome to the 20th 21st Century.
Guess you completely missed my joke, eh?

I had one of those CRT projection monsters too, up until about 4 years ago, and it worked fine, although the screen was a bit dim. Gave it to my son-in-law's mom (a widow of limited means) and when we transported it over to her house, I thought I'd clean the projection lenses. They were really dusty and cleaning them immediately solved the screen brightness issue.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 07-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #14610
Give me a forum ...

Hmm... Cleaning the lens... That means I'd have to take the rear cover off. That much work must wait until a day when I get snowed in up there.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:38 PM   #14611

Heavy rain showers on & off today so pretty much stayed home. I did mail off the claim form & receipts for the lightning damage about six weeks ago totaling $1450. Power company says they'll pay for it because the whole-house surge protector they provide didn't work.

Played around in Photoshop with a light-painted photo of a plant to remove the stupid information sign that I forgot to remove from the pot. A few seconds to take the sign out before taking the photo, almost an hour with the pen tool in Photoshop to select the sign and pot it was in and remove those.

This might go on a wall somewhere here, still thinking about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light_painted_plant-2.jpg (183.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg light_painted_plant-1.jpg (169.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #14612
Give me a forum ...

With a black background like that which uses a torrent of ink, the maker of your printer must love you. Have you used recharged cartridges and found them to be satisfactory in quality?
Old 07-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #14613

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
With a black background like that which uses a torrent of ink, the maker of your printer must love you. Have you used recharged cartridges and found them to be satisfactory in quality?
Not with the photo printer and I don't want to. I do use store-brand laser cartridges but photo printing is a whole different ball game. Epson and Canon, the two leaders in professional photo printers, have spent millions developing the inks and papers for color accuracy and longevity.

Even with my old HP photo printer (did not survive the lightning strike) with refilled cartridges I could see a slight difference almost immediately and after only a few months there was considerable fading.

As with so many other things, at least with photo ink and paper, you get what you pay for.

With that photo above, what I could do is change the black background to white but since it was done with light painting (30-second exposure, nighttime, lit with a moving flashlight) that would kind of take away the effect.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #14614
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Guess you completely missed my joke, eh?

I had one of those CRT projection monsters too, up until about 4 years ago, and it worked fine, although the screen was a bit dim. Gave it to my son-in-law's mom (a widow of limited means) and when we transported it over to her house, I thought I'd clean the projection lenses. They were really dusty and cleaning them immediately solved the screen brightness issue.
......... ....I tell ya REWahoo...mah mind is slowly circling the drain.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #14615
Give me a forum ...

I made green garlic pesto and sent asked Mr B to go to Aldi's for some fresh Italian bread to toast and smear the pesto on.

He has the list of other needed stuff too, however he'll come back with even more decadent goodies.

But...he's shopping and I'm not. I think I'll keep that man.

PS He does no laundry or dusting, so it's a great tradeoff.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #14616
Recycles dryer sheets

Ran banking, Costco errands with DH. Made a habanero cheese sauce for a large bowl of broccoli for lunch. I'll be volunteering all afternoon. Zoodles and spicy tomato meat sauce are already made for an easy, late supper. (Zoodles are my current summer food crush.)
Old 07-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #14617
Moderator Emeritus

I got another patent granted today.

United States Patent: 8780126

This one's a continuation from something I invented back in 2006. I think it's highly amusing, an example of a corporation and a BigLaw firm cruising on autopilot for some 8 years now on one invention.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #14618
Give me a forum ...

Hi there Michael Paquette. Of course I never doubt that it is your real name.

I am not going to post my patent or publications. It does not say NW-Bound on it.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #14619
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hi there Michael Paquette. Of course I never doubt that it is your real name.
I don't bother trying to hide who I am on forums. Sort of obvious from the user name, eh?

it keeps me honest, and the only disadvantage is the occasional stalker. They're pretty easy to address, though. The local police and post office know us. (The narcissists are the worst. The paranoids are just... well, they're crazy people. WIC 5150 psych hold...)
Old 07-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #14620
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
... it keeps me honest...
Yeah, I do worry about that myself, hence want to stay anonymous.

For example, people who really know me may just poke fun at my often claim of superior memory, which is often sneered at by my own wife, of all people. She often has to look for things that I misplace. She fails to acknowledge the other myriad facts or seemingly inconsequential events that I remember. She sees the things that I forget, but how does she know about the things I do remember? But I digress...